Four Williams scores in 2005

tpigeon

www.spielbergfilms.com reports that Steven Spielberg's Vengeance will be released in late December of this year. This of course means that there should be yet another new Williams score in 2005, which is great news! I only hope he will have time to compose it. I guess he'll move right into Geisha after War of the Worlds then have most of the Fall to score Vengeance. Nevertheless, great news!

Ted

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. I can almost guarantee this means OUT for Memoirs. Well actually let me calculate this.

Sith rough cut in October > recording in February = 4 months-ish.

Worlds rough cut late February > recording late May/early June = 4 months-ish.

Memoirs rough cut July > recording November = 5 months-ish (-1¼mths overlap = 3¾ full months).

[2½ months overlap]

Vengeance rough cut late September > recording early December = 3 months-ish (-1¼mths overlap = 7 full weeks).

:S that's tight!

Oh and this below is...

...From the Hollywood Reporter:

Universal Pictures is planning a Dec. 23 launch for Steven Spielberg's film about the 1972 Munich Olympics.

The untitled project, a co-production between Universal and DreamWorks with Universal handling domestic distribution, had been set to go before the cameras last year. Preproduction had begun in Europe and casting was under way when Spielberg decided to have "Angels in America" playwright Tony Kushner do a rewrite on the project, on which writers Eric Roth and Charles Randolph also had worked.

With the project postponed, Spielberg moved quickly to begin filming his adaptation of H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds," a Paramount Pictures/DreamWorks co-production starring Tom Cruise, which Paramount will release June 29.

Spielberg now plans to begin filming the Munich project in the summer.

The specifics of the Munich project, which is believed to focus on the terrorist attack on Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics and its aftermath, have been carefully guarded.

Spielberg is producing along with Kathleen Kennedy and Barry Mendel.

Speaking to analysts Tuesday at the Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Pictures chairman Stacey Snider said a Spielberg film was being planned for a release late this year, though she did not mention details.

Universal's developing year-end lineup is potentially formidable because at the moment it also includes such films as Peter Jackson's "King Kong" and the screen version of the Mel Brooks musical "The Producers.")

This is going to be an awesome year, heralding back to the glory of 2001-2002. Realize that in those two years, Williams produced A.I., HPSS, AOTC, Minority Report, COS, and CMIYC - an incredible output! It was during that heavy production that I got serious about scores. I hope 2005 is similarly inspirational.

It would be very tight for him to fit the score in, but seeing that him and Steven are buddies, who knows. Lets just keep our fingers crossed that we will be graced with four great scores this year.

From everything I've heard about it (which, granted, isn't much), Vengence doesn't sound very interesting at all. Maybe it's because I don't know much about what happened at the '72 Olympics.

Ray Barnsbury

well, I think Spielberg is going to fast, he needs to slow down, and not rush this picture. Production values are going to start to drop.

Ray, I think this has less to do with the Olympics, and more to do with the need for revenge after the Olympics.

This is a movie that is going to hurt Spielberg's career, IMHO.

score wise I wouldn't mind at all if Williams was/wasn't able to to do Vengeance seeing as we're already getting some other (hopefully) great scores

I think Spielberg would go as far as postponing the release of Vengence so John would be ready, or at least has more time to devote to the scoring process. His loyalty to Williams is unfounded, and I believe that while John is still able, Steven will make sure his schedule is copacetic.

Tim

This is going to be an awesome year, heralding back to the glory of 2001-2002. Realize that in those two years, Williams produced A.I., HPSS, AOTC, Minority Report, COS, and CMIYC - an incredible output! It was during that heavy production that I got serious about scores. I hope 2005 is similarly inspirational.

Aside from HPSS I don't think this prolific output represented an inspirational high point in Williams' career...

Zimmer on Vengeance....? Hmmm deja-vu anyone?

I've learned from my "mistakes" in the past by paranoidically-concluding that because of conflicting schedules Williams will not be able to score a film.

Nobody can tell what will happen with Memoirs or Vengeance.

To be honest; I don't think these two films will require as much music as Revenge of the Sith and War of the Worlds.

Music can easily be recorded and be inserted editorially on Memoirs and Vengeance (as I'm sure was done on Schindler for a large part). It doesn't have to be synched as much as on a sci-fi-action film (please don't mention the messy finales of the prequels).

We'll see. But I REALLY hope Williams will write 4 excellent scores this year to excellent films. I could be his best year EVER, finally eclipsing 1977...

No, I'm sorry. I've concluded that it will be highly unlikely that Williams will score Memoirs Of A Geisha and Vengeance since both films will have the SAME RELEASE DATE (December 23). Things have been tight before: Seven Years In Tibet (October 1997) and Amistad (December 1997), Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (November 2002) and Catch Me If You Can (December 2002). Those must have been tight schedules, but the release dates of those films were at least one month apart. The only way Williams can realistically score both films will be if either the release date of one of the films is postponed or if both films require very little music.

well, I think Spielberg is going to fast, he needs to slow down, and not rush this picture.  Production values are going to start to drop.

Yes, Spielberg needs to be more professional and start paying attention to the production of his films, or they're going to get crammy without him noticing.

Yeah, and Spielberg's latest films don't feel rushed, neither did Schindler's List or Amistad, films Spielberg made straight after the first two Jurassic Park films.

Memoirs of Geisha just finished shooting, so I'm sure Williams will be able to jump right into that after he's finished with War of the Worlds, or at least very soon after. So he'll have the end of the year entirely for Vengeance.

Ted

well, I think Spielberg is going to fast, he needs to slow down, and not rush this picture.  Production values are going to start to drop.

I disagree, Spielberg made Schindler in about the same time-frame coming off of Jurassic Park. However, it did take 4 years for Spielberg to cook up TLW.

Ray, I think this has less to do with the Olympics, and more to do with the need for revenge after the Olympics.

This is a movie that is going to hurt Spielberg's career, IMHO.

The Olympics would probably serve only as the into to the movie, purely expositional. Why do you say it will hurt Spielbergs career? I read a huge article about the real life incident in Newsweek or one of those magazines and it was a compelling tale just on those 4-5 pages. Sounds like it has potential to be a huge and an Oscar contender. Is Ben Kingsley still attached to this?

Jeff

Memoirs of Geisha just finished shooting, so I'm sure Williams will be able to jump right into that after he's finished with War of the Worlds, or at least very soon after. So he'll have the end of the year entirely for Vengeance.

You're right, Ted. I guess he will have between 3 and 5 free months after "Memoirs of a Geisha" (and before the end of the year).

However, it did take 4 years for Spielberg to cook up TLW.  

what a weak statement, and untrue.

The Lost World was not published until Sept. 1995, the movie was shot in the summer of 96.

For those concerned that Williams won't have time for this, as I have said, Geisha is already finished shooting. There is no reason why he shouldnt be able to start scoring it soon after War of the Worlds. Also, he has written scores for movies that have come out nearly at the same time before. If I'm not mistaken, The Terminal and Prisoner of Azkaban came out within two or three weeks of each other. But their shooting and post-production schedules were totally different, which allowed him enough time to compose the scores to both films. Geisha is already done shooting and Vengeance won't even start production until later this year. Everything will work out fine. I am also reminded of that quote from Spielberg recently at a concert, I think it goes like this: "The only man who will ever score my films is John Williams."

Ted

That just makes me sick. Then again the idea of anybody other than Williams scoring a Spielberg films makes me sick.

Ted, feminist

That just makes me sick. Then again the idea of anybody other than Giacchino scoring a Spielberg films makes me sick.

:(

However, it did take 4 years for Spielberg to cook up TLW.  

what a stupid statement, and untrue.

The Lost World was not published until Sept. 1995, the movie was shot in the summer of 96.

How stupid of you to take what I said literally. It took Spielberg four years to do his-next-movie-after-Schindlers-List-but-not-necessarily-spent-all-four-of-those years-working-on-it-in-other-words-he-had-four-years-to-get-his-creative-juices-flowing-and-look-at-the-results. Sorry Joe, I'll be more clear next time so you can understand my words.

Jeff - who remembers reading TLW as soon as it came out and knowing instantly it would make a terrible movie

That just makes me sick. Then again the idea of anybody other than Giacchino scoring a Spielberg films makes me sick.

:(

:P

Ted

Who says it's rushed... directors like John Ford could direct 4 movies in one year.

Conversely, it was 22 years between movies when George Lucas directed Phantom Menace, and the results speak for themselves. If a director is on a roll I say, keep rolling!

Jeff - who remembers reading TLW as soon as it came out and knowing instantly it would make a terrible movie

So.....you have never seen the movie???

:?

As it is different from the novel.

So.....you have never seen the movie???

I've seen it several times, although it's going on 10 years since I've read the book. Wow, 10 years.... :|

It is different from the novel.

Not different enough. Admittedly, I don't remember much about the book. I remember there being two children instead of just one, a step in the right direction but again, not far enough. There were two kids in the first JP, why do the same thing again in TLW? I also don't think that the dinos ever made it to the mainland in the book, am I right?

Jeff - who'd rather not remember after all

No, they did not. The plot of the book was radically different. In the book, it is not a group of InGen that goes to the island, but a group of Biosyn. In fact, Lewis Dodgson himself goes to the island (he's the man you see off paying Nedry in the first film - this was also in the first book) in order to collect some dinosaur eggs and get filthy stinking rich. Hammond did not appear, obviously, as he died in the first book. There was also some weird stuff in the book. The Iguanodons were highly adaptive chameleons, meaning they didn't just change their skincolor from light to dark, but could actually copy paterns onto their skin, making them virtually invisible.

I don't remember a whole lot of other specifics, though.

I was a bit disappointed in the way Crichton so casually let Malcolm return. The first book clearly stated that Malcolm died of his wounds - the epilogue contains something about him not getting a proper burial.

- Marc

No that was the first one (well the little ones did). And a ship was stopped in the first novel as well. (That is IIRC.)

In the second novel the "other team" came in and tried to get the eggs out to start another dino island.

I finds it odd that I remember this but can't remember characters names. Harding (or Sattler I can't recall) and Malcolm I sort of remember. The rest of them: Doctor on the island, guy who ate McDee's in the car (or was that another Crichton novel?), the Doctor's guide and the "other team" (Three Guys).

I still find the parts with raptors were better in the novel. And of course Ian with the morphine was memorable.

Yes, the first book has the compies leaving the island and living on the coast of Costa Rica. One of the book's early scenes is the inspiration of the opening of TLW. And one of the things in JP - the book - was that Grant and the kids had to get to the visitor's center quickly because they had to stop the boat and they were the only ones who knew there were creatures (raptors IIRC) on board. Well, that, and they were about to get eaten any second.

- Marc

I was a bit disappointed in the way Crichton so casually let Malcolm return. The first book clearly stated that Malcolm died of his wounds - the epilogue contains something about him not getting a proper burial.

All that stuff where he was muttering about huge scientific change was rather odd too me.

~Stugis, very excited for all four Williams scores this year; between Vengeance and Giesha, I'd rather see him do Vengeance

It doesn't really matter to me if Williams scores 3 or 4 movies to me.For years now,Episode 3 was THE score Williams HAD to complete no matter what,he was absolutely not allowed to retire,get sick,or die before he completed it,this is a holy grail score in many ways for me and a greatly anticipated event.I said that after that,he can do whatever,since he has achieved his goal of bringing the Star Wars music to a full circle.

Of course,Harry Potter had modified this view a bit,but since he quit that....

K.M.

This article -- http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/ne...p?news_id=16563 -- confirms a June start for shooting.

That's exactly when Memoirs of a Geisha is wrapping filming. They could take a whole month to come up with a rough edit of that film, and Williams could score it in two months tops, by late September. That then leaves Williams and Spielberg with at least two full months to work together to spot and score his film--with shooting of Vengeance probably finishing around the September mark, for a December 23rd release.

I think that, since neither this film nor Memoirs will require much post-production/visual effects etc, this tight schedule will be a piece of cake. The only problem is that Williams just won't have much of a break all year. A long Christmas/New Year break from composing (at least film scores) may be just the ticket he needs to launch into Indiana Jones IV and The Uniter (the Lincoln biopic).