Do you feel a void?

King Mark

Hmm,I don't know about you,but the reveal of the Ep 3 soundtrack was a major event in my John Williams fandom,and one the things I was looking forward to in life in general since like forever.Now it's over.It's been listened to.It's good,but not the powerhouse I thought it would be.It's over...now what?Now there's no more Williams scores Potter or SW films to look forward to,probably forever.How do you feel today?

K.M.Who feels a bit empty.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROTS lived up to my expectations (so far), but yes, it does feel like the end of things to look forward to (though that's obviously not true). We still get to wait to hear the entire score, along with AOTC

There's still seeing the movie, hearing the score in the film, and hearing the unreleased music even if it's in the film. After that, I'm sure I'll feel a bit of a void. This was very important to me too, Star Wars is what got me into Williams and they will always be my favorite scores of all time.

And on the non-SW front there's still War of the Worlds to look forward to. :wave:

Kind of but not really, each Star Wars score was getting to be more disappointing than the last one. It's possible Williams will return to Potter, I'm still holding out hope. I wonder if Columbus will ever return to directing a Potter film... that would help bring Williams back.

Jeff

I think the Prequel scores are close cousins to the Potter scores. So if you like the Potter scores, the only reason for disliking the Prequel scores would be either disliking the movies or comparing them to the old scores.

I have a sort of feeling like that while listening to the End Credits. It is sad to think it is the end...

Yeah, I kinda get the feeling that the insertion of "The Throne Room" is John's personal good-bye to the 6-movie franchise he's composed music to for a period of almost 30 years.

If Indy 4 is done, I wonder if we won't see some similar arrangement in the End Credits.

His best work may still be ahead of us

I still have faith that he will maintain a consistent, high quality output of scores, but do you really think he's likely to outdo Superman, Star Wars, ET, etc?

His best work may still be ahead of us

I still have faith that he will maintain a consistent, high quality output of scores, but do you really think he's likely to outdo Superman, Star Wars, ET, etc?

he might... but he won't go back to his 70s-80s style of writing... thus I don't think we'll ever react to a score written today the same way we do to his 70s-80s scores.

he might... but he won't go back to his 70s-80s style of writing... thus I don't think we'll ever react to a score written today the same way we do to his 70s-80s scores.

I already reacted that way to Phantom Menace, Harry Potter 1 and 3... So its still a familiar reaction for me oh jaded ones.

No....I feel somewhat underwhelmed by RotS so far, but I've been warming up to it slowly. But just like others said, this wasn't a defining moment or score in my eyes. Simply another entry into Williams' vast repertoire.

Ray Barnsbury

The Void. One of the better episodes of VOYAGER. Ha!

I have felt the void ever since I lost chin 43 in a wrestling match with Zsa-Zsa Gabor. Never the same again. Don't worry, little ones. I am here to protect thee.

Hitch

I have a sort of feeling like that while listening to the End Credits. It is sad to think it is the end...

Yeah, I kinda get the feeling that the insertion of "The Throne Room" is John's personal good-bye to the 6-movie franchise he's composed music to for a period of almost 30 years.

If Indy 4 is done, I wonder if we won't see some similar arrangement in the End Credits.

Well that's for sure. Indy movies always end with Indy theme, movie theme, indy theme...

Well that's for sure. Indy movies always end with Indy theme, movie theme, indy theme...

True.Multiple quasi identical renditions of the Raider's March.

K.M.Who hadn't thought of that.

Frankly, given the sheer amount of recycled material in the ROTS score -- almost note-for-note ESB, Skywalker Symphony material, Leia's theme, several TPM bits -- and some fan report I read recently that described Williams as "frail," I'm actually wondering if we might not be hearing Williams' final compositions this year.

Bite your tongue!

Believe me, I don't WANT it to happen. I'm just saying: Listening to this score -- full of underscore, albeit fine underscore, where much of its strongest material was written years ago, barring "Battle of the Heroes" -- I worry about Williams' energy level.

Consider my tongue bitten. But.

Maybe we should start a petition saying that JW needs to quit taking one day off of a week. He should be working a 7 day schedule. But, really, we don't know the decision making process that goes into the recycled material. My guess is that Lucas had some specific ideas he wanted in there and there's some history to support that. Sequels are always morel likely to impose these kinds of decisions, anyway. Home Alone 2 had that aspect to it 13 years ago but it was pretty clearly a conscious decision to reuse pre-existing material, not JW getting too old.

- Adam

Maybe we should start a petition saying that JW needs to quit taking one day off of a week. He should be working a 7 day schedule.

Crank 'em out until you die, Maestro! Alas, he's not our monkey.

But, really, we don't know the decision making process that goes into the recycled material. My guess is that Lucas had some specific ideas he wanted in there and there's some history to support that.

Maybe. Though for some reason I don't think even Lucas was saying, "Hey, you know that music from 'Phantom Menace' when they leave Coruscant? Play that again, note for note! And also 'Qui-Gon's Funeral' twice in a row!"

I think one of two things is happening here:

(1) Williams is sublimely bored and uninspired by this movie. I've read the screenplay, and given its tediously long, slow middle and mind-boggling gear shifts, I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

(2) Williams is getting tired, as any man pushing 80 will.

Sequels are always morel likely to impose these kinds of decisions, anyway. Home Alone 2 had that aspect to it 13 years ago but it was pretty clearly a conscious decision to reuse pre-existing material, not JW getting too old.

Here's what kills me, as a lifelong admirer: His sequels used to contain his best work -- building on prior themes in sublimely intelligent ways. "Jaws 2" is wonderful. "Temple of Doom" is one of his best. "Empire," for my money, IS his best. Even "The Lost World" takes some interesting turns into exotica.

I'll retire from the doom and gloom in a sec, but I must say: The diminishing returns on these prequel scores (there, I've said it) make me wonder if Williams isn't just plain worn out.

(2) Williams is getting tired, as any man pushing 80 will.

Can you let the man enjoy his early 70's before you say he is pushing 80?

Neil

Bottom line is we don't know what goes on in the decisions. Writing wall-to-wall music is a huge task so its possible that he cuts corners because of the time constraints. On the other hand, Lucas wanted the Star Wars lifts in the cue Return of the Jedi after JW had already written something original. Its not hard to imagine that happening again.

Plus, maybe it makes sense to have thematic consistency in the funeral music and the coroscant music. We have to see the film, but its possible that it will seem like the right choice. And the funeral music was reworked somewhat for whatever that's worth.

With each new movie he has to draw on more preexisting themes and music to be consistent. TESB had Yoda's theme, Imperial March and Han and Leia all as important, prominent new music which helped the score carve out its own identity. By now, there's very little room for new thematic material. And what there is has to be subordinated to the major thematic material of Vader's theme, The Force theme, etc. So there's all sorts of factors that have to be kept in mind when evaluating the score. A lot of what you find disappointing might be constraints inherant in the project. .

Finally, there's a lot of really good NEW music on the soundtrack and I'm guessing even more in the movie. So I don't sense that the problem is as bad as you make it sound.

- Adam

Bottom line is we don't know what goes on in the decisions. Writing wall-to-wall music is a huge task so its possible that he cuts corners because of the time constraints.

Hey, Williams on his worst day is still pretty damned interesting. Though I will point out that he had a little extra composition time on this one, if I'm not mistaken.

Can you let the man enjoy his early 70's before you say he is pushing 80?

He's more than 7/8ths of the way to 80. But yeah, I see your point. Ahem.

It's good,but not the powerhouse I thought it would be.It's over...now what?Now there's no more Williams scores Potter or SW films to look forward to,probably forever.How do you feel today?

K.M.Who feels a bit empty.

Usually you and me see eye to eye on most issues discussed here, but I strongly disagree with you here.

Yes, it's the last SW original album, but we still have the Sith movie, and Clones and Sith complete CDs someday. I feel no emptiness since this album is my favorite new pick-up since maybe my initial purchasing/discovering of The Fury in 1995 or so.

This album is great. Well one problem... it's only 70 minutes.

Clones complete CDs someday

God willing this will never happen, we need complete TOD, & HPSS CD's long before that trash.

I just "re-discovered" if you will, Across the Stars, and I have to say, it one of JW's best themes. I especially love the versions before the arena and right before the end credits in AotC.

~Sturgis

Well, good and bad news about this site:

1. My email response worked for this thread for the first time in like 2-3 years (YAAAYY!!!) :)

2. I cannot fully load any page. It partially loads and says something like this:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:Domainsjwfan.netwwwrootmodulesPNphpBB2cachePNThemeviewtopic_body.php on line 41

Oh well. I'll take this chance to add that with so many powerfl cues, especially "Anakin's Dark Deeds" and "Enter LordVader", I must make this official announcement: All of you underwhelmed people are now completely crazy. ROTFLMAO :? :roll: ROTFLMAO This is the best prequel album, and rivals SW and ESB albums.

THANK YOU, CHRIS!!!!!

Good to know it's touched someone else in the same way. Who cares if it's not typically Star Warsian. The film won't be either, and do we really need more traditional Star Wars stuff? Nothing since or in the future can ever be as "classic" as that.

I am underwhelmed, but I'm sure I would've been at anything save a 12 hour score containing a dozen amazing new themes, as well as the perfect representation of the older themes, and adding a full statement of every brilliant motif written in all 5 previous scores (all eleventy billion of them).

So, yes, I am a bit dissapointed, but I was fully prepared for that. So far, I'm putting that aside, and lovingthe brilliance of the score, while hating the last track and what it represents in my eyes.

Can you really be prepared to be disappointed? Doesn't that mean that it doesn't meet your expectations?

. . . and I've reached a new low. :mrgreen:

~Sturgis