*The Official Episode III Film Review Thread*

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first hour had many slow parts - and when it was slow, it was sloooooow.

Funny, most people find the movie way too fast. What part do you find sloooooow? BTW, is fast better than slow? If I make the fastest movie ever, do I win an Oscar?

There were a few slow parts, such as a huge block of just dialogue-based scenes as soon as the action (or lack thereof) returns to Coruscant. In fact, after the opening battle ntohing really happens until the Chancellor's rrest. But that's just me... I'm forgetting a lot of the movie now too, I should see it again before criticizing it further.

I still say the last hour is excellent though.

Padme was good but naive, she believed there was good in him even after he tried to kill her, and her children.

Luke was good but naive, he believed there was good in him even after the point where he wanted to turn his sister to the dark side.  They were idiots.

You know, a good person who started a religion, forgave his murderers.

Extrapolating your statements, you are near to blasphemy.

And i agree with you, what vader did was awful, but what he saved by killing the emperor is greater. HE saved millions of lives out of misery, and certain Star Death, (because the emperor would have constructed anoter, and there was no luke to stop him, and leia could have been turned to the dark side, another 'asset' and the rebellion heavily wounded).

And the dark side is like a demon inside you, controling you, when you expel it, you return to your former self...

The first hour had many slow parts - and when it was slow, it was sloooooow.

Funny, most people find the movie way too fast. What part do you find sloooooow? BTW, is fast better than slow? If I make the fastest movie ever, do I win an Oscar?

There were a few slow parts, such as a huge block of just dialogue-based scenes as soon as the action (or lack thereof) returns to Coruscant. In fact, after the opening battle ntohing really happens until the Chancellor's rrest. But that's just me... I'm forgetting a lot of the movie now too, I should see it again before criticizing it further.

I still say the last hour is excellent though.

So, I guess you want a two-hour ride without any sort of character development, right? Trust me, you wouldn't have liked the last hour without the first.

What an amazing place this is.

----------------

Alex Cremers

there was no character developement, it was nothing more than movie pieces on a chess board so Lucas could finish the game, which he did nicely, after that first dismal hour.

I've noticed that since you like it Alex, you've not mention how busy everything is in the movie like you did about Harry Potter, you B&M about how there was always some special effect element going on, taking away from the main characters, but you have failed to mention that the same thing goes on here. There is always something moving, distracting from the central action. Excess is Less.

Yes, with Alex's ominpresent cracks at the Potter films, I'm frankly amazed that he's been so consistently positive about RotS.

Ray Barnsbury

there was no character development

I thought Anakin was well developed. Even though his loyalty to the Emperor seemed abrupt, I realized that he had realistically reached a point of no return over time. He was battling to choose between Light and Dark, but in the end, he was fooled into believing that Dark was justifyable. One of the great things about the way the transformation was handled was that even at the end, you could understand Anakin's point of view. Even if he did wrongfully justify his actions, you could see what led him there.

Once he cut off Mace's arm, he knew he could never return to the Jedi way without giving up everything, which he could never do. :?

Little did he know Padme would have lived if he followed the Jedi way. That dastardly Palpatine!

I liked that Anakin had such a struggle to stay on the Jedi side. He felt very bad afterwards about killing Dooku, and he tried to redeem himself by turning Palpatine in to the Jedi, instead of killing him himself.

He couldn't have killed Palpatine himself, he wasn't strong enough

Oh, yeah, you're right. Slipped my mind. What I meant is that in that hallway he could choose between turning to the dark side or staying with the Jedi. He wanted to stay on the Jedi's side, but in the end, it turned out the dark side was too strong in him, when Palpatine deceived him and Anakin let in to his fear and anger by cutting Windu's hands off.

He's presented with a choice, and he tries to do the right thing, but his fear is too strong. He's not an all-evil person at that point.

didnt he cutjust mace's right arm (the one with the saber)?

Mr breath, what you said is why i consider anakin's turn to the darkside consistent and believable 8O

I don't quite remember. I think he cut off just Mace's saber hand.

He cut off both Dooku's hands (and his head of course).

I need to see it again, because things are getting murky and confused. 8O

why didn't Obi Wan do leaps and somersaults in the Vader confrontation scene in Episode 4 and why did he just vanish when he was struck with the laser?

It's hilarious that all these questions are posed to people on the internet instead of George Lucas... like we can tell you why Alec Guinness wasn't flipping around the room in '77! There's the obvious, TRUE answer of

1. Lack of sufficient CGI

2. Alec Guinness probably couldn't have done much flipping

or there's the 'story' answer, and that's up for you to figure out.

I haven't seen "I, Robot," but I like the premise of it a lot more than "ROTS."

And I'm sure the execution of it -- as well as Will Smith -- made it an enjoyable film for all who saw it last year.

During the later part of the movie my asshole only bled half as much as it did in the beginning.
:mrgreen::P:P

I haven't seen "I, Robot," but I like the premise of it a lot more than "ROTS."

And I'm sure the execution of it -- as well as Will Smith -- made it an enjoyable film for all who saw it last year.

Not really.

So you thought 'meh' because a camera was not sweeping?

Yes.

Is this the sort of thing you base a good or bad movie on?

No.

A perfect shot would have been nice sure, but if you base your conclusions around your own (preconceived) psychological ideas, your feelings will always win hands down no matter how good or bad a movie is.

Yes. Which is why my feelings should always be catered to.

Are you sure you haven't set yourself up to dislike more then you should?

Yes, I am sure. Lucas is a good story maker-upper. He is a bad director and a bad writer. That sweeping shot is what made the original Binary Sunset scene, along with the wind and the music. That last shot proves that DPing is more that pointing a camera. It's these guys looking at two suns, not the new hope that comes after the destruction of the Empire, as it should be. The shot's meaning is to recall the overwhelming motional power of Luke's Binary sunset 18 years later, I hope, and it fails at that, because it's lacking visual beauty. I say I hope, because, if not, it's just a meaningless purty sight. And then Lucas REALLY sucks.

Morlock- who liked the movie a lot, and is sorry he missed these passed few days of discussion.

One comment:

It always bothered me in the OT that the scale of the galactic war was not so big.Thousands of Star Destroyers against a hand full of rebels.The Emperor should have just ignored them altogeter.Who cares if the millenum falcon escapes in the big scheme of things.Who cares if the 2 death stars blew up since it was only a small fraction of the Empire's fleet.

In RotS,for the first time it felt like we were watching this huge intergalactic star wars that spanned across many star systems.The sense of scale was huge.

K.M.

He's old.

What about Yoda?

And you guys think I hate the movie? Read this.

Neil

That's a pretty badly written review. You can't expect to use personal attacks and sensationalism and still be taken seriously.

Hey, I was thinking... remember how people complained that we weren't going to see any of the Clone Wars in the films? Just Geonosis and Coruscant. Well, not really. The Clone Wars are going still going on an hour into Episode III. There's Kashyyyk, Utapau, the Lament montage...

Yes,that's what I meant.A much bigger war then the trench run in Ep 4.

What's the name of the planets Plo Koon,Ayla Secula and KiAdi Mundi get killed on?

K.M.

Ki-Adi-Mundi was killed on Mygeeto, Aayla Secura on Felucia, and Plo Koon on Cato Neimoidia.

Stass Allie was killed on Saleucami (the bit with the speeder bikes).

In RotS,for the first time it felt like we were watching this huge intergalactic star wars that spanned across many star systems.The sense of scale was huge.

I did not feel that. One of the things I don't like about it is that they are putting in too much pointless animation. It doesn't feel layered, they are just filling empty spaces. Instead of richness, they're creating nervousness.

The universe felt much bigger in the OT.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The universe felt much bigger in the OT.

It did, but now thanks to the prequels when we have the death of Ben Kenobi in Star Wars, it's witnessed by Vader's son, daughter, the droid he built, the droid he flew with and by Chewbacca who helped Yoda who trained Ben.

Neil

Ki-Adi-Mundi was killed on Mygeeto, Aayla Secura on Felucia, and Plo Koon on Cato Neimoidia.

Stass Allie was killed on Saleucami (the bit with the speeder bikes).

Is Stass Allie the one who resembles Adi Gallia?

Cato Neimodia! I wondered where it appeared ;).

About aayla secura, the actress has stated that she may appear in the TV series as a supportig character.

Now i suppose she was trying not to spoil anyone...

I don't know. I just took that name from the script, because I remembered that bit being in the film.

BTW, in the script Luminara Unduli and Quinlan Vos were also killed on Kashyyyk. Was that in the film?

So, I guess you want a two-hour ride without any sort of character development, right? Trust me, you wouldn't have liked the last hour without the first.

What an amazing place this is.

When did I say the first half should have been cut? I didn't. I just said it paled in comparison tot he second half. Of course it was necessary, but its execution left much to be desired. It could have been done so much better, but it wasn't. And I'll longer complain about it, because there's no point.

I'm sorry I didn't say something about Harry Potter so you could attack that instead of anything else. It's the reason you attacked in the first place - the so called "Potterisms"

Oh well, we'll always see things differently so I don't see the point in arguing... So why post this, I hear you say? Well before you rudely interrupted me I just had to get a few things about this movie off my chest. And now I shall retread back into the trenches of watching Alias and Futurama. Good day!

He's old.

What about Yoda?

And you guys think I hate the movie? Read this.

Neil

That's a pretty badly written review. You can't expect to use personal attacks and sensationalism and still be taken seriously.

no, its well written, in a satirical way, maybe you just missed that part.

In two hours and 21 minutes I'll be hearing, at last!, the fox fanfare.

Wish me luck LOL

(well Neil can pray for my soul :mrgreen:)

And you guys think I hate the movie?  Read this.

Neil

So, what are you trying to to prove? That you are being reasonable in your judgement of the movie?

And you guys think I hate the movie?  Read this.

Neil

So, what are you trying to to prove? That you are being reasonable in your judgement of the movie?

No, I was merely pointing out a review that made me laugh. It seems others enjoyed the review, too. There really is no need to psychoanalyze every post. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Neil

Now why would you refer to a cigar? A deeper meaning? Perhaps even subconsciously? Hmm...

"INTERESTING STUFF! Stay tuned for more...

TALES!

OF!

INTEREST!"

- Marc

There one thing im not sure about...After Obi-Wan cut off Anakin's Skywalker legs by his lightsaber at the end of ROTS...how did anakin got on fire and burned while he was slowly sinking or watever??... What i meant is.. what cause the fire.

when i watch the ROTS movie not only i heard the Duel of the Fates theme from The Phatom Menace... but i think i also heard a bit the Arena Theme from attack of the Clones.

You could hear the arena theme during the first establishing shots of Kashyyyk and when Anakin led the clone troops into the Jedi temple.

You could hear the arena theme during the first establishing shots of Kashyyyk and when Anakin led the clone troops into the Jedi temple.

yeh