Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have recently received 'Magix Music Studio 10 Deluxe' for a Christmas present, I will finally be able to begin my assembly of the RotS expanded edition, as much discussed on this thread.

Wish me luck LOL

Tim

I haven't touched mine in weeks.i'm waiting for new cues(hopefully)

K.M.Waiting to see Dick Clark's post stroke return to TV,which by judging from previous celebrities who attempted that,is usually a disaster.

I'm still working on mine - it's always evolving

Yeah, everytime I decide to work on it again, new cues get released. Well, then we're in luck folks, becuase for the first time in nearly a month and a half I'm going to tackle editing in the recent stuff we have and the new Grievous/Obi-Wan battle arrangement to get a final edition. So taht means within the next week we should have some new stuff, if you're a superstitious lot. :devil:

I'm just going over what I already did to make sure all the edits sound good enough to finally burn onto a disc. You know, tweaking them, maybe joining or separating a track here and there, and I have to re-edit the changes for the Obi-Wan Grievous fight. Offhand, I think the only thing left to edit is the final duels to get that one freaking edit from the lava eruption to Yoda crawling to sound at least halfway decent. I've tried so many times I'm thinking of just calling it quits and dealign with the edit. Other than that, I'd say my edit sounds close to a professional release, except for one or two reverbed endings that really don't sound all that bad but an audiophile would notice.

The expansion pack for Battlefront 2 is being released sometime this month but is only available through X-Box live. Empire at War is coming out next month but that has a 20% of original score by Frank Klapacki and the rest is just recyled music from the scores that have been released all ready.

I'm not sure what else is going to be coming out this year.

By the way Cerrabore told me on AIM just a few moments ago that Knights Of The Old Republic 3 is also coming out sometime this year. I suspect though it will have an original score like the first two.

Really, at this late stage, do we really expect to get that much unreleased material from RotS? I really want to get started (call it a New Years resolution...:devil:). Do you guys think it's worth waiting around?

Tim

We may not get much more unreleased material. However I think since they didn't put in any of the "Death With Dooku", and the music that plays when Palpatine fries Mace in the full original release for Battlefront 2 it's possible good chunks of both of those pieces of music might be in the expansion packs.

By the way Cerrabore told me on AIM just a few moments ago that Knights Of The Old Republic 3 is also coming out sometime this year.  I suspect though it will have an original score like the first two.

Well, it's only in rumored development. 2006 is a possibility for release. And it will probably (hopefully!) have an original score, so I don't think that's a game we can consider for unreleased music.

We still have that expansion pack--which I will get and go over when it comes out--let alone Empire at War... we still have some possibility... but I'm not getting my hopes up. I finished with my edit of Episode III... if anthing else comes along, I can just cut and paste... otherwise, I'm done...

I just wanted to thank everyone involved in putting this music up. This has totally made my day. Thanks for all the hard work!

An even bigger thank-you goes, naturally, to Maestro Williams for creating the music in the first place. And...well, to whoever made the brilliant decision to cut out so much crucial material from the OST...I think I'll keep my opinions to myself for the sake of civility. Grrrr...

This is one of the hardest edits to get smoothly:

(from the first track, no less)

OST t1 3:18.5-4:17

BF2 coming_around 0:25-0:34

OST t1 4:17.5-4:21.5

BF2 coming_around 0:38-0:43

OST t1 4:22.5-4:46

Because it has to be smooth, and there are no drum hits to signal the measure change. It's all one fluid motion of notes, and they're such short edits.

:devil:

Tim

I hope one of these expansion packs will have the Padme's funeral material. The DVD rip isn't all that clean, as far as quality. It still sounds a bit muffled, though it's pretty much devoid of sound effects.

Tim

It took me a few tries to do that section. It's been a while since I did work on it, but I think I've got most of my edits done. I still have yet to finish a satisfactory edit of the Arrival at Utapu and Conversation With Tion Meddon segments...AAGGH!!! If it helps, Tim, then try going a couple seconds off (unless you're going beyond the edit range. For instance, the last switch back to OST music, I used BF2 material all the way through that slidy string thing up until that brief near-silence, cutting back to OST for the two-note fanfare. That made it MUCH easier for me.

I avoided the mix problems by splitting the music by JW's cue title/slate numbers. The endings are slightly abrupt, but there are no nightmare changes like Mustafar/Yoda Crawling.

I apologize if this has already been asked, but...is the cue that plays while Anakin destroys the Invisible Hand's shields currently unavailable? It's a short bit of music, but I'd like to find it nevertheless. I don't mean the short fanfare that plays while Obi-Wan jumps out of his ship in the hangar. Thanks in advance!

After one day, I can officially declare that the mixing of the expanded score has become something akin to a euphoric drug. This is just way too much fun :mrgreen:

Yes, there have been bumps, and since my holiday is over, I won't be able to dedicate as much time to it as I did over the course of the last 24 hours. However, I thought I'd give you guys my "Day:1 Report".

EDIT: In "12. GOODBYE OLD FRIEND II/GOING TO UTAPAU", at the edit:

BF2 going_utapau 0:07-0:33.5

BF2 going_moving 2:04.5-2:08.5

...instead of pasting them together, I did something a tad different. If you listen to the end of going_utapau you'll hear a descending flute, which is then supposed to be proceeded by the cello, which does something similiar (melodically). I ended up mixing the end of going_utapau and the beginning of the BF2 going_moving (2:04.5-2:08.5 segment) together, not end-to-end, so the flute and the cello match up during the same space of time. This makes the edit sound much smoother.

Tim

I couldn't agree with you more about the addiction. I've been editing nonstop whenever I get the chance for the last few days.

I must say, I'm very disappointed in and confused about the sound quality of the "Yoda Farewell" segment. It's a beautiful cue (if a little E.T.-like), but the DVD rip file on the FTP is very muted and bass-heavy, nothing like how it sounds in the film. Are the high frequencies of the music on a different channel of the DVD for that part or something?

Tim remember from the last moment of 0:33 to 0:35 is for going_utapau is from TPM. Before that note from TPM starts just do a bit of a hard fade out then a bit of a cross fade from going_moving about a few seconds before your fade out from going_utapau, if this makes any sense to you. If not let me know I'll send you my edit of the track so you can hear what I mean.

BY the way I agree editing music is an addiction. I've been editing music almost non stop for the past 3 weeks now. I'm finally just going to be taking a break for a while. If I don't have any distractions I can edit music for hours, I'm talking about 8+ hours lol.

wow. i'm new here and just discovered this thread. this is an incredible project! and i hate i don't have the resources to help out at all. i've been trying to 'catch up' with this very long thread and just ended up confused. so what is the status right now? and is there a finished soundtrack for episodes I & II, or were they abandoned to work on RotS? this sounds like an awesome undertaking and hope it keeps going!

Tim remember from the last moment of 0:33 to 0:35 is for going_utapau is from TPM.  Before that note from TPM starts just do a bit of a hard fade out then a bit of a cross fade from going_moving about a few seconds before your fade out from going_utapau, if this makes any sense to you.  If not let me know I'll send  you my edit of the track so you can hear what I mean.

I'm pretty sure that's the way I was constructing it the first time. The hard fade out right into the going_moving, but I was listening to the music and trying to figure things out, and I came up with a different approach to the edit, by overlapping the two at a certain junction point.

I know it's not what Williams intended, but it made it much smoother in the transition ;)

I suppose you can send me your link, and I can send you mine once I convert it to mp3 format. I'll get to it, and tell me what you think!

Tim

I take it that the short clip when Yoda enters Palpatine's office (before the Imperial March makes its entrance) is unavailable? That's a pity. Would a DVD rip of that section be of high enough quality?

Well, I checked out that scene on the DVD rip. It's actually not too bad, especially considering that it's an indoor scene with quiet music. There are even a few lines that could be just about totally removed with a little high-pass...

I'd be curious to hear the German one. Anyone interested?

I take it that the short clip when Yoda enters Palpatine's office (before the Imperial March makes its entrance) is unavailable?  That's a pity.  Would a DVD rip of that section be of high enough quality?

That's on the FT.P as "Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan." Not incredible, but not many sfx if I remember right.

I'm really hoping the "I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi" bit is clean on the German rip. I just noticed the Imperial Motif statements last night! :) The more I hear, the more convinced I am that if those involved had just let Williams do his thing, we would've had some amazing thematic development/continuity.

Thanks, ridan. I got it. I was able to eliminate the echoes of the guards hitting the ground by looping that note, and I eliminated some of dialogue in a similar fashion. Some of it wasn't really removable though.

Delorean90, I think Mr. Breathmask is right. I think I recall that being from Episode II. Kind of ironic that the Imperial Motif is being played while Mace is saying "the dark side of the Force surrounds the chancellor." I would have preferred a little of the Emperor's theme...

I've got about 54 minutes of my "complete soundtrack" finished. My next project is the "Goodbye, Old Friend" segment.

Really? Wow. I never noticed that before! Either way, it's still cool stuff, and AOTC and ROTS, I still believe that the powers that be really robbed us of some great stuff.

Who knows? I love William's score to ROTS, but there are so many things I can think of that could have been included that weren't. For intance:

* a huge minor-key statement of Anakin's theme, with lots of low brass

* more use of the Emperor's theme

* use of variations of Battle of the Heroes throughout the score

* more extensive development of several of the great motifs introduced in the score (such as the descending motif that plays while Obi-Wan confronts Padme, and the low-brass motif that plays during the fistfight between Grievous and Obi-Wan)

* music that really emphasizes the film's most crucial moment--when Anakin decides that saving Padme is more important than avoiding the dark side and thus cuts off Mace's hand

The list of unfulfilled possibilities goes on and on, but I'm not one to complain. Like I said, I love the score he wrote, and I'm so glad that most of it is now available to us--if not always with the best sound quality.

Hey, whatever happened to the "menu2" file for Battlefront II? The list says that this was the DOTF segment with the crescendo, while Anakin is consulting the Jawas. It doesn't seem to be there...

such as the descending motif that plays while Obi-Wan confronts Padme

That motif is present in another cue (6M2 - A Moody Trip). Sadly, I don't hear it anywhere else.

* use of variations of Battle of the Heroes throughout the score

We all have our wishes of what we would have like to hear, but I think this one is fine as it is. I like how this only appears when they finally face off. I don't recall any earlier confrontation between them in the film, besides the friendly banter between the two.

Now that The Boys Continue is fully complete,we have all the Battle of the Heroes variations that we need.This was one of the most significant cues to finally have.

K.M.

Yeah, in a way, it's the centerpiece to the score. I only wish that one edit from the lava explosion to Yoda crawling sounded better. Has anyone got that part to sound decent yet?

Thanks, but I'm still having trouble finding it, Cerrabore. The file should be under Episode II > Battlefront II, right?

Mr. Breathmask, that's a good point. I'm certainly not suggesting that it should have been featured in any sort of big way. But a little would go a long way. For instance, that scurryig viola ostinato--just a few whispers of that in the scene when Obi-Wan gives Anakin his secret assignment would be great. There's a lot of tension between them in that scene.

King Mark, I feel the same way. The full version of "The Boys Continue" was one of the the cues I wanted the most badly. Why, why, why couldn't it have been featured on the OST? Oh, well. We've got it now. :nod:

I've got that edit to sound half-decent, Vaderbait. Certainly better than in the movie. But still not as good as I'd like. Real audiophiles would rip me to pieces over it. But to the average listener, it wouldn't be too bad. To me, it's borderline acceptable.