Worst Movie Soundtrack

Beethoven

Has anyone here heard the music to The Colditz Story? It would have to be the worst score ever written for a movie. The Caine Mutiny is also a tad overwrought. 8O ;)

Are there any other soundtracks that I should avoid? :)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bah, Horner has talent, that's for sure. He just doesn't use it anymore. Not many composers nowadays write, orchestrate and conduct their own music (no matter how reused it is). He's just gotten lazy.

I go with Goldeneye.

Sure Horner does have talent, and his music is likeble. But he's a hack!

He can get very annoying when I realize a phrase is a direct lift from another cue from a previous score by him or someone else, but his music is certainly evocative and enjoyable most of the time.

the worst John Williams soundtrack

would be this nightmarish piece of trash.

B000065840.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

venting, it feels so good

If you want to make any connection to the film whatsoever, Pirates of the Caribbean.

Or plenty of other MV scores. POTC and the other Bruckheimer scores at least match their movies in quality.

Marian - ;)

Joe we are talking about genral scors not just Williams.

Seeing AOTC in this thread is a hard blow and painful.

Change it please....

Make your own 'worse williams score' thread (and help clear the doldrums BTW)

mine would if I play it, but it loves to lay there in its case collecting dust, being preserved as a monument when even the greatest film score composer cannot get past a terrible movie.

Joe and Neil, i think you both have reached low here.

It is Williams who you are critisizing, not Lucas or AOTC.

And Neil you liked the AOTC score before you saw the movie. It cannot be now the worst of all time.

'Forgive them, Williams, because they dont know what they are doing'

PS: Neil my apologies if you were just saying that your AOTC cd played in Computers regarless of the tag, but i dont think so... ;)

Luke, I've been much harsher on Williams for his score than Lucas on the movie.

I remember doing a thread asking if I was the only one disappointed and I remember Alan, and Ricard both agreeing

this wasn't Williams finest moment. And like I said, its the worst score I own. Most scores I buy are ones I like.

This one I bought hoping I might like it, but I don't. I listen to one track on the entire cd, when I, on rare occasions, play it.

Across the Stars has to be one of the nicest pieces he has written.

yet joe doesnt like it...

But joe, really, havent you seen any movie (you dont have to own the score) that has a worse score?

I said you can cay its the worst williams score, but seeing it here seems things that it is not....

In my humble opinion, if Star Wars Attack of the Clones is the worst score of someone's collection, then it must not be very deep. I can buy that it is one of the biggest diappointments given how high the bar was set with the original trilogy and Menace, but to say it is the worst of all time is ridiculous. The score certainly does have it's flaws, but it also has it's moments as well.

In my humble opinion, if Star Wars Attack of the Clones is the worst score of someone's collection,  then it must not be very deep. I can buy that it is one of the biggest diappointments given how high the bar  was set with the original trilogy and Menace, but to say it is the worst of all time is ridiculous. The score certainly does have it's flaws, but it also has it's moments as well.

Middle groud. It's an interesting and valid point. But Joe dislikes middle ground.

Because they were written in a year of each other, which is quite forgivable. But Hook and ATS were written within a decade. I'd even turn a blind eye to the similarity between the father/son theme from Last Crusade and Hook.

The love theme is beautiful, no doubt. I still love it, but it's really nothing new.

I know it is forgettable, like AOTC, COS, Minority Report... but i prefer a 10 years break to hear a reused cue than a cue used in two consecutive years...

And about forgiveness, well many people complain about his lack of originality of late (reusing HIS music i mean), yet no one complains of the same things when done in the 70s to 90s...

If hobbit means british person....

Anyway stealing from yourself is not so bad, if the vast majority of the score contains original material it does not really matter. If the score is just made of bits and pieces of a past score, that's just fraud really, he's hired to compose a new score and makes a temp track with minor changes.

Troy - The UN-rejected score.

Really? It's not perfect, but i think Horner did a good job considering how long he had to score it. In the score there are many cliche moments, but one particular part is one of my favourite soundtrack moments of 2004. It's where Hector and Patriclus (in the guise of Achilles) suddenly meet each other in the midst of battle during the morning Battle near the beach, and are circling each other with a crowd around them. Yes it's not exactly original and uses a formula Horner has used countless before in his scores. But he adds a bit of spice to it this time, and my god it's effective and sent shivers up and down my spine the first time i saw that scene in the cinema with that music, and everytime i play it. Peppered in it is heroic trumpetting and i think it was incredibly effective at creating the mood (which is the whole point of a soundtrack). For those who want to refer to it, it begins at 2:36 on the track "The Trojan's Attack". Other moments such as the minimalist fight between Achilles and Hector. And, let's face it, Achilles theme is addictvely hummable despite how cliche and corny it may seem on appearance.

Melange - Thinks Horner's Troy is nowhere near as bad as some like to claim.

I hate that score actually it has no redeeming features. I don't usually hate Horner's music, but I don't forgive him for plagiarism.

"The Trojans Attack" is the only part in the score I like. The minimalist music for the duel is just like what Yared did, only much more blatant. And when Hector is wounded, the screeching vocals do not work nearly as well as the subtle vocals Yared used. Horner's vocals seem to be crying out in pain; Yared's actually seem to be mourning the death of Hector. (And this is one of my favorite parts of Yared's score; Priam has his eyes closed in sorrow, and then, when Achilles ties Hector to his chariot, Priam opens his eyes and gazes in horror, accompanied by a horrified, mourning version of Hector's theme. Another moment is the Greek theme as Aias ("Ajax") and Hector fight.

Horner's theme for Troy (the city) doesn't work. It's just a see-sawing of blatant brass noted that sounds very similar to a classical composer I cannot think of at the moment. (Maybe it was Britten?)

Maybe I'm being unfair to say that Horner's score is terrible when compared to Yared's, but I'll stand with my opinion that Yared's score would actually have made the movie good

One wonders why Yared got sacked, it they let Horner 'use his music afterwards.

Yared must be very angry with that. It's not fair and very disrespectful.

But then, this may mean that Yared had an argument with the director/producers as was fired, no music involved...

I remember that they said, Yared's score was musically too high in quality for their target audience... heh.

I thought they said it sounded outdated (like the old biblic movies)

If that's what they said, Morn, really they must be the most stupid person even.

Im not saying Yared's troy is a masterpiece, but dismissing a score for being too much good, is unbelievable :angry: