Jurassic Park vs The Lost World

Damo

Which is a better out of the two John Williams scores?  

81 members have voted

1. 1.

• Jurassic Park is better
    • No, The Lost World is better than the first
    • Both of them are good, so there no really competition

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are just so different, that I can't really choose. The earlier parts of the first score are supposed to be bright,cheery, and optimistic because the audience and characters are unaware what is coming. By Lost World, we all know the story and Williams got to the nitty gritty. So I can't choose. They were both perfect for the job. I can't stand that second film though. It was a waste of time.

JP is soooooo goood. the score AND the movie. one of my favourite spielberg movies. it is just so...fun. and gorgeosu. Lost world was just crap. the movie ruined it for the score.

• 4 years later...

(i know this discussion has since gone but: ) i like them both equally, though my favorite statement of the JP Island Fanfare is in Visitor In San Diego

I won't presume to say which is better, but I will say I personally prefer JP over TLW.

Both are perfect scores for their respective movies, however, and I have to say I am more eager to get my hands on the Expanded or Complete TLW rather than JP (just because JP the score is so well represented on the OS album anyway).

"High-Wire Stunts" sounds very inspired to my ears! It's the best action track in the series, in my opinion

You know, I agree, but then every action cue in JP is top-notch.

I changed my disc to a regular jewel case and with some skill with scissors fashioned a perfect CD case with the original covers (i.e. I slashed the card board case to shreads). And I did not regret that bevcause the demise of that card board set was imminent in any case and it would have eventually ruined the CD.

I keep my TLW CD in a jewel case too, but I didn't ruin my card board case (I would never do that! it'll be a collector's item in, say, 100 years from now! :P ). Anyway I keep the original case separately on my shelf.

No. Usually when John Williams soundtracks are available in Sydney or anywhere else in Australia, they become avaliable around when the movie is released. After a few years goes by they stop selling them in any CD stores ...well don't know exactly how long they keep them in stock for.

You know what? That's not just in Australia, that's in almost every other country in the world (and I am talking about First World countries). Still, if you look hard enough, you can find them most of the time. It's only a question of time.

:)

Isn't The Lost World in track 1 considered to be a new theme?

Of course!

It's called "Theme from The Lost World" or just "The Lost World" if you will. ;)

Yeah, this is great jungle music (somehow more serious and epic than, say, "The Jungle Chase") but I find this somehow ... dunno, too limited? Maybe just too short? It's great while it lasts, but as soon as it's over, it's done. I have no lasting impression of it like I have with the Theme from JP. But that's just my personal opinion.

They are just so different, that I can't really choose. The earlier parts of the first score are supposed to be bright,cheery, and optimistic because the audience and characters are unaware what is coming. By Lost World, we all know the story and Williams got to the nitty gritty. So I can't choose. They were both perfect for the job. I can't stand that second film though. It was a waste of time.

But not a waste of money. At the time, wasn't it one of the Top 10 grossing movies in history?

I personaly think that a more interesting poll would be The Lost World vs. Howard's King Kong.

Movie or score?

When it comes to the score, there is no question.

Actually when it comes to the movie, there is no question, either!

The Lost World, in tracks like "Rescuing Sarah" and "The Compys Dine," sounds like an inspired score to me. At no point does Jurassic Park. Sure, the main themes are catchy (though I believe that the "piano" theme is fiercely overrated), but there's no spirit in it. The Lost World sounds like a score that Williams had fun writing (which is impressive, given the film's quality). And I love the drums.

No spirit in Jurassic Park but in The Lost World? :lol:

Man, just say what you really think! You personally like the grittier, more drum-laden music in The Lost World better!

I don't know, mate. It was just as responsible for recruiting more JW fans as SW or HP in the later years. THIS is important.

Karol

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying its importance, especially as a gateway drug, so to speak, and I know (and appreciate) how many here got into film scores just because of that. But I don't think it's that good a score myself, at least outside of the film (and sometimes in the film). If we're categorising by influence (and yeah, okay, I haven't read that much of the thread so we may be) it's obviously head and shoulders above TLW.

TLW. It's a great score. JP, minus Journey To The Island, is not.

Lol.

Just T-Rex Rescue and Finale alone is better than anything from TLW.

TLW isn't even a great score. It's merely a good one.

I don't know, mate. It was just as responsible for recruiting more JW fans as SW or HP in the later years. THIS is important.

Karol

^That guy's wise.

Karol

^That guy's wise.

PLEASE tell me that was a reference to the "That guy's wise" / "Martin Short!" exchange from Return of the Jedi!

Karol

^That guy's wise.

PLEASE tell me that was a reference to the "That guy's wise" / "Martin Short!" exchange from Return of the Jedi!

i always thought the Ewok was saying: "the..long and short"

Towards the beginning of Star Wars, there's a Jawa that sounds like he's saying "here comes the window cleaner"

In Return of the Jedi, at some point during 3PO's story, 2 Ewoks talk and it sounds like one says "That guy's wise!" and the other responds "Martin Short!"

I think it's in the sandcrawler, but there's a Jawa that says "Hi, ji pasco, uum sala". Doesn't an Ewok somewhere say "jabu, jabu jabu"? Even that pales with "Om nom shevai, om nom shevai", in TOD.

Ok., back to macro...

TLW. It's better music, it's better played, and it's better recorded. Job done.

On the topic of this (old) thread...the original will always remain my favorite, as I find it to be a more balanced and accessible and memorable score. There's plenty of scary music, but there's also a warmth and charm to it that's almost entirely absent in TLW. However, the score to TLW (which I'm listening to as I type this) really fits the moody, jungle-y tone of the film perfectly. The new four-note theme can be very evocative, and the Lost World theme itself is quite cool, if severely underutilized. Most importantly to me, the action music is really a lot of fun. Jurassic Park has a lot of truly great action music as well, but the percussion and jazzy touches in TLW do make for an interesting contrast with Williams' more common action music techniques.

So yes, I prefer the first score, but they're both delightful, and luckily, we can enjoy both.

Am i the only one who thinks chewie barks 'to be or not to be, that is the question' when he looks at 3po's head in the cloud city prison cell?

Yes!

Karol

that means you hear it too or that i am the only one who heards it??

and its nice when he breaks from the dark jungle music for a while for example: The Compys!, Ludlow's Demise and Visitor In San Diego

i dunno, i really think he is mummbling it in the low tones. to be or not to be.....(long pause) this is the question...

and having the 'skull' on hand...

if i ever meet george lucas ( :sigh: ) i'll ask him about it.

everyone noticed the wookiee tarzan yells in both ROTJ and ROTS, rrrrright?

In Return of the Jedi, at some point during 3PO's story, 2 Ewoks talk and it sounds like one says "That guy's wise!" and the other responds "Martin Short!"

YES!!!! I always thought I was hearing things at that moment.

i dunno, i really think he is mummbling it in the low tones. to be or not to be.....(long pause) this is the question...

and having the 'skull' on hand...

The pacing fits.

I'm not sure the rhythm of the speech fits the word "Martin." I think there's an extra syllable in there, like "Martin the short" or something.

I haven't watched ROTJ for so long I'd like to keep the streak going, so I won't be checking it anytime soon.