54 members have voted

1. 1.

• Mozart
    • Williams

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could have guessed this poll will be up as soon as Hitch put up his own Happy Birthday Mozart thread :)

I prefer Williams. Mozart is a musical giant but most of his music (though I can't claim to have heard but a fraction of his huge body of works) does not appeal to me. That's just the way it is. There is no logical way to explain that.

When it comes to art however, I always listen to my heart. I don't need anyone to tell me certain music is simplistic, that a certain film series is deeply flawed or something like that. When I like it, I like it. I don't have to think about it too much.

Interesting.

I try to use my head, because I really don't trust my hearts judgement at all, since it has seriously let me down several times in my life.

As for the comparison.

John Williams is primarily a film composer. Since Mozart has never composed for film (for obvious reasons) I find it impossible to make any sensible comparison.

HAHA! I just removed my comment Steef! Anyway; I still stand by it and when it comes to art I don't really want to use my head. I respected that about you. You once said that you were glad you didn't have all this music theoretical knowledge, because it would ruin the "magic" of it.

I agree in a way. John Williams is my favorite composer. Why? Not because my mind tells me he's the best (my mind tells me Beethoven or Max Bruch is better), but because my HEART tells it me.

Isn't this just a way of filling the message board? I mean everybody argees on the fact that a comparison between these two is merely blunt and cannot be considered legitimate?

It is like comparing a duck with a robin.

(for you the job which one the duck is and which one the the robin :-P)

"They can't be compared" is not an option.

Actually MSM, this is a very valid option.

Williams works for the concert hall are in a completely different style then Mozarts.

And Mozart never composed for film.

Apples and oranges, i'd say.

Mozart is considered a genius. Not sure that goes for Williams too.

I think Williams would be very uncomfortable if he knew we compare him to Mozart He is so humble that he would be embarrased for us to even think anything like that.

I think Williams would be very uncomfortable if he knew we compare him to Mozart He is so humble that he would be embarrased for us to even think anything like that.

That's a very wise post, Incanus.

Guys, I need to play a Mozart cue in two hours on my radio show (a "suggestion" from the boss up there), so I was thinking maybe one of you could recommend a piece, three or four minutes long, melodic and playful?

Thanks for the impossible in advance.

Guys, I need to play a Mozart cue in two hours on my radio show (a "suggestion" from the boss up there), so I was thinking maybe one of you could recommend a piece, three or four minutes long, melodic and playful?

Perhaps his score to Amadeus?

he would hide in his turtle necks.

In fact, I think Mozart is considered a top 10 genius, alongside Albert Einstein and Leonardo Da Vinci. Not sure if Williams will ever join their company.

In fact, I think Mozart is considered a top 10 genius, alongside Albert Einstein and Leonardo Da Vinci. Not sure if Williams will ever join their company.

In fact,Williams is seventh on that top 10 list,just after Leonardo Di Caprio.

Perhaps his score to Amadeus?

Piano concerto number 22 it is then. Thanks.

I've never been a great fan of Mozart's music, so I'll go for Williams. :wave:

Mozart is a lot darker than Williams and much more musical too.

I am a Williams fan big time, but man cant believe this poll - If you love what Williams has done then you will deffo love Mozart - both got similar musical language (altho different styles). Dig about deeper in mozarts music and you will find Joy. Theres some big dark stuff there - ROTS and WOTW eat your heart out!

I'm going to find out were you live, kill your parents, burn down your house and insert a cucumber up your rectum.

Because I can, that's why!

Stefancos

Wow...I'll just go over there now...

What to expect on such a board ? Williams of course :-)

I guess that if you run the same poll on a Mozart forum, you'll get : Williams ? Who ? Which century ?

Exactly...Williams will win this poll... considering this is John Williams's fan board and like what you said if they had this poll on a Mozart forum....Mozart will probably win the poll. ;)

I voted for Williams, Mozart's music is beautiful but I feel it lacks the emotions that Jw has.

thats ridiculous. you can't compare. mozart was born in the classical period. williams is neoromantic. obviously williams is going exaggerate/to be more 'emotional.' mozart was classical era. focus was on refinement, structure, form. not wild emotional orgasms.

i vote for mozart over williams. Williams can write a good tune but he has not yet proven to me he's a genius. He's the tchaikovsky of the film music. universally adored, but not a genius imo. musical geniuses can only be narrowed down to a few people such as bach, beethoven, mozart, and wagner. past wagner, i have not seen any geniuses. schoenberg and stravinsky maybe, but not at the level as the above 4 were.

Couldn't vote

Different eras you guys.

Totally different musical arenas. We could only Judge if Williams was born back then or Mozart was born today

THEY BOTH NEED TO BE IN THE SAME ERA IN ORDER TO JUDGE THEM FAIRLY banghead

Got it off my chest ;)

I think Salieri is better than either one (This answer was inspired by Stefan's new avatar that is just little less scarier than his previous one ;) )

I voted for Williams, Mozart's music is beautiful but I feel it lacks the emotions that Jw has.

thats ridiculous. you can't compare.

I think better questions might be:

1.) Which composer appeals more to your heart (regardless of which century they lived, which style they employed)?

2.) Which composer has a larger audience?

3.) Which composer is technically more skilled?

1.) Obviously JW, part of the reason being, of course, that JW is a FILM composer, whose music SHOULD move you emotionally. And he also happens to write gorgeous concert pieces.

2.) Considering that everyone who's ever seen Star Wars, E.T., Harry Potter, the Olympic Games and so on can be counted as his audience, I would say JW. (Although I have to admit, Die Kleine Nachtmusik comes pretty close.)

3.) Again, JW, part of the reason being that he has the advantage of living TODAY. If he wants to, he could study the classical composers and learn from them -- which, IMO, he does. Mozart couldn't very well study Williams, could he? Not Mozart's fault, true, but that's the way it is, folks.

So, in my (slightly biased) opinion, Johnny is the winner. LOL

"They can't be compared" is not an option.

Actually MSM, this is a very valid option.

Williams works for the concert hall are in a completely different style then Mozarts.

And Mozart never composed for film.

Apples and oranges, i'd say.

;) If I would have added that option the outcome would have been obvious. Of course we are talking about totally different stylistic periods. We don not know how Mozart would have composed if he would have lived in our time. Williams can use all the idioms of the Romantic and 20th century music which yet had to be invented in Mozarts time. Still I think one can compare the mastership of the two composers, just by their achiefments in their respective times, their innovativity, the structure, originality and maybe even use of melody in their music.

I would choose oranges by the way :eek:

I voted for Mozart.

Even though I enjoy listening to JW more, Mozart was the winner. I don't think it's fair to compare these two anyways. I get the feeling that most people are misreading the question as: "Who do you like to listen to more?"

~Tyler, mildly surprised at the results. :)

Mozart… and of course Mozart! Sorry, no options here…

Just Requiem alone can beat everything and in every way that was composed by Williams or Goldsmith or anybody else in film music altogether.

Still I prefer to hear John Williams music. :)