What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Gia scores dont really count, IMO.

The ST 2009 score is just OK with many meh moments but Into Darkness is a fine score (thought compared to Goldsmith's scores and Horner's, it's peanuts, yes)

So we're at (roughly) the same point, you and I. You have to listen to The Final Frontier, though! It's great! And The Voyage Home is nice too. I think you'd like it.

Thoughts on the ones you've heard so far? (Even if it's just one word for each).

And your ranking?

Mine or KK's?

Yours.

Just TOS for now.

The Gia scores dont really count, IMO.

The ST 2009 score is just OK with many meh moments but Into Darkness is a fine score (thought compared to Goldsmith's scores and Horner's, it's peanuts, yes)

Each of the Star Trek scores have a certain something about them, as different as they are, they make them...i dunno...Star Trekkie. The Gia scores just feel completely different.

I don't know, my thoughts keep changing. TWOK used to be my favourite, just because I loved the nautical seafaring adventure vibe to it. Now, the main theme doesn't do as much for me however. It's still really good stuff, but I think I prefer TSFS because of that lovely mysticism in the score's sound.

In the beginning, I wasn't all that big a fan of Goldsmith's score. There was too much pomp for me I guess. I've come a long way with it though, and it's a score I enjoy quite a bit. Goldsmith really nailed the sound of the franchise here, and Illia's theme is absolutely sublime.

Ultimately, I don't listen to these scores often though (though I probably should), so I'm not as familiar with them as many of you might be.

I couldn't rank them without giving them more proper listens again. It's been a while.

Yes, its one of the best scores in history. The Enterprise is probably the single best track Goldsmith has ever written. It is completely perfect. Both as a score cue and as a stand alone piece of music

Yes, its one of the best scores in history. The Enterprise is probably the single best track Goldsmith has ever written. It is completely perfect. Both as a score cue and as a stand alone piece of music

Agreed. The score is one of my top ten. Probably top five too.

It also helps that the film has barely any sound effects, dialogue... or even plot... to compete with Goldsmith.

All albums are great. It's the kind of score that works in any presentation.

Karol

The "Bird of Prey" theme as you call it, is basically straight from Shostakovich

Don't you mean Stravnsky? Or are we talking about different themes here?
Yeah, I think he meant Stravinsky's Firebird. In any case, whatever classical influences/connections might be found in Eidelman's score, we know for a fact they're intentional.

Karol

In the beginning, I wasn't all that big a fan of Goldsmith's score. There was too much pomp for me I guess. I've come a long way with it though, and it's a score I enjoy quite a bit. Goldsmith really nailed the sound of the franchise here, and Illia's theme is absolutely sublime.

Goldsmith's TMP is a hard one to get into, I'll give you that. While I do believe it's great score, it's one I have to be in a particular mood to enjoy. It's the not the kind of score that I'd play at any time, any day of the week.

I don't know, my thoughts keep changing. TWOK used to be my favourite, just because I loved the nautical seafaring adventure vibe to it. Now, the main theme doesn't do as much for me however. It's still really good stuff, but I think I prefer TSFS because of that lovely mysticism in the score's sound.

I love both TWOK and TSFS equally and both complete scores have a nice flow without any dull spot, but I agree that the main theme can get a bit grating after a while. You should listen to both more, though!

Ultimately, I don't listen to these scores often though (though I probably should), so I'm not as familiar with them as many of you might be.

Reading the liner notes of each of the scores really helps appreciating them even more. They're all very well documented and give you lots of detail on each cue. They're remarkably well done.

Thanks BB. I'll check 'em out more often, and I don't have all the releases, which I'll have to fix soon.

The "Bird of Prey" theme as you call it, is basically straight from Shostakovich

Don't you mean Stravnsky? Or are we talking about different themes here?
Yeah, I think he meant Stravinsky's Firebird. In any case, whatever classical influences/connections might be found in Eidelman's score, we know for a fact they're intentional.

Karol

Doh!

Not sure why I put Shostakovich....yeah I meant Stravinsky's Firebird naturally...clearly I need some sleep!

I listened to some little-known scores by some guy named John Williams. You might've heard of them, I don't know. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Hook and The Towering Inferno? Twice.

Yes. Hook is a great example of that. Pilfered flowery crap.

That's nothing. Listen to Home Alone.

Afterwards, you'll wonder if Williams actually went to the Tchaikovsky estate and said "I'm gonna rip off everything from ol' Grandpa Peter and call it my own" before flying back and getting to work.

Shame about the monochrome lack of emotional diversity though.

My experience of the score has been much richer than that of others, apparently.

Even if I believed Interstellar to be an emotional monolith, the "variety" argument is an odd one to me, as it would indict several scores I enjoy very much (Williams's Presumed Innocent and Shore's Panic Room come to mind). As important as diversity is in life, I'm not sure that every score need embrace it as an organizing principle to be successful.

If, within the context of the moods and emotions Zimmer is striving to evoke, he is needlessly repeating musical ideas to the point of redundancy and diminishing returns, then we should call him out on that. But it's not clear to me that this is the case.

Shame about the monochrome lack of emotional diversity though.

My experience of the score has been much richer than that of others, apparently.

Even if I believed Interstellar to be an emotional monolith, the "variety" argument is an odd one to me, as it would indict several scores I enjoy very much (Williams's Presumed Innocent and Shore's Panic Room come to mind). As important as diversity is in life, I'm not sure that every score need embrace it as an organizing principle to be successful.

If, within the context of the moods and emotions Zimmer is striving to evoke, he is needlessly repeating musical ideas to the point of redundancy and diminishing returns, then we should call him out on that. But it's not clear to me that this is the case.

I... I don't understand. Shouldn't there be something here for me to rail obnoxiously against?

I still can't bring myself to relisten Interstellar after the initial listen as that listen did not give me any impetus to explore it further. Can I be cured?

Thank you doctors for your swift and merciless diagnosis. I shall leave for the Cliff of Despair immediately.

You're correct.

You're the bloke who reckons E.T. is boring, aren't you?

I might be, or I might pretend to be to vex the likes of you.

You imp you!

I didn't know John Williams wrote Sleigh Ride!

He has written everything man. Didn't you know it?

Well, everything but his famous tunes. These were done by Angela Morley.

Karol

True. We have Angela to thank for so many things. Johnny did a tribute album called Angela's Ashes. Perhaps you have heard of it?

Interstellar (FYC) by Hans Zimmer

Great stuff.

Yeah, but dont you think the emotional effect is stiffled by the lack of developmental variation of Zimmers thematic material? And that the relative stagnant nature of the stylistic tone only further lessens the effect of the music on repeated listens?

;)