The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Score Thread

Ricard

I went with the resequenced score tracks, then put Call of the Crystal, Adventures of Mutt and Irina's Theme at the end, finishing with The Raiders March. Just seems natural.

I haven't listened strait through my edits, but I put Irina's theme and Crystal Skull, then the entire album chronologically, and then Mutt's theme finnishing off with Raiders March. It seemed odd to have Irina and Crystal Skull showing up after what happens in the story.

It would be great to have the first couple of cues which precede the "Spell of the Skull" cue. However, as far as the concert suites go, what's interesting is that when you listen to all four of them together, it's kind of like an alternative "Suite from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

I have not edited this myself yet, because I think the album flows pretty well actually, for a Williams album. If I'd edit though, I was thinking where to put those concert suites though in case of a chronological edit. My preference would definitely be to open with the Raiders March and then to go to Spell of the Skull, so that there's a segue from the Raiders material to the new score. But I'd hate to put the other concert suites after the Finale. Is there any place those concert suites would fit in into the chronological edit somewhere? (Like FSM often does).

For instance, I'm thinking of putting the Skull theme between Spell and Whirl, Irina's theme right before Return, and Mutt's theme before the Jungle Chase.

I haven't listened strait through my edits, but I put Irina's theme and Crystal Skull, then the entire album chronologically, and then Mutt's theme finnishing off with Raiders March.

That was my first arrangement as well. My thinking was that since the first 5 minutes or so of the score are unreleased so those would make a nice overture before starting the score proper. Now I've got it set up with them all after the Finale (order: Crystal, Irina's, Mutt, March), and I might change it again before I'm done. I might try it with the Raiders March as the overture then the three new ones at the end.

I already know after the DVD comes out and I do a rip of the complete score that Call of the Crystal and Irina's Theme will be at the top of disk 2. Anyone who's traded for my complete scores knows that I'm very much a student of the Mattesino/Redman style from the Star Wars SEs and Rhino Superman.

filmtracks.com has posted a review of KotCS! **** out of *****

Hmmm, I don't agree with that review.

He seems to be there to only point out what he doesn't like, and then pretty much ends every paragraph with ". . . but it's a John Williams Indy score, so you gotta love it."

Some of these chronological album edits seem a bit rough .i might put back some of the complete tracks but in approximate order.

I FINALLY got it yesterday, i've just listened to it for the second time and I love it, remember I dont have or know the other 3 albums so for me this is a new experience, I agree, we don't have a very powerful new theme or themes, but we got a very cohesive album as someone said before

no new material? we have THREE new themes!!!(being my favorite the Call of the crystal)

i've read some complains about the jungle chase, but I dont hear anything wrong about it, its great!

Also i have to try, as you recommended, to listen the album in chronological order!

my only complain: track 12, Grave Robbers: too much Geisha, Zam the assassin, Lost Word... it's a hleter skelter of other materials....

about the Oscars, as I recall, sequel scores cannot be nominated anymore!! this was said in the times of POE!!! dont you remember,or something changed??

PS: Colin,I loved your review

about the Oscars, as I recall, sequel scores cannot be nominated anymore!! this was said in the times of POE!!! dont you remember,or something changed??

It was said in 2002 at the time of AOTC, TTT....

And yes something changed, because ROTK won.

And POA was nominated.

After seing the film twice and giving the soudtrack an extensive whirl back and forth, I give the soundtrack the highest marks. I just NEED to have the the ruskie theme discussed more here... And NO, I don't mean irinas theme...

-Snowster

U.S. Billboard 200, anyone?

39 NEW Soundtrack Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull Peak:39 Wks On:1

the decision to put the Raiders March concert suite on the CD is justified then.

Well,that and the bad edits in Jungle Chase are my only miffs about the OST.

There have been far worse Williams OST's .this is probably one of the better ones.

frankly, i wouldnt mind a microedit in The Jungle Chase cutting out the music where Mutt shares his moment of understanding with the monkey. On album, it brings the momentum built up to a screeching halt.

frankly, i wouldnt mind a microedit in The Jungle Chase cutting out the music where Mutt shares his moment of understanding with the monkey. On album, it brings the momentum built up to a screeching halt.

I think the problem here is not the "monkey music," but the fact that the first 8 minutes of this cue is missing. If we had 10 minutes of mind-blowing jungle chase music and THEN the "monkey music," we'd be glad of this short respite.

I miss part of the beggining of jungle chase so much (the part after indy destroys the jungle cutter, with irinas theme, then russian theme and then a kick ass mix into the indy march) :)

• 4 months later...

I noticed two things about the score when watching the film again:

1. In JW's first cue of the film, after soldiers are shot (which is still one of the if not the best unreleased cues from the film), there is a brilliant little motif playing throughout. I thought I heard that same motif play at the end when Charlie walks past the man painting the letters on the door. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

2. I was curious to see what the main menu animation was, so I selected all of the options on Disc 1. Under "Special Features" there was a variation of the Ark Theme that I don't think was used in Raiders or KotCS, but I could be wrong.

I noticed two things about the score when watching the film again:

1. In JW's first cue of the film, after soldiers are shot (which is still one of the if not the best unreleased cues from the film), there is a brilliant little motif playing throughout. I thought I heard that same motif play at the end when Charlie walks past the man painting the letters on the door. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday, it's almost the same motif (but in major mode instead of minor). That motif is actually a variation on the Russian theme. I liked the idea that the film opened and closed with the same motif, but transformed from minor to major

2. I was curious to see what the main menu animation was, so I selected all of the options on Disc 1. Under "Special Features" there was a variation of the Ark Theme that I don't think was used in Raiders or KotCS, but I could be wrong.

I think it may just be an alternate take of "Spell of the Skull".