What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Realized just now that it's Boardwalk Empire. I always thought it was Broadwalk Empire.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

My world has just collapsed.

Karol

Mad Man: Fury Road is not out yet on Blu.

John Hamm plays secondary fiddle to Christina Hendricks in this one, though.

And Cargo and The Why-er?

Karol

Mad Man: Fury Road is not out yet on Blu.

John Hamm plays secondary fiddle to Christina Hendricks in this one, though.

And Cargo and The Why-er?

Karol

I thought it was The Why Her?

Could have been! Me bad.

Do you guys watch Lust?

Karol

Down Town Abbey?

People really make that mistake????

Only in America, surely!

Wow. I never noticed, I just always read it as "town". I've never actually seen the show though.

I just binge watched the BBC adaptation of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel. I have not read the novel so I can't say what was changed and how but on its own merits it was an intriguing idea to adapt this to the small screen. In essence a very typical British costume drama set in the 18th and 19th century but with a slight twist.The story presents an alternate history of Britain where magic exists but which has been dormant for 300 years and now two magicians, Strange and Norell, are destined to bring it back. The cast is excellent with a lot of familiar faces from British TV and movies lending the 7 episode mini-series a lot of credibility.

The protagonists are wonderfully cast. Eddie Marsan as the diminutive, taciturn, somewhat nebbish and bookish Mr. Norrell is a perfect choice, an unlikely leading man whose rise and fall is a delight to watch. A British TV stalwart Bertie Carvel gives a lively performance as Jonathan Strange in contrast to the reserved Marsan, his character arc equally compelling as his co-magician's. Mark Warren has turned in some impressive performances over the years in all genres and his character the Gentleman might be visually slightly over the top but always menacing and otherworldly and the actor plays him with just the right balance of melodrama and subtlety. The series mines quite a lot of humour from the stiff upper lip society and the personalities of the main characters which keeps the proceedings from turning too dark and actually adds to the whole feel of the show. It is not the utter self-aware silliness of the Prachett TV adaptations but rather wry commentary on the personalities and society of the times.

At times the effects budget allows for some wonderfully effective shots but it feels that the show was never going for the spectacular visual extravaganza to hold its audiences but leans much more to the period drama and performances than blue screen backgrounds and explosions. Only at the end the visual effects take on a more grandiose guise, which in part further enhances the story arc as there is a gradual build-up rather than continual flood of eye-popping and mind numbing effects. Sadly the score by Benoît Charest and Benoît Groulx is somewhat predictable and performs very well its function but not much more.

The magic performed on-screen is often very subtle and usually left somewhat unexplained (apparently unlike in the novel which has a whole host of footnotes on the subject) retaining a mysterious, somewhat ephemeral feel throughout the story, which is all the better for it. The script often addresses the prominent subject of magic only in passing and focuses on other themes of the novel, like the whole notion of Englishness and the paralleling of science and magic in research and discoveries and "orthodoxy" of their doctrines and the lures of fame and glory. On the other hand you could say this series trusts the audience to fill in the blanks without the director and script holding their hand all the time and basically spelling out everything to them and in that way diminishing the magic by explaining it away. The series seems to say "Strange things happen with magicians and faeries and you just have to go along for the ride". And it is quite an enjoyable one indeed.

I read the book when I was about 16 or 17, as I recall it was a long read and the font was tiny, plus there were loads of footnotes (most of them tinged with humour). I remember liking it but not much else. Maybe I should have a look at the series.

I just began Sons of Anarchy, that's good!

I'm interested in it. Currently I'm watching Californication, when that's finished I'll start with the biker gang.

That's not very realistic, but that's entertaining. I just began season two.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer season 4

Starts out quite rocky, with a new setting, a few characters off to do their spin-off show (Angel and Cordelia) or ditched (Oz).

The whole Buffy feeling overwhelmed by college seems a bit like a repetition of the first season where she was overwhelmed by her new high-school.

I would say the first part of the season is serviceable, if nothing more. And the whole Initiative arc didn't really grab me so much. (secret government organisations have become such a cliché in TV now).

It isnt really till Hush that thing start to take off. Hush is a truly fantastic episode. Love the way this usually extremely talky show manages to shut up for half an hour and be absolutely scary and captivating.

After Hush the quality starts to improve a bit, and the arc gains in some interest. Though they really wasted Lindsay Crouse in her role, and Riley, while being the polar opposite of the ever brooding Angel, isnt a very interesting character.

The big bad of the season is Adam, assembled from man, demon and robot parts. He's essentially a proto version of Ultron. Like most Whedon baddies he's eloquent, a bit too much to be truly scary, but more interesting then the Mayor I thought.

I did like that the show drops a bomb right when you think the Initiative/Adam arc is really gonna kick off and they wake up Faith from her soap opera coma.

After that the season goes on very much as usual. Evil diabolical plan, impending doom, the potential for heartbreak for Buffy (thankfully she (we) are spared this season. Nothing really out of the ordinary in the broad strokes. But some of the detailing is very interesting. The still annoying Xander get a girlfriend even m ore annoying then Cordelia, but she's really hot. Willow becoming a lesbian was handled rather well and while the initial break-up of the Scooby Gang seemed a bit convenient and forced, the final make-up is very satisfying and funny.

Also interesting. The usual; big season finale happens...with one more episode to go. Restless finishes the season as the ultimate mind-fuck in 45 minutes of TV which would rival anything David Lynch did for Twin Peaks. Superb!

Angel has two appearances in this season, both fairly pointless (unless you watch his show maybe)