The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

No one seems to have posted all the titles here so here we go:

Taps by Maurice Jarre (1200 copies)

http://www.varesesar...259/Taps/Detail

The Karate Kid by Bill Conti (2000 copies)

http://www.varesesar...rate-Kid/Detail

Home Movies by Pino Donnagio (1000 copies)

http://www.varesesar...e-Movies/Detail

And of course Family Plot by John Williams at 5,000 copies, but we have a separate thread to discuss that.

I guess we can look forward to the Karate Kid scores coming out one at a time over the next couple of years.

Which is good for those who missed the box set or couldn't afford it.

i suppose what they released is the only surviving source...

Well, the SE DVD of The Poseidon Adventure which was released about 4/5 years ago has the main titles in stereo, so I'd be surprised if that particular source had been lost since then.

I did ask about this in one of the related threads over at FSM but unfortunately didn't get an answer.

Maybe it has the sound effects on it from the main title sequence?

Yes, that's quite possible man, I'd be a little surprised but you never know.

It would be easy enough to email Mike M about it but I'm not that bothered in the sense that it will do nothing to alter the recent release as it stands now.

It's a shame they didn't have the same type of mono elements available to work with like Family Plot as I think a little quality was sacrificed to obtain the 'stereo' effect, the FSM version sounds a touch cleaner to me and I think Family Plot sounds pretty good considering it's made from the 3 track mono elements.

Still, I love the release though ;)

Edit -

Here's the Main Title from the SE DVD, the sound effects are minimal to none once the piece kicks in.

I'm still curious as to why it wasn't used but it's hardly case for a panic attack either way I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvCxYNrbkbU

It won't play here or at youtube, and now it says the video has been removed by user.

Of course I could just take the DVD off mys shelf and play it. :cool:

• 2 months later...

It looks like Varese has been adding older titles back into their online catalog. And they are also putting the date of the release on there as well.

I hope Varese has some club releases coming out soon!

I looked it up, and

In 2001, they released club CDs in November [3 titles]

In 2002, they released club CDs in February, May, July, November [ 13 titles]

In 2003, they released club CDs in April, July, August, November [11 titles]

In 2004, they released club CDs in February, August, November [7 titles]

In 2005, they released club CDs in May, August, November [11 titles]

In 2006, they released club CDs in March, July, November [13 titles]

In 2007, they released club CDs in March, July, November [13 titles]

In 2008, they released club CDs in February, June, September, November [18 titles]

In 2009, they released club CDs in March, June, September, December [14 titles]

In 2010, they released club CDs in March, April, June, September, November [15 titles]

Where did you come up with April? It looks to me like we should expect a batch in February or March!

I thought soemone from Varese said once that they don't have a regular schedule. i.e. they simply release them when they're ready.

If that's true, you might be able to look back at their previous release dates and see some patterns, but those would have no bearing on future release dates.

I think the only correct answer to the question "When will Varese release their next batch of limited editions?" is "no one knows".

Of course I'm sure more are in the works, so perhaps a better answer would be "sooner or later".^^

Normally you take the number of CDs released and that is usually how many months are in between batches. So probably February or March for the next batch.

Well one release from Varese is coming, Jerry Goldsmith's 80th Birthday Concert that took place in Tenerife, on July 2009.

If you are friends with Varese on Facebook they have a teaser for it. Don't know if it will be a regular or club release.

Ugh, heard some of Brian Tyler's score to Battle L.A. on the official website. http://battlela.com/site/

It appears to have been temped with Zimmer's TDK, sigh.... what a wasted opportunity for good music. All creativity is lost amongst today's composers and film makers.

Ugh, heard some of Brian Tyler's score to Battle L.A. on the official website. http://battlela.com/site/

It appears to have been temped with Zimmer's TDK, sigh.... what a wasted opportunity for good music. All creativity is lost amongst today's composers and film makers.

The night is darkest before the dawn.

I hope. =/

I mean, I don't know why anyone expected good music from Battle L.A. of all things.

Probably because everyone loves Brian Tyler, for whatever reason.

And some made comparison to his Children of Dune score, which is actually one of his good scores.

I mean, I don't know why anyone expected good music from Battle L.A. of all things.

Probably because everyone loves Brian Tyler, for whatever reason.

And some made comparison to his Children of Dune score, which is actually one of his good scores.

I respect that he's a skilled musician who can play and conduct his own stuff, but I think his compositional voice is nonexistent.

I recollect the last few batches being announced within like a week of their release.

It's getting a bit quiet in music land.

We were really spoiled last year, some good stuff has come out but not as great as most of the music we got in 2010. So yeah it does seem quiet.

I did get one of my personal grails this year, Delerue's Rich and Famous.