Michael Giacchino's LOST (2004-2010) - live concert tour in 2024

Jay

I have said it before but I'll say it again that the way Giacchino succeeded in building this whole lexicon of themes and ideas and developed it through 6 consecutive seasons is nigh mind boggling. Especially considering the way he worked, by his own words not having any idea of how the show would develop or without any prior knowledge of the plot beyond the episode he was scoring. And yes he must have often been surprised when some of his musical ideas payed so well off in ways he didn't even think of when he first introduced them. But he was also very savvy in taking up on the opporturnities to employ these ideas throughout and finding suitable dramatic links and context for them.

Generally it would be interesting to know what kind of process TV scoring has compared to films as the post production schedule is usually much more hectic and time constraints might not allow a deep spotting sessions for each episode.

Varese should release a disc of missing highlights from the six seasons. Maybe engage fans to vote for what to be included like Kraft did for the Elfman box.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently came across this great series of youtube videos which covers 30 of the themes from the show, and for each one has a new picture AND lists the OST tracks where you can find the theme in question. Pretty cool:

Wow listening to those themes made me realize how much of Giacchino's best work thusfar has been for Lost. Those were some awesome themes and moments. I need to go back to the soundtracks after this and give them another spin. :)

This could be a good opportunity for you to get back to writing reviews... You know, the stuff you were once known for...

Yes BB. Those were the times. Before the dark times, before a full time job.

But I'll remember this idea BB. Not a bad one. Not bad at all.

One thing these videos made clear for is that what he called The Departure Theme never fails to illicit an emotional response from me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Giacchino's best theme ever?

Yes exactly, Parting Words. The season 1 finale when the raft departs. Best television scoring ever?

It's so rare for a theme to get a long, fully developed line like that, especially on network TV

I have to keep bringing Michael Kamen's Band of Brothers up (although a miniseries). It had one ravishing score that one.

Giacchino's work on Lost is some of the best TV music ever.

I've still never seen that or listened to its score. I should do both.

Most definitely! Both come extremely highly recommended.

Giacchino's work on Lost is some of the best TV music ever.

In recent times at least, I would agree. Hard to say the best ever because then you're talking about things like the 1960s twilight zone, etc., which is some phenomenal music.

I certainly wouldn't kick her our of bed, but no love for Kate? Where do Ana Lucia, Sun, Claire, Shannon and Charlotte rank?

I certainly wouldn't kick her our of bed, but no love for Kate? Where do Ana Lucia, Sun, Claire, Shannon and Charlotte rank?

1. Juliet

2. Sun

3. Claire

4. Ben's daughter "Alex" (that's it right?)

5. Ana Lucia

6. Shannon

7. Kate

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I took the Lost soundtracks for a spin this past weekend...and I heard something I hadn't heard before:

Season 4 Soundtrack, "Lying for the Island" 3:16-3:22

Is that a woman's voice? If it's an instrument I can't place it at all. 

Good catch. I'm guessing it's just one of the violas or cellos attacking that note in a way that happens to mimic a human voice, but it sure does sound like humming, doesn't it?

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have a link to an analysis of the various LOST themes? Pretty sure at one point I came across a good one, but am having a hard time finding any. The show has so many themes and motifs; I was wondering if anyone had catalogued their appearances on the albums.