What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

18 hours ago, Romão said:

...plus Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle are stunning works in the opera repertoire that I also find are quite easy to get into.

My city orchestra is actually playing that early next year.  I keep kicking around the idea of picking up a ticket.  I was listening to a Proms performance on YouTube.

:music: The Monkey King 2 by Christopher Young. Haven't finished yet but I  might be actually prefer this score to the original. I never really cared that much for that one but 2 seems more interesting so far. One of the best of 2016, for sure. And a really terrific album from Intrada.

Karol

Jumanji - James Horner

Written off as lacking entry in the Horner children's catalogue (not that the shallow funfair trappings of the movie did help) one can find - in hindsight - a surprising number of virtues in it. Thematically it's much more slim than expected with a foreboding, vaguely russian, horn call acting as the movie's main theme (a playful variant opens the YT clip above) but there's an agreeable harshness, harmonically and in orchestration, in 'Jumanji' that is unusual for Horner's more innocuous scores and when it's coupled with his ethereal andean flutes i. e. in 'It's Sarah's Move', it makes for an interesting combination.

The other observation is how Horner's mellow and more textural americana style that characterized his later years evolved here: in 'Alan Parrish' and the finale you get all the ingredients from 'Spitfire Grill' to 'Spiderwick Chronicles'. Considering the rollercoaster style of the movie it shows Horner for the masterful dramatist he often was: instead of highlighting the frenziness (you can feel Horner's disaffection for musically illustrating mayhem at points, btw.) he highlights the heartful elements musically. Which may or may have not led to the fallout with director Joe Johnston. Anyway, it was the right choice as it anchors the score emotionally beyond a superficial collection of action cues. It's not a great score but it should be textbook example for aspiring composers how to attack a movie musically without getting trapped in moments.

On July 19, 2016 at 4:23 PM, leeallen01 said:

Fernando Velazquez - Crimson Peak

I can't get enough of his timeless style. He's the Composer that I'm most excited about for the future. In film music terms he's just getting started, and he's already written many scores that seriously impress. 

I adore his string writing, and his memorable melodies that translate beautifully throughout all instrument groups.

Meh. He's one of those "Euro-lite" composers that occasionally offer some wonderful moments, but usually lack in substance, especially when it comes to underscore. He joins the likes of Korzeniowski in that regard, but at least to the Polish composer's credit, he has a more distinctive voice.

On July 21, 2016 at 6:26 AM, Sharkus Malarkus said:

You're a braver than me. I really can't stomach Wagner.

I can only do Wagner in doses. Bloated he can be, but there are moments/passages of such fine craftsmanship, it's hard not to admire.

As much as I like this score I don't really listen to the album that much. I prefer to just put the film on in the background. Having said that, the expanded album was worth the price for this one suite. It might be one of my very favourite Hans Zimmer tracks of all time:

Karol

9 hours ago, KK said:

I can only do Wagner in doses. Bloated he can be, but there are moments/passages of such fine craftsmanship, it's hard not to admire.

For sure. There are some heart-stopping moments amid the sonic diarrhoea. It's like what I say about a lot of Shostavovich's later symphonies--the man needed an editor .

It really took The New World to a fully appreciate the proto-spectralism of the Rhinemaidens. Something about it being attached to a humanist rather than Nietzschian worldview helped. If only someone could apply Strauss's Ein Heldenleben or the Alpine Symphony to film as effectively as Malick, then I might be able to disassociate it from images of ol' Adolf traipsing around Berchtesgaden with his beloved Alsatian.

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

As much as I like this score I don't really listen to the album that much. I prefer to just put the film on in the background. Having said that, the expanded album was worth the price for this one suite. It might be one of my very favourite Hans Zimmer tracks of all time:

Karol

It's better than everything!

So is Star Trek: Generations!