What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Jurassic Park Trilogy - By John Williams and Don Davis. I would kill to hear these in complete, unedited form, and w/o the SFX. Davis had the Promo, but was still missing film edits, and I think 2013 would be a great year for LLLR to re-release these, or even intrada.

That score is due for a remaster. I don't know if there's a lot of missing music, and the recording is good, but the CD is awfully hissy and has a dropout at some point (at least mean does).

All the King's Men by James Horner: Among my favourite post 2000 Horner. Not only it is vintage Horner it also covers some new ground (at least to my ears) and possesses two knock out themes and surprisingly little overt Hornerisms and has a beautiful film noirish feel just oozing darkness and tragedy. Horner is a superb melodramatist and the essence of the story comes through loud and clear in his music, the album just the right length and with prudent selection of material.

X-Men - Michael Kamen

It's a bit too ambient and anonymous (surprising considering Kamen's usual high-caliber stuff), but the first 2.5 minutes of "Logan and Rogue" is simply sublime. (And dare I say, one of Kamen's best cues ever.) It's a shame... I don't know if it was Bryan Singer or the studio that kept Kamen restrained but it shows. Would've been nice to hear a less-restrained X-Men score from Kamen prior to his passing in 2004...

Lady in the Water - JNH

a nice experience , kind of some minimalism going on, no? Kind of Philip Glassy.

It often sounds like he took on Zimmer's structures from The Da Vinci Code and spun them around his way (not the maint themes, but the actual rhythmic ostinatos underneath).

It often sounds like he took on Zimmer's structures from The Da Vinci Code and spun them around his way (not the maint themes, but the actual rhythmic ostinatos underneath).

Perhaps these two friends exchanged thoughts as both scores were done in the same year. Although I still vastly prefer JNHs take on minimalism in Lady in the Water but surprisingly Zimmer's contribution to Da Vinci Code is one of the rare scores I have actually liked from him in the last few years.

X-Men - Michael Kamen

It's a bit too ambient and anonymous (surprising considering Kamen's usual high-caliber stuff), but the first 2.5 minutes of "Logan and Rogue" is simply sublime. (And dare I say, one of Kamen's best cues ever.)

I believe you will find that Kamen took that theme straight out of his score for Mr. Holland's Opus (track titled Rowena) but it is still one of his most gorgeous melodies, so full of yearning.

Ritmica Ostinata - Akira Ifukube. 1961 version, for ye who likes crazy melodic ostinatos and odd time signatures... This is a classic.

There is a composer I should listen to more as I have a criminally small knowledge of his music.

He's Japanese....

Japanese composers... just... just... quality!

There are so many that I have huge man-crushes on. Kondo... Otani... Hisaishi... Sagisu... Ifukube... Uematsu, Mitsuda, guys.. The list goes on forever.

Memoirs of a Gay John Willliams

thanks for the laugh, rofl. isnt that blasphemy in this part of THE WEB? not saying i have anything against gays...