What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Arnold's music has developed that satisfying orchestration I like. Deep melodic brass lines, inevitable strings which swirl and thread, just the right balance of boom tish, etc etc. Is he still using the same guy from his Independence Day days?

It's fucking criminal Arnold hasn't taken up the gauntlet in movies. Criminal I tell thee.

Blah! Arnold will never reclaim the crown of scoredom nor achieve the grand adventurous heights of his early scores. Sadly.

You know who else turned from a great path long ago? James Horner. The last score I listened to was "Battle Beyond the Stars," which I'd somehow never heard before. Lots of little homages and or plagiarisms throughout, but it just has so much energy!! Loved it!

Next up: Krull.

Krull is great but long. It's a nice companion score to Star Trek 2 and Star Trek 3, being composed in between those two scores and featuring some of the same ideas

Coincidentally, this is what I'm listening to at the moment. I can see some ideas from Star Trek II but as a whole the score is very fresh (relatively). Almost too enthusiastic and feverish at some points, which can be only explained by the state Horner was in while writing. Can imagine it's almost too much for any film. But a great fun it is and one his very best.

Karol - who disagrees Horner has lost it (he's about the same as he ever was)

Coincidentally, this is what I'm listening to at the moment. I can see some ideas from Star Trek II but as a whole the score is very fresh (relatively). Almost too enthusiastic and feverish at some points, which can be only explained by the state Horner was in while writing. Can imagine it's almost too much for any film. But a great fun it is and one his very best.

Karol - who disagrees Horner has lost it (he's about the same as he ever was)

Horner, you haven't aged a day.

fotr0099.jpg

But he's not much changed since the 90's.

Karol

And he keeps the world green by recycling, that's for sure.

Jack Reacher by Joe Kraemer

Just got my hands on my (autographed, yay!) copy of this score. It's not exactly what they advertise - can't say I hear a lot of 70's here. The music is largely traditional and orchestral, sure. Reminds me a lot of Howard Shore, actually. And David Shire's Zodiac, probably even more so. And that's actually a big compliment, for those two gentlmen know exactly what to do with a dark thriller music. It's strength lies not so much in melodic material, which is quite simple (Jack Reacher's theme consists of two notes!), as much as, quite rich, for a thriller of this nature, texture. The music has certain warmth to it, despite being quite dark and moody for most of its running time. And, I take it, Bruce Botnick's recording and mixing, add to that feeling a great deal. There are woodwinds in here as well. And a duduk, in a surprisingly un-cliche fashion (think The Russia House). I'm not sure yet just how strong the score is altogether on disc, but I like it.

Karol

Jurassic Park. Bar none, my favorite Williams score ever, I find it a shame that there seems to be zero plans of ever giving these an expansion, especially in time for its 20th anniversary.

Batman - Danny Elfman

After considerable re-listening, it remains my favorite Elfman score. I can understand why people would prefer Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns or any other of his mid-1980s to early 1990s scores. But it feels a bit more raw, less polished, and more mysterious. I don't know if it was Shirley Walker and Steven Scott Smalley's orchestrations that gave it that more unique flavor, like the layered brass and more active percussion section.

And it feels timeless... it complements the movie and really accents the neo Gothic flavor. Shirley Walker and Elliot Goldenthal were the only other ones who were able to capture that comic-book essence of that character.

Batman, as a score is lacking something for me. That intangible something that would have made me love it.

I know what you're getting at, but it's the exact opposite for me. It's still very Elfman in his earlier stages, but without the slick electronic programming that defines a lot of his early 2000s efforts (like his Men in Black and Spider-Man scores) and minus cooing children's choirs that became a staple in Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns.

I find this side of Elfman really appealing. It's quite an impressive score for his fourth year scoring Hollywood films.

Suite from the new EVIL DEAD. It's friggin' fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i3i-pSZRPMQ

Holy crap! That sounds great!

Must get this score asap. I'm not very familiar with Banos.

But damn these Spanish composers really know how to do their horror scores (Fernando Velázquez, Arnau Bataller, etc)!!!

I'm in a John Williams mood today. Angela's Ashes, followed by Lincoln, JFK, Born on the Fourth of July and now A.I.

Who knows? I might actually give Munich a spin tonight. It's been many years...

Karol