What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I'm still baffled at the brilliance Howard conjures for his films.

I was going to agree with this . . . except the answer's probably not that difficult. I think it's just the fact that Howard's brilliant. He doesn't rely on good material to create good material. He brings his best every time.

- Uni

Not every time...

I'm still baffled at the brilliance Howard conjures for his films.

I was going to agree with this . . . except the answer's probably not that difficult. I think it's just the fact that Howard's brilliant. He doesn't rely on good material to create good material. He brings his best every time.

- Uni

I disagree, particularly if we're talking about the past couple of years. Snow White And The Huntsman, The Hunger Games, The Green Lantern...

Wojo, you've only just seen Tintin? Did you see it on Blu btw? Glad you enjoyed it ;)

Only just, yes. Netflix, not Blu. I didn't want to rent it if I could stream it, and I don't need to watch it again any time soon.

It was decent quality, and I feed my signal through a BR player via HDMI cable, since the TV supports 1080. The image did go wonky in Bagghar, but rewinding a few moments fixed it.

Netflix streams reasonably close to actual 1080p anyway.

not in this country. it's not even close.

The problem with streaming usually isn't the resolution (not even the perceived resolution) but the compression rate. I watch most of my TV shows as captured HDTV downloads, and the recompression just noticeably reduces the image quality. In scene with a lot of movement, the image can quickly deteriorate due to compression artifacts.

Skyfall.

Why can't I get into this franchise..? Another entry that doesn't resonate with me at all. Characters I care nothing about, a plot that feels like a rehash of another movie and it was nowhere near as 'serious' or 'different' than I was led to believe.

And that actress who plays M: I know that woman won like Golden Globe awards and shit, but I just don't believe her in that particular role. I keep seeing some common, no-starpower-at-all granny they picked up from the streets. She lacks the attitude, the conviction to play what she is suppose to play. She might be great in Jane Eyre, but in the Bond movies she sticks out like a soar thumb.

Of course it doesn't help that the plot is focussed on her.

So I've probably hurt some Bondies in here, so bring it on bitches..! ;)

Joey's wrong, Netflix DEFINITELY streams in TRUE HD here in the USA. Joey, I have a feeling you have something wrong with your settings or the device you are using to stream. What are you using to stream?

If there's one thing Judi Dench is certainly not lacking that would be attitude.

Karol

Yeah, I'm sure she has. I just don't believe it in her portayal of M...

You see, I don't really think she is portraying anyone. Not here not in pretty much any other film she's done. Not so much of an actress, but a presence, rather. I don't think she acts most of the time. She is just being Judi Dench... and gets away with it.

Karol

You see, I don't really think she is portraying anyone. Not here not in pretty much any other film she's done. Not so much of an actress, but a presence, rather. I don't think she acts most of the time. She is just being Judi Dench... and gets away with it.

Karol

Not in my book then...

Django Unchained

Loved it! I don't get why anyone would say it was too long, or that it felt like it carried on for 40 minutes after it should have ended. It was a very straightforward 3 act story, you can't lose anything at the end!

Which scene had the Goldsmith music? I've never heard Under Fire before

It's the scene where they approach Candieland. Just before the dogs are unleashed.

And Jason; wasn't Samuel L. Jackson completely brilliant in this film..? :)

Django Unchained

Loved it! I don't get why anyone would say it was too long, or that it felt like it carried on for 40 minutes after it should have ended. It was a very straightforward 3 act story, you can't lose anything at the end!

The ending loses the momentum built from the dinner scene.

If there's one thing Judi Dench is certainly not lacking that would be attitude.

Karol

Yeah, I'm sure she has. I just don't believe it in her portayal of M...

I loved her as M.

Samuel L Jackson was indeed great, but his bald cap and make-up effects to age him were pretty bad

Thanks for telling me which scene, Delorean and Sandor :)

Dark Knight Rises.

It's an even better film that I remembered. It's flaws are not so glaring this time around, or they are more palatable. It's another great ensemble job. Anne Hathaway is quickly becoming one of the best actresses of our time.

Anne Hathaway is quickly becoming one of the best actresses of our time.

Wtf..?!

you have a problem with that. or do you just have wtf on the brain. Care to dispute it with actual reasoning. I know that's probably asking a lot.

Django Unchained

:eek:

well he's young, the movie was hardly seen by anyone. It's highly regarded in JG's canon but I don't own it anymore on any format. I can't even remember it.

I've never seen the film but the score is brilliant. My favorite Jerry.

As for Judi Dench not being right for M... uh, what? She's owned that role for over a decade. Hard to imagine anyone else in her place, like Desmond Llewelyn as Q, but I'm glad they took the time to make that inevitable transition when they could.

well he's young, the movie was hardly seen by anyone. It's highly regarded in JG's canon but I don't own it anymore on any format. I can't even remember it.

Shame on you. :mrgreen:

Shame on you. :mrgreen:

may the great Amon Ra curse with with the Hom Dai.

Dark Knight Rises.

It's an even better film that I remembered. It's flaws are not so glaring this time around, or they are more palatable. It's another great ensemble job. Anne Hathaway is quickly becoming one of the best actresses of our time.

I just watched this today for the first time ever. I don't know how I feel about it. I didn't hate it, but I don't love it either. I need to reflect on it.

How much time do you need? It's not that complicated, Wojo. You don't hate it but you aren't enthusiastic about it either. That sounds like a 5/10 or a 6/10 movie to me.