Your Top 10 favourite Superhero/Comic book movies

Quintus

7. Daredevil: Director's Cut

Honorable mentions :

Daredevil (Directors Cut).

Is the DC that film vastly superior to the TC? I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts.

Oh, Very much so. It's a completely different movie.

1. Batman Returns

2. The Dark Knight

3. V for Vendetta

4. Superman

5. Batman Begins

6. X2.

7. Hulk.

8. Marvel's The Avengers

9. Watchmen

10. Spider-Man 2

Karol

And she was always much sexier than pretty little Gellar.

Really? I would be all over Gellar before Swanson.....

It's not a bad film. Dumbed-down, Hollywood-ised version of the comic book, sure. But at least it's trying to do it's own thing and is still above most pop culture entertainment out there. I reckon it's really well done.

Karol

I can't understand why... Seriously, I can't.

There's nothing I hate more than characters doing all the discussing and debating for you. My god, I hate this film!

There's nothing I hate more than characters doing all the discussing and debating for you. My god, I hate this film!

I just find the film bland.

The character debating is tricky thing.

1) The Dark Knight

2) Unbreakable

3) Road to Perdition

4) Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

5) The Avengers

6) Batman Begins

7) Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

8) The Incredibles

9) Superman

10) X2

11) Spider-Man 2

Honorable mention goes to Batman Returns, which I think isn't a perfect movie but it dares to be so different, morose, artsy, and strange that it deserves mention. It also has a few of the best performances you'll see in a comic book/superhero film with Michelle Pfieffer and Danny DeVito.

1) The Dark Knight

2) Unbreakable

3) Road to Perdition

5) The Avengers

7) Batman Begins

6) Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

7) The Incredibles

8) Superman

9) X2

10) Spider-Man 2

Shouldn't B:MOTP be over BB since it's #6 in your list? Is BB and The Incredibles tied at #7 since they're both at #7 in your list? It would certainly explain why you rank 11 movies instead of 10. Just sayin'

1) The Dark Knight

2) Unbreakable

3) Road to Perdition

5) The Avengers

7) Batman Begins

6) Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

7) The Incredibles

8) Superman

9) X2

10) Spider-Man 2

Shouldn't B:MOTP be over BB since it's #6 in your list? Is BB and The Incredibles tied at #7 since they're both at #7 in your list? It would certainly explain why you rank 11 movies instead of 10. Just sayin'

Wow, I didn't notice any of that. Thanks for cluing me in. It has been fixed.

10) The Return of Captain Invincible

9) Scott Pilgrim Vs the World

8) Superman 2

7) Batman Returns

6) X-Men: First Class

5) Spider-Man 2

4) X-Men

3) The Dark Knight

2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

1) X2: X-Men United

I've never been that interested in superhero movies, to be honest (movies based on comic books is a whole other thing). But some good ones:

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE

BATMAN

BATMAN RETURNS

BLADE

HULK (Ang Lee version)

THE AVENGERS was OK.

It's ironical too, since I was an avid comic book reader and collector as a kid. But except for The Phantom -- who in himself isnt' exactly a SUPERhero -- I wasn't that into those types of comic books. THE PHANTOM film, incidentally, was disastrous and totally betrayed the source material, IMO. Great score, though.

7. Daredevil: Director's Cut

Honorable mentions :

Daredevil (Directors Cut).

Is the DC that film vastly superior to the TC? I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts.

It adds in a whole subplot with the two lawyers actually working and trying to defend their client (Coolio) as well as moving some stuff around. Some of the worst offenders of the movie (i.e. the playground fight) are still there, but the whole movie feels different. Still not a great movie, but I think the fact that the DC is so much better lends many to hold it in high regard.

Your opinion is wrong.

Karol

Your opinion is wrong.

It can't be wrong. I checked it, I watched the thing again, and I came to the same conclusion. I hate it! The constant monologues and endless pedantesque lectures make the masked character an even worse oppressor than the cliched Big Brother figure of the movie (and don't tell me that's the point of the movie). It looks like a cheap BBC movie too.

Alex

I would have to think about that, Richard. Hmm, Inception is one of them. "Most hated" are usually competent movies that rub me the wrong way and that make me angry. It doesn't mean they are essentially bad movies. Really bad movies are harmless and sometimes even quite fun (AvP and Death Race, for example) Recently, I hated Shutter Island and Doomsday, the latter wasn't even compentent but downright terrible.

Alex

I loved Cape Fear! That one was a comedy! The drama in Shutter Island was overbearing, just like in Inception. (see the dramatic scenes with Leo's wive ... exactly the same in both movies ... Yikes!)

I would have to think about that, Richard. Hmm, Inception is one of them. "Most hated" are usually competent movies that rub me the wrong way and that make me angry. It doesn't mean they are essentially bad movies. Really bad movies are harmless and sometimes even quite fun (AvP and Death Race, for example) Recently, I hated Shutter Island and Doomsday, the latter wasn't even compentent but downright terrible.

I think this happens to me as well.

I loved Cape Fear! That one was a comedy! The drama in Shutter Island was overbearing, just like in Inception. (see the dramatic scenes with Leo's wive ... exactly the same in both movies ... Yikes!)

Joe and Alex agreeing on two of the three here. Oh my God.

I just love the humid and sticky aesthetic of those movies. The atmosphere is dense and sweaty, a bit like Body Heat; and the scores seem to revel in it. I like that sort of stuff.

And yet you hate Cape Fear. Which to me is almost identical to Shutter Island.

Cape Fear is nothing like Shutter Island, nothing like it at all. Shutter Island is never vile and is always better than Cape Fear. Cape Fear fails on so many levels, first of which is being a remake it fails to even touch the quality of the original. Cape Fear is an A-lister remake of a B movie that stoops the the level of a bad Z-grade hack and slash film.

Many people hated the movie but I'm one of the few who likes Daredevil. That and Evanescence (we like to play it in our band).

Many people hated the movie but I'm one of the few who likes Daredevil. That and Evanescence (we like to play it in our band).

I used to work with Amy Lee.

I used to work with Amy Lee.

No way! In what capacity? What is she like?

Their first album was great all the way through. Second album had a few good songs surrounded by forgettable garbage. Third album was terrible from note 1

• 6 years later...

Six year bump.

My top ten superhero/comic book movies:

1. The Incredibles (5 out of 5)

2. The Adventures of Tintin (4.5 out of 5)

3. Thor: Ragnarok (4.5 out of 5)

4. Incredibles 2 (4.5 out of 5)

5. Avengers: Infinity War (4 out of 5)

6. Ant-Man and the Wasp (4 out of 5)

7. Guardians of the Galaxy (4 out of 5)

8. Iron Man (4 out of 5)

9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (4 out of 5)

10. Thor (4 out of 5)

1. Batman Returns

2. Batman Returns

3. Batman Returns

4. Batman Returns

5. Batman Returns

6. Batman Returns

7. Batman Returns

8. Batman Returns

9. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie

10. Supergirl

1. The Dark Knight