BloodBoal

Nostalgia plays a significant part, but Aliens has always been my favourite in the franchise and just one of my favourite movies ever. It's the ultimate action movie. That it's set in space, has genuine scares and suspense, a motley crew of fantastic characters and THE most quotable script of all time, and well, it's just one of those great stars were aligned sort movie's. Very special to me.

However as someone who considers themselves to be pretty well balanced and versed in film, I know I'm in a minority when placing it higher than Alien, which is fine.

I recently re-watched Alien (on the amazing Anthology Blu Ray set) for the first time in probably a decade or more; I plan to do so with Aliens too, then I will vote in the poll. Both films are great in so different ways.

Haven't decided yet if I'll watch the Theatrical Cut or the Special Edition for Aliens (For Alien I watched the Theatrical Cut). Which version do people here generally prefer? I always loved the SE, but I haven't seen the TC in so long I might just watch that....

Have seen both films many, many times - two of the top films in their respective genres. And that's where my problem with this question lies - which is better out of two films that belong to different genres. Tough call, really tough, and it's one of those where my opinion might change next week - but for the time being I'm going with "Alien". For the record - the original cut too.

Personally, I watched the Special Edition. I don't even remember the TC.

I remember greatly enjoying all the additional scenes - especially the automatic guns, Hudson's extra machismo dialogue before the descent, Hicks and Ripley's little exchange before she goes back for Newt, and additional backstory about Ripley's daughter (makes her wanting to save Newt so badly more poignant). As a kid I don't think I minded the extra scenes of Newt on the planet before the marines get there, but I dunno if as an adult I will be a fan of them revealing the aliens that early in the film.

Are there any particular additions you find especially egregious? What additions do you actually not mind / hate the least?

Having watched both films for the first time quite recently, I've got to go with Alien. The fact that there is a lack of answers is the film's greatest strength. The mysterious atmosphere is what I loved so much about the film. While watching the film, you know nothing about the alien. It's constantly changing and you have no clue what will happen next and that keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's a brilliantly conceived film.

Aliens is a great movie too. But you mentioned some great points BloodBoal that made the sequel inferior to original in my opinion. The first one leaves the audience in awe with this mysterious creature. But the 2nd one has a whole army of aliens (not to mention a queen alien too!!!) and that really cheapened the impact that the original Alien had on me. The crew of the Nostromos were no match for this beast, and yet here in the sequel we find out they aren't so hard to kill after all, as long as you have cool guns! And the Marines were frustrating to me in most of their shallow, stereotypically cliched character types. And there's that one scene that really irked me. When the girl (Newt) sees the facehugger on her dad for the first time, she does one of those big cliched screams as the camera pans into both her face and the facehugger. It really took away the brilliant mystique of its appearance in the original. Where this film succeeds is ultimately in its 2nd half, because once the action starts, there is no stopping! Its a thrilling ride from there and highly enjoyable (especially with the improved movements of the aliens, as you mentioned). And another thing I really liked about this film is the direction they took with Ripley's character with, really impressive stuff. Theres a lot to like in this movie.

In the end, both movies are great! But I've got to say that Alien wins for me.

I think Cameron was very wise to cut the scenes with Newt and her father from the theatrical cut. Honestly, its kind of surprising they were even conceived and filmed

Are there any particular additions you find especially egregious? What additions do you actually not mind / hate the least?

I wish I knew how to use the search engine as well as BoodBoal!

I wish I knew how to use the search engine as well as BoodBoal!

Are you talking about these posts or are their more?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17981&st=680#entry769271

So my question remains - you seem to only hate the early reveal of Newt and live on LV426. Are there any additional scenes you DO like?

The sentry scene is a perfectly good addition, but the film already manages more than enough tension without it. The idea of Ripley having a child who died an old lady is certainly a deep theme and a superb extra layer to the character, but again I just feel it adds bloat to a movie which already had very generous exposition provided by the previous film.

Those two standout as being worthwhile, but to me they simply aren't necessary. The Newt intro on the other hand I simply do not like at all. It's damages the mystery of the unfolding events in the same way Isulder being shown vanishing when slipping on the Ring in the EE prologue ruined the "surprise" at Bilbo's birthday party.

Those are my 2 favorite additional scenes too. Maybe I will watch the SE but hit the skip button on the LV426 scenes.

For The Abyss and Terminator 2 I prefer the SE versions as well. Haven't seen the Avatar SE yet.

Alien is great, but... Aliens is my favorite film of all time, and for good reason. It's the far superior film.

Though, neither lives up to Alien: Resurrection.

wow, what an original thread. Its a wonder no one ever thought to do this before....

I still prefer Aliens. I love Alien but I love Aliens just a bit more. I love the rich characters in Aliens. Sigourney Weaver's performance is one of the great female performances of all time.

both films make a great 1, 2 afternoon. I prefer the directors cut on both. For Alien I love the Dallas, Brett sequence at the end. It adds a bit more humanity to the film. And I really love the added scenes on LV-426 in Aliens!

both films are among the best use of blu ray with the Alien Anthology my favorite set on blu

Did you guys know they actually corrected some mistakes in Aliens for the Blu Ray?

http://www.movie-cen...t.php?ID=294598

I remember always noticing the scratches on the window before she actually started hitting it with the chair. Never noticed the swapped gun shots or the hole in the ground under Bishop before though.

I actually don't mind these kinds of fixes at all.

I prefer Horner's score to Goldsmiths too. Love um both though.

Hmm, you have a point. Maybe that's what Alien is lacking.

hmmm.....something smells fishy....

Alien is great, but... Aliens is my favorite film of all time, and for good reason. It's the far superior film.

I felt that way with Alien. Both are still great movies though.

Did you guys know they actually corrected some mistakes in Aliens for the Blu Ray?

http://www.movie-cen...t.php?ID=294598

I remember always noticing the scratches on the window before she actually started hitting it with the chair. Never noticed the swapped gun shots or the hole in the ground under Bishop before though.

I actually don't mind these kinds of fixes at all.

By golly!

When watched the BR, even though I didn't want to, I couldn't help thinking about this, but I didn't see it; I didn't scrutinize the picture because i really didn't want to be taken out of the movie, so I was happy not to notice it.

That's why I didn't!

That's a great thing they did.

Meh, this is one of the easiest poll to vote. Alien.

We just recently watched Aliens with mrs, It supposed to be decent flick in both's book.

We ended up with laughter and rolled eyes; this film is bad in all parts, full of cliche characters, stupid adoration of the military,

dialogue with stupid one-liners etc...

Well it's Cameron, mediocre movie maker(no personal touch what so ever) but brilliant money collector.

Alien is still very enjoyable albeit the first time was the best. Brilliant.

Some of the great movies need multiple views to be grand. Not this one.

Nice poll, but HARD to pick one over the other.

Deep down, I know it's gotta be Aliens. It just ticks all the boxes. It was so important to me growing up, it was a faboy's dream. And endlessly quotable too (at least amongst my friends) - "Ok people let's move it, assholes and elbows!" etc.

Brilliant how we always got that impression of hordes of aliens in the complex, yet actually never see more than about 6 onscreen at once. Nowadays we'd see swarms of CGI xenos swarming all over the shop... meh.

Wow! Had no idea. Like you I remember the scratches but nothing else.

Wow, I really expected this poll to go the other way. From my experience most people prefer the action-packed Aliens to its darker, more terrifying predecessor. I'm really glad to see the original getting props in this poll. Both films are great, but the original is truly the stuff of nightmares. A complete absence of shouty and whiny marines in the original is also a plus.

Wow, I really expected this poll to go the other way. From my experience most people prefer the action-packed Aliens to its darker, more terrifying predecessor. I'm really glad to see the original getting props in this poll. Both films are great, but the original is truly the stuff of nightmares. A complete absence of shouty and whiny marines in the original is also a plus.

:thumbup:

A complete absence of shouty and whiny marines in the original is also a plus.

But surely Veronica Cartwright in the first film out-whines all...

Back on topic: I love both movies; Cameron's may win by a little bit just because it's the easier one to go to for a moment of fun; you may even simply go to a sequence; Alien demands more attention. This doesn't make one better than the other; the slight advantage is just due to a practical possibility the excellent sequel has.

oblien0001a.gif

At least she's not shouting unbelievably cliched lines with overbearing overtones of military patriotism. At least Veronica's fear seemed genuine. I'm pretty sure real marines are nowhere near as dumb as those in Aliens.

Again, I really liked both films, but Aliens its short-comings.

At least she's not shouting unbelievably cliched lines with overbearing overtones of military patriotism. At least Veronica's fear seemed genuine. I'm pretty sure real marines are nowhere near as dumb as those in Aliens.

Again, I really liked both films, but Aliens its short-comings.

Kids today...

Do you know why those lines are cliché twenty seven years later? Because every movie after Aliens copied and lifted from it WHOLESALE.

I never was like that when I was younger - thinking originality started the same year I was born and not a moment sooner.

Still, I'm pretty sure those marines would have annoyed the hell out of me even if I watched it upon its release. They're very loud, very whiny and incredibly stupid. Their lines don't need to be cliche for the characters to be irritating.

Still, I'm pretty sure those marines would have annoyed the hell out of me even if I watched it upon its release. They're very loud, very whiny and incredibly stupid. Their lines don't need to be cliche for the characters to be irritating.

I must admit it is rather cute though that the satirical wit of the script and the whole Vietnam allegory thing clearly went straight over your head. To be expected I suppose. Not really your fault.

It seems you did indeed sit there and absorb the dialogue quite literally at face value.

I must admit it is rather cute though that the satirical wit of the script and the whole Vietnam allegory thing clearly went straight over your head. To be expected I suppose. Not really your fault.

I suppose it did. I've only watched both these films for the first time like 2 weeks ago, so I guess I'm not in the best position to judge.

Please, don't take my word for it. Google the Aliens script for yourself - I suspect it'd be fairly easy to find out just how revered it is. It's widely regarded as one of the greatest sci-fi screenplays ever.