JWFAN Members Top 10 John Williams scores lists

JoeinAR

I listen to the Lost World and I think Earthquake, an underrated score if there is one, and Lost World simply works on so many levels, without the jazzy sounds John used prior.

I hope someone re-releases it soon, because I've never heard it.

Karol

First attempt:

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Jurassic Park

3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

4. E.T., the Extraterrestrial

5. Jaws

6. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

7. The Lost World

8. Empire of the Sun

9. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

10. A.I., Artificial Intelligence.

I feel terrible anyway I attempt to make this list. I'm betraying my values. I'll go cry somewhere.

2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

3. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

4. Jaws

5. The Lost World

6. Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

7. Jurassic Park

8. Far And Away

9. SpaceCamp

10. War Of The Worlds

2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

3. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

4. Jaws

5. The Lost World

6. Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

7. Jurassic Park

8. Far And Away

9. SpaceCamp

10. War Of The Worlds

Yeah!!

And I need to listen to SpaceCamp.

I feel terrible anyway I attempt to make this list. I'm betraying my values. I'll go cry somewhere.

I hate making lists.

I hate making lists.

Could you list the reasons why you hate making lists?

you're such a tease, I logged on and thought oohhh blood finally posted a list,

Uni's New Year Resolution #64:

Give Lost World and Prisoner of Azkaban another try.

Two favourites of mine. When it came out in '97, I considered Lost World the best score of all time. I wouldn't go that far nowadays, but it's still a bloody good score.

I am asking each member to post a list of their top 10 John Williams scores. From now until January of 2013 I hope to collect as many members lists as possible. Last time I garnered 129 lists. I would like to surpass that. This gives members a five month window to decide their top 10 list, or modify it.

OP: not sure, but I assume this has been brought to your attention. the site dedicated to rating albums and soundtracks www.rateyourmusic.com could be a good source for these statistics

From menu bar > charts > film score:

1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

2. Star Wars

3. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

4. Raiders of the Lost Ark

5. Schindler's List

6. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

7. Jaws

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

9. E.T. The Extra-Terrestial

10. Superman: The Movie

I apologize if this is aside from the point of the thread.

OP: not sure, but I assume this has been brought to your attention. the site dedicated to rating albums and soundtracks www.rateyourmusic.com could be a good source for these statistics

From menu bar > charts > film score:

1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

2. Star Wars

3. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

4. Raiders of the Lost Ark

5. Schindler's List

6. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

7. Jaws

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

9. E.T. The Extra-Terrestial

I apologize if this is aside from the point of the thread.

Very interesting. These ten scores are exactly in my top 10, but the order is a bit different:

01. Return of the Jedi

02. Star Wars

03. The Empire Strikes Back

04. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

05. Jaws

06. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

07. Raiders of the Lost Ark

08. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

09. Schindler's List

Well, because it is the best Star Wars score of all, imo.

It has the best archievement in variation of themes, sometimes I call it "fondling of themes". It is the same way as Wagner did for his ring cycle and comes close to his best work Walküre in regards of composition. The complete score flows like a through-composed opera from Wagner, with improved classical ideas of Richard Strauss. Also, it is not too fanfare oriented like the two other ones. The Theme of Emperor gives you a kind of religious feeling to it. Hell, even classical music fans love this score!

The complete score to the Empire Strikes Back has some minor issues regarding too much Imperal March theme here and there, without any variation in instrumentation. The brute and strong orchestra brightness in some passages are too much. Also very string oriented, especially in the cello section. There is a slogan: "Less is sometimes more."

The original score to Star Wars feels like an classical composition, almost like an opera, but it has not such a development of themes. Okay, that's understandable, because it is the first score. The temp-track factor is not annoying, but better without it.

BTW, I compare Return of the Jedi as heard in the Special Edition, i.e. with the beautiful Victory Celebration. The Ewok Celebration is corny, chessy and simply embarrassing. Ben Burtt influnence in this piece (I watched a making of Return of the Jedi, so I can confirm this).

Victory Celebration is not influenced by any person but Williams himself and it shows a real ending of the Star Wars saga. Also I like it, when this piece ends with a short break before the End Credits started. I do not like the fusion on Ewok Celebration with the End Credits, where the chorus "touched" the End Credits music. I hope my explanation is understandable.

I think there are two things I was happy about the Special Editions from Lucas. First, they released the complete Star Wars scores and second, Williams composed Victory Celebration and included in the RCA Speical Edition releases.

So difficult... and from about 4 on down, constantly changing.

1. E.T., The Extra-Terrestrial

2. Jurassic Park

3. Hook

4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

5. Raiders of the Lost Ark

6. Star Wars

7. Superman: The Movie

8. War Horse

9. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

10. Schindler's List

I know, pretty predictable and standard... perhaps except for the order. However, in the case where multiple movies from the same franchise were scored, I decided to pick only my favorite one, instead of including more than one.

The original score to Star Wars feels like an classical composition, almost like an opera, but it has not such a development of themes. Okay, that's understandable, because it is the first score. The temp-track factor is not annoying, but better without it.

Exactly!

So difficult... and from about 4 on down, constantly changing.

However, in the case where multiple movies from the same franchise were scored, I decided to pick only my favorite one, instead of including more than one.

You should change it again since it sounds like you left out Indy, SW, or HP scores that should have made your list.

Everyone, our lists should be the 10 John Williams scores that we enjoy the most --- period.... not 'The Only 10 John Williams Scores For The Rest of Our Lives' or the 'The 10 John Williams Scores to Recommend to a Film Score/Music Aficionado'. Think about it... our lists would be different if we consider any other factors than which of his scores are our favorites. Make any last minute list changes now!

I'm very interested to see the overall results.

Now, choosing our '10 Favorite John Williams Tracks' would be challenging, to say the least. Why don't we compile that list sometime this year?

Now, choosing the 'Top 10 Favorite John Williams Tracks' would be challenging, to say the least. Why don't we compile that list sometime this year?

Make it 20. Limiting it to ten would mentally herniate too many of us. . . .

- Uni

You should change it again since it sounds like you left out Indy, SW, or HP scores that should have made your list.

Righto...

1. E.T., The Extra-Terrestrial

2. Jurassic Park

3. Hook

4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

5. Raiders of the Lost Ark

6. Star Wars

7. Superman: The Movie

8. The Empire Strikes Back

9. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

10. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Now, choosing our '10 Favorite John Williams Tracks' would be challenging, to say the least. Why don't we compile that list sometime this year?

That would be fun... Somehow, it almost seems that the tracks might be from scores other than our Top 10 favorites....

That would be fun... Somehow, it almost seems that the tracks might be from scores other than our Top 10 favorites....

Funny—that would be my assumption as well. I think we all have scores in mind that don't quite live up to T-10 quality as a whole, but that feature a single piece of music that almost puts the entire work over the top all by itself.

There would be a lot more room for variety, too. You know the final list tabulated here will be mostly comprised of scores from John's "Golden Age" ('75 thru '84). But a Favorite Pieces list would cover the gamut of his career. I imagine we'd see at least ten times the number of entries compared to this list. Tabulation would be interesting, too, though a little less indicative—because of the potentially vast array of choices. A piece could make the top of the list with a lot fewer votes.

I think we're gonna hafta do this thing. We'll probably need to give people a little longer to compile their lists, since they're having to weigh so many more possibilities, but curiosity's already beginning to swell to the point of inevitability. . . .

- Uni

Good points. Compiling a 'Favorite 20 John Pieces' list would be a much more difficult endeavour, to say the least.

What selections would be 'allowed'... cues as they are recorded, the tracks as they appear on his albums, or possibly a combination of both? And what of concert and special occasions pieces? Many possibilities, indeed.

Funny—that would be my assumption as well. I think we all have scores in mind that don't quite live up to T-10 quality as a whole, but that feature a single piece of music that almost puts the entire work over the top all by itself.

This is exactly how I feel about both Superman and Chamber of Secrets. Both have pieces that are among my all time favorites, but looking at the entirety of the score I had to leave them out of my top ten. For me, Hook is a great example of the opposite effect - there's no single theme that I enjoy as much as the best from Superman or CoS, but I can listen to the expanded score from start to finish and never get tired of it.

I have now printed off a list of all the submitted top 10 lists. I've tried my best to eliminate all the duplicates.

several of you put your lists in no particular order which will be order in the particular fashion you used. some of you put 10 to 1 which is okay. One particular member tried to sneak in 11, busted. ;)

I will continue to accept lists for the next few days as I start tabulating each score.

I am both happy and sad to state we received 76 lists to this point.

I have not paid much attention to the actual lists, but I suspect some of John's greats will not receive the appreciation they deserve but I suspect that the overall number of films listed will be high.

A very heart felt thanks to those that participated. I will have the results in time for John's birthday.

As long as either Jaws or E.T. is at number 1

isn't going to happen.

better late than never! right now it looks like this:

1. heart.gif The Terminal heart.gif

2. Home Alone

3. HP - Prisoner of Azkaban

4. E.T.

5. War Horse

6. HP - Sorcerer's Stone

7. Empire of the Sun

8. Hook

9. Angela's Ashes

10. Star Wars

thanks Alice but I'm locking them in today, no more changes. New lists fine, but I'm already tabulating. nice list.

no your list counts, I'm just saying no more alterations to list already posted. It's easy to add late lists, but it's hard to change lists I've already put into my little spreadsheet.

01. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

02. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

03. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

04. Return of the Jedi (1983)

05. Superman - The Movie (1978)

06. Far and Away (1992)

07. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

08. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)

09. The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

10. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

wave.gif

thanks Ricard,

Alice and Ricard in one day, it's like aces coming up.

better late than never! right now it looks like this:

1. heart.gif The Terminal heart.gif

2. Home Alone

3. HP - Prisoner of Azkaban

4. E.T.

5. War Horse

6. HP - Sorcerer's Stone

7. Empire of the Sun

8. Hook

9. Angela's Ashes

10. Star Wars

Wow. This has to be one of the most unique lists I've seen yet. Very interesting. . . .

- Uni

Damn, I was going to change mine.

you're list was more than satisfactory.

1. ESB
  2. SW
  3. Superman
  4. CE3K
  5. Raiders
  6. Jaws
  7. Jedi
  8. 7YIT
  9. HP03
  10. JP

Honorable mention: The Patriot; Home Alone; Dracula

CE3K/Raiders/Jaws are pretty interchangeable for me with regards to preference, they're essentially a tie. But that's how I feel about them today.

Oh, I can also put a list here:

01. Jaws

02. Jurassic Park

03. E.T.

04. Raiders of the Lost Ark

05. Memoirs of a Geisha

06. Return of the Jedi

07. The Empire strikes back

08. Star Wars

09. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

10. Close Encounters of the third kind