Star Trek Beyond (2016 Justin Lin) - The Big Bad Star Trek (X)III Thread

BLUMENKOHL

I think the only Star Trek "clothing" I own is a TNG/Voyager era pin and a shirt with the TOS style title.  I do have a phaser though. 

My cousin's family has a Galileo Christmas tree ornament that I greatly covet.  It features a recording of Spock wishing us all happy holidays. 

8382615073_34ef715034_b.jpg

I've never felt the need to buy "merch" for creative properties I'm a fan of.  I literally never owned a single Star Wars toy/lunchbox/pen/whatever despite being obsessed with the movies and several EU novels/videogames as a kid.

29 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

I own more Trek merch than I care to admit. 

But if someone wants me to qualify that statement, I won't him haw around. 

What?  How can you possibly say I himmed and hawwed?  I answer your question hours ago now, and within the very first post in which I finally understood what I thought it was you wanted me to say.

Unless you are still looking for something else from me that you haven't made clear enough for me to understand?

What is your issue with me today?  

I dunno.

Posts that weren't worded in a way I could understand them followed up by lack of definitive responsives that could have quickly cleared it up, leading to lots of guesswork.

I just wanted to read someone's explanation for what I perceived to be a bullshit opinion. If I'd have known it would prove so difficult, I wouldn't have bothered. 

What I think is not relevant. You needed me to ask three times before you could explain why you had your opinion. You were so flabbergasted that I could possibly disagree with your hip cliche opinion that you couldn't depend it. Or defend it. 

Oh wait I did call your opinion bullshit. 

Star Trek ID is two hours of great standalone Star Trek story elements selected at random that somebody threw at a wall, saw which ones stuck, and then called it a movie.

But I have no major problems with Star Trek 09. Nero is a bit of an idiot but that's it. 

Star Trek Beyond is a love letter to the franchise and does more to promote rewatches of Star Trek Enterprise than anything. 

I trolled you all day long, but Steef should be happy because you both padded your post counts gloriously. 

You worded your posts in a confusing way that didn't make it clear what I was asking, and when I asked to clarify I didn't get it.  And you started off by asking me how I was "qualified" to have the opinion I had, and never bothered to explain what you meant by that.  Also, you thought accused me of "quoting review taglines" even though I've never read a single STB review.  You basically attacked me for unknown and confusing reasons.  I didn't offend you prior to this afternoon that I am aware of?

I didn't ask if you were qualified to give an opinion. Everyone is qualified to have an opinion. I asked if you could qualify your opinion. Fancy word for explain. Just like quantify is a fancy word for count. 

qualify

[kwol-uh-fahy] 

verb (used with object), qualified,qualifying.
to provide with proper or necessary skills,knowledge, credentials, etc.; makecompetent:
to qualify oneself for a job.

Unless I used the word incorrectly. It could happen. 

Stefan liked it.

Have you seen the extended cut of that yet?  It's superior to the theatrical cut

4 hours ago, WojinPA said:

I didn't ask if you were qualified to give an opinion. Everyone is qualified to have an opinion. I asked if you could qualify your opinion. Fancy word for explain. Just like quantify is a fancy word for count. 

qualify

[kwol-uh-fahy] 

verb (used with object), qualified,qualifying.
to provide with proper or necessary skills,knowledge, credentials, etc.; makecompetent:
to qualify oneself for a job.

Unless I used the word incorrectly. It could happen. 

I think you mean CLARIFY.

5 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Should I see it?

It's the only Star Trek movie I haven't seen theatrically in my lifetime, a tradition that goes back to Generations, my most anticipated movie ever.

I think you should.  My brother Mike didn't like Star Trek Into Darkness but he definitely liked Star Trek Beyond and he too thought it was the best of the three reboots.

It's seriously got the TOS feel to it's fun from beginning to end.  This is coming from someone who is a Trekkie and liked Star Trek 2009 but only liked PARTS of Into Darkness.  It's worth going to see.  

Just a word of caution...if you're sensitive to motion sickness (like I am) don't see it in 3D.  My brother and I had a hard time sitting through the standard version with how many pans and such the camera did ...basically got dizzy and a bit nauseous from it.  Don't think I would have handled it in 3D at all.

3 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

Let's agree to disagree. 

4 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Stop it. Seriously, this is just obnoxious to read through.

And ridiculous. And pointless. And not funny.

Indeed Pieter!

4 hours ago, Trent B said:

It's seriously got the TOS feel to it's [sic] fun from beginning to end.

So would that be the Day of the Dove and City on the Edge of Forever feel? Or the Spock's Brain and Turnabout Intruder feel?

• 2 weeks later...

It's shame. Really liked the film. But then, as Stefan and others often say, it belongs on a small screen anyway. Looking forward to the new series.

Karol

I think it's more a failure of marketing than anything else. Whoever works at Paramount's marketing department, they need to be sacked. Paramount could have learned from how Star Wars have been doing their marketing for both The Force Awakens and Rogue One. Instead, we barely get anything until a month or so from release, then we get a bunch of TV spots, one of which ruins a twist at the later stages of the film to the point where anybody watching the trailers can guess where it's going to go. And next-to-no tie-in media like a novelization or a prequel comic like the last two had.

5 hours ago, Gistech said:

I think it's more a failure of marketing than anything else. Whoever works at Paramount's marketing department, they need to be sacked.

Well, one of the executives in their licensing department committed suicide yesterday, will that satisfy your sacking requirement? 

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/david-thornton-dead-paramount-suicide-1201836700/

I still haven't seen it.

I'll try to be a bit more open-minded when I criticize the film's marketing, because I obviously can't criticize the film itself yet. I saw the trailers. Aside from a ridiculous scene where Kirk is riding a motorcycle like Evel Knievel, there was really nothing in those trailers that didn't appear to be the same old shit. It actually appeared to be a step down from the previous ones. There was nothing compelling. Maybe they needed to go in a radically different direction, and I'm not just talking about having them be on a planet. It kinda reminded me of Insurrection, which had awful trailers. The marketing for the previous movies was incredible, but look what they had to work with. The first TNG movie, Picard meeting Kirk, a zombie action movie in space after what turned out to be a bloated TV movie. The third one comes along and they just show the crew on a planet with a bunch of chintzy crap. That was basically this one!

This movie in no way deserves to flop.

It was not perfect, but it was a massive step in the right direction compared to that utterly pointless Into Darkness that preceded it.

I never understand what makes movies successful or not, but it is definitely not their actual quality.

For example, John Carter was a bit strange, but Batman v Superman was so much worse.

15 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I never understand what makes movies successful or not, but it is definitely not their actual quality.

For example, John Carter was a bit strange, but Batman v Superman was so much worse.

I think it helped that Batman v Superman was about the insanely popular and relevant characters Batman and Superman, and not an adaptation of a pre-WWI adventure sci-fi novel.

(This is not a judgment on the quality of either film, just why made at boatload of money and one did not)

I just saw the movie.  My two biggest plot related issues are as follows: one) where did the 1000s of pilots come from for the enemy bees, and two) how would camouflaging the old ship do anything?  If anything, it would have told the bad guys exactly where she was (since it was their ship). 

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

how would camouflaging the old ship do anything?  If anything, it would have told the bad guys exactly where she was (since it was their ship). 

I didn't really understand that either

Pretty sure the main bad guy is supposed to have lost interest in his crashed Warp 4 ship, which he considers derelict or lost, since the native technology gives him the massive drone fleet. That's why he doesn't observe the girl fixing it over time. 

On 15-8-2016 at 8:21 PM, Disco Stu said:

I think it helped that Batman v Superman was about the insanely popular and relevant characters Batman and Superman, and not an adaptation of a pre-WWI adventure sci-fi novel.

(This is not a judgment on the quality of either film, just why made at boatload of money and one did not)

Very true. I suppose my point is mainly that the success of a film does not seem to be at all proportional to its quality.

Generally terrible films make good money while better films flop.

It is more marketing than anything else.

This is probably exactly the reason for all the remakes and sequels (marketing is so much easier when the brand recognition is already there).

And quite possibly "the suits" have also noticed that the return on their investments has little to do with the quality of the films.

That probably explains why certain movies have scripts that really have some hugely glaring logic flaws.

Shame, really. But that's the truth of it.

At least I think "the Disney suits" have been doing reasonably well.

Their live action remakes are better than I'd have expected (The Jungle Book was awesome) and the Marvel films aren't too shabby either.

Plus as much as TFA was very predictable, it was at least well put together and kept the truly stupid to a minimum.

Actually, this makes Star Trek flopping even more of a shame.

Into Darkness was truly not very good, even from a script point of view, and I honestly don't understand why, of all the stories they could put in a Star Trek sequel, they went with that one.

Beyond really IS a proper sequel though. Not at all prefect (I can think of numerous criticisms), but far better than what came before.

I'm glad the next film has already been announced. Hopefully it'll be better still.

I fear though that Beyond flopping may cause "the suits" to take some terrible decisions again.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Pixar seems to be the only studio that Disney lets make original films and even they're making more and more sequels now than they ever did before.  Gotta play it safe these days.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Pixar seems to be the only studio that Disney lets make original films and even they're making more and more sequels now than they ever did before.  Gotta play it safe these days.

Funny you should mention that seeing as Toy Story 4 is the last sequel Pixar will be making for quite a few years. They are going back to new films (so no Inside Out 2)

I'm sure many Star Trek fans boycotted Beyond out of anger and resentment over the new fan film rules. 

But not enough to deprive it of tens of $M in revenue. 

16 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Funny you should mention that seeing as Toy Story 4 is the last sequel Pixar will be making for quite a few years. They are going back to new films (so no Inside Out 2)

Capture.PNG