London or Los Angeles for Star Wars VII score? [UPDATE: It's Los Angeles]

lostinspace

Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?

• John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • Another conductor will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra during their tour of the US
    • John Williams will conduct a Los Angeles based orchestra

(does anyone know what the cue is at 0:38?)

It's a very short snippet of the material in the AOTC finale that Williams ended up replacing with the Imperial march. Sadly, that's the only bit of that passage that's ever surfaced. =(

It's a very short snippet of the material in the AOTC finale that Williams ended up replacing with the Imperial march. Sadly, that's the only bit of that passage that's ever surfaced. =(

That's right. What you hear is the tail-end of that passage, where it lands on C, which was to be the dominant of Fm for the following statement of Across the Stars.

What's the bit immediately after? Sounds like it's from TPM.

That's right. What you hear is the tail-end of that passage, where it lands on C, which was to be the dominant of Fm for the following statement of Across the Stars.

What's the bit immediately after? Sounds like it's from TPM.

No wonder it doesn't sound familiar, it isn't in the movies nor OST's. Well, hopefully we get a complete release some day. I think the excerpt right after is from Revenge of the Sith while all the fights are going on.

Nodding of what?

Dozing, falling asleep, taking a nap.

TGP was mocking you because you made a typo.

Thats his problem. Not mine.

Isn't it rather petty, pointing out spelling errors from someone who isn't a native speaker?

That's what you get for accusing me of doing that when I never had! Now I will!

The bit after part of the unused 7M3 FINALE cue is part of 5M6 THE CONVEYOR BELT, which can be found in the Target bonus track on the OST.

@ 2m17s:

Good catch. I need to revisit this one since I blocked it out of my memory due to the film being so bad m'lady.

Nodding of what?

Dozing, falling asleep, taking a nap.

TGP was mocking you because you made a typo.

Thats his problem. Not mine.

Isn't it rather petty, pointing out spelling errors from someone who isn't a native speaker?

No, it's not, why would you possibly think it's pretty?

• 5 months later...

While i am not remotely equipped to have an informed opinion on the matter i don't find the STAR WARS recordings (new or old) any more outstanding as ensemble job than stuff done in LA. The only thing i would agree about is that a certain lovely patina can be found in the playing / recording of the trumpet section of, say, the SUPERMAN march that indeed sounds different than later recordings (even by the LSO himself).

But all those things aside, i find it hard to believe that a lot of people here (anyone?) would be able to point out which orchestra is playing just by ear.

I've watched the second teaser for The Force Awakens in the theater numerous times, and I agree with you. I really can't 'hear' the difference -- the L.A. musicians sound just as good as the LSO.

People going to see TFA won't care where the score was recorded.

I think some people are wearing rose-colored glasses. The LSO is a good orchestra, but it's not like they're the best orchestra in existence; they're not some untouchable machine. Many orchestras, groups, or session musicians are just as capable of achieving terrific results.

It's not an unfair comparison to make with Indiana Jones.

I challenge anyone here to call the KOTCS rendition of The Raiders March better than the LSO's. It's awful.

That's hitting below the belt. Everything associated with KOTCS sucked.

It's not an unfair comparison to make with Indiana Jones.

I challenge anyone here to call the KOTCS rendition of The Raiders March better than the LSO's. It's awful.

That's hitting below the belt. Everything associated with KOTCS sucked.

Intangibly lifeless, sonically flat and dull are good ways to describe the overall texture of KOTCS's score. The writing itself is actually, for the most part, vintage Williams.

The performance though leaves much to be desired. For whatever reason, very little of the energetic writing in the score came through in the recording.

We'll see how it goes when it comes out, but so far Williams seems more personally invested and excited for the new SW film, moreso than he was for KOTCS.

And I imagine KOTCS was tracked to hell with previous music, so that must have been a let-down as well.

But the TOD rendition of the march (along with the rest of the score) sounds at least as good as Raiders. The problem with KOTCS was not the orchestra but the (lack of) inspiration. The whole project was forced and contrived and it shows all the way through.

But the TOD rendition of the march (along with the rest of the score) sounds at least as good as Raiders. The problem with KOTCS was not the orchestra but the (lack of) inspiration. The whole project was forced and contrived and it shows all the way through.

Indeed.

Are we really going to get into another LSO vs. HSS debate?

What orchestra do you think is going to perform Episode VIII?

1) John Williams conducting his own compositions with the London Symphony Orchestra in London

2) John Williams conducting Michael Giacchino's compositions with the Hollywood Studio Symphony in London

3) John Williams conducting Howard Shores's compositions, ghostwritten by Conrad Pope, with the London Symphony Orchestra in Kentucky

4) Hans Zimmer, Lorde, Sia, Jay Z, and Lana Del Rey performing the entire score in a drum circle, remixed by Junkie XL

Got nothing to do with versatility when your trumpet section sounds flat as a spiked tire.

I agree with Ricard's sentiment. There's such an overwhelming stench of "going through the motions" with KOTCS and it seemed to infect every crew member and, seemingly, every musician.

It would be an interesting comparison to hear the same written score as performed by the LSO in 1980.

I agree with Ricard's sentiment. There's such an overwhelming stench of "going through the motions" with KOTCS and it seemed to infect every crew member and, seemingly, every musician.

Yeah, I like to think that's why KOTC's score is so underwhelming. It seems as if everybody involved with the film treated as a light-hearted weekend excursion. I wouldn't be surprised if Williams wore his pajamas to the recording sessions.

Pretty sure Williams has said in many interviews that he sleeps in the nude.

So do I!

Great minds think alike?

I was under the impression Williams doesn't sleep. He's far too busy writing themes for every concept Spielberg has for a film over the next two decades.

He may or may not be doing so under extreme duress. I'm sensing nipple clamps.