Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/star-wars-rogue-one-be-801322

6K cameras at that!

I think they're largely why I like the look of the film so much. 

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Actually Rogue One was shot digitally, unlike Episodes VII and VIII, which were on 35mm.

Is VIII using 35mm or a larger format? 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

VIII was for sure shot on 35mm for principal photography.  The rumor however is that IX will be on 65mm film:

‘Star Wars: Episode 9’ Will Be Shot On 65mm Film

I was sure I read VIII was using a mixture of 35mm and a larger stock but maybe I got that completely wrong!

Just now, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I was sure I read VIII was using a mixture of 35mm and a larger stock but maybe I got that completely wrong!

That still might be true!  All we know for sure is that the principal photography phase that wrapped up earlier this year in England was using 35mm.

19 hours ago, Will said:

I tried that out on my Google Cardboard this afternoon. It's a pretty crappy VR set up -- I usually see double and the resolution is horrendous -- but it was still a really cool little video. Cardboard has really shown me the potential VR has and I'm really excited for its future. Far cooler than 3D or IMAX (or at least it has the potential to be that way on higher-end sets, I presume). 

On a somewhat related note, has anyone had a better experience with Cardboard than I have?

I'm wondering whether the problem is the size of the phone I'm using (Moto X), the processing power of the phone, the headset (D-Scope Pro self-assembly version), or something else. Or maybe everyone with Cardboard has this problem. After all, it's dirt cheap. 

Does the Google cardboard even work with vertically placed 3D like that youtube video? The headset I have only displays horizontal 3d correctly.

Anyone of these VR headsets that you have to slot a phone into are gonna be a compromise at best. 

First of all the image will never fill the full field of vision. The average smartphone doesn't have the screen resolution for it (my iPhone 6 is about 720, but you basically gotta devide that by 2 since you use both halves of the screen for a separate image. So with the magnification of the headset lenses you can see pixels. 

But you are right, they do show the glimpse of what is already possible with dedicated headsets, and in a few years time I'm sure the results will be stunning 

12 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

That's really cool... and in puts on the table that we need a new X-Wing game soon...

There already is one, or will be very soon. But not for Cardboard. December 6 release for PlayStation VR:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/17/star-wars-battlefront-rogue-one-dlc-pack-vr-mission-release-date-announced

1 minute ago, petaQ said:

I thought that was dandruff. 

But whose dandruff, that is the question.

I've seen so many spots the last few days that I don't even bother posting them here. None of them sound like Gia. Lots of Force theme. One has a cool X-wing barrel roll.

"Engage fans" = make enough hundreds of millions to justify the expense

If not, on we go to the Chewbacca spin-off, the Greedo spin-off, Little Ewok on the Prairie, the BB-8 Pixar adventure, etc.

39 minutes ago, mstrox said:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/22/rogue-one-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-movies

EW - Rogue One and planning beyond Episode IX

(also of note: Han Solo anthology was not one of Lucas' ideas)

What the...

An extremely reliable source has said it was GL's idea. I'll find the specific tweet later. 

Disappointing if what EW says is true.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

yes.

He's referring to Andrea Datzman, Djiatchino's wife (and co-worker, too).

I was worried the conversation had dipped so far that people were now talking about Djiatchino's penis. I had hoped I was wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I have no idea what this means.

13 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

me neither....is that some king of innuendo?

Wow really?

His dick.  It means his dick.

13 minutes ago, Will said:

What the...

An extremely reliable source has said it was GL's idea. I'll find the specific tweet later. 

Disappointing if what EW says is true.

Who cares if a Han Solo spinoff was George's idea or not?  What difference does it make?

Literally any character could be spun off as the star of their own movie, and probably everyone has been discussed by someone.   Specifically in regards to Han Solo, 3 books have already been written about his early adventures.  What's the big deal?

I wasn't sure at all what LeBlanc's joke meant at first either... 

It's actually BloodBoal's Richard comment that's really humorous, though. 

:lol:

18 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

He's referring to Andrea Datzman, Djiatchino's wife (and co-worker, too).

Girlfriend.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Who cares if a Han Solo spinoff was George's idea or not?  What difference does it make?

@BloodBoal

Because everything that comes from George feels more "official"! And I like to hear that they're keeping his ideas around. 

Sure, it's pretty irrational, but that's how I work! :P It's like how I've always wanted to know whether the TFA teaser 2 music was JW.  

Oh, here's the tweet(s) I mentioned earlier. It's from Lucasfilm Creative Executive Pablo Hidalgo, from March 2016: