The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

On 4/29/2019 at 11:20 PM, JoeinAR said:

What? WHAT?

How can you not? I know I know millennials gen x and gen z don't appreciate the cinematic experience but jezzus no one here can replicate the big screen experience no matter how pathetically agoraphobic they are.

Three times is pushing it for me, the last film I saw that many times was The Force Awakens because of circumstances involving family and friends (and it was an enjoyable film) - but by the third screening I almost wanted to drift off and sleep - the only thing keeping me conscious was the score and Daisy Ridley.

My butt was hurting by the end of Endgame.  No thanks I'll wait for blu ray when I can watch in chunks.  The movie would work well as three one hour-ish episodes I think.

Spoiler

Episode 1: We're all very sad

Episode 2: Time heist!

Episode 3: Battle!

Right.

The first hour is a kind of dour drama; the second hour is a kind of time-travel comedy heist film, and I believe the third hour was supposed to be an action film.

His vagina is loose. I had no problem with the time. It went swiftly. 

If went by so much faster than the two hours of that shit fest ROMA. Oh god that movie was tedious. 

Now I'm not really much of a comic book kind of guy. In fact I kind of struggle through them and I'm usually overwhelmed by the sheer volume of content available.

That said, what are the most accessible and exciting Marvel trade paperbacks for a layman like me?

The only Marvel comic I've ever read was a Howard the Duck compilation and that was pretty rad.

Whatever you do, avoid big Events, especially modern ones, like the plague.  They are sometimes exciting but never accessible. 

A safe bet would be to find some character that you're interested in and get a trade of the first storyline from the most recent reboot of their run - Black Panther #1, Captain America #1, what have you.

I've been out of superhero comics for a while - got pretty frustrated with the big events, and every individual-story comic leading into the big event, so you need to buy 90 comics that aren't on your pull list to follow a story.  But about 8-10 years ago, as far as Marvel went, I really liked Ultimate Spider-man.  I liked Alias (adapted to TV as Jessica Jones).

More recently, I just kind of peck around at stuff that interests me.  Miss Marvel and Squirrel Girl are both generally good and fun and easy to pick up.  I liked Black Widow (2010), especially the first storyline.    Older stuff isn't usually my bag - stylistic differences - but I did pick up The Infinity Gauntlet TPB and am midway through - enjoying it.  Back when even the events were largely self-contained.  I don't know who half the characters are, but it doesn't really matter.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Whatever you do, avoid big Events, especially modern ones, like the plague.  They are sometimes exciting but never accessible. 

You mean like Civil War and Infinity War? Ha, those were the first ones I was about to grab.

Civil War TPBs 1 and 2 kind of hang together on their own, but know this:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/thanosrules/lists/civil-war-trade-paperback-reading-list/34426/

That's the whole story, divided over 20-something TPBs as well as a handful of individual issues.

I was really into comics for a few years, and then just got demoralized.  I stick to Star Wars now, mainly because it's compartmentalized - they only have 3-4 ongoing books at a time, so the crossovers and events are usually manageable.

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I was really into comics for a few years, and then just got demoralized.  I stick to Star Wars now, mainly because it's compartmentalized - they only have 3-4 ongoing books at a time, so the crossovers and events are usually manageable.

You reading the current Age of Rebellion mini-series?

I am - although I've only read Leia and Tarkin at this point.  I have three weeks' of my pull list sitting waiting for me for Free Comic Book Day visit tomorrow.  Age of Republic was really excellent, and continues the trend of all the canon stuff surrounding the prequel movies being good!

My pull is "All Star Wars - Marvel and IDW."  The all-ages books from IDW are good fun, including the Halloween series from last year that they're doing a sequel to this fall.  Sometimes I throw on a non-Star-Wars mini that intrigues me, or grab some new #1s to try out.  I also read Lumberjanes digitally, and used to be regular with Simpsons Comics until Bongo blacklisted Amazon (and therefore Kindle).

30 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I am - although I've only read Leia and Tarkin at this point.  I have three weeks' of my pull list sitting waiting for me for Free Comic Book Day visit tomorrow.  Age of Republic was really excellent, and continues the trend of all the canon stuff surrounding the prequel movies being good!

My pull is "All Star Wars - Marvel and IDW."  The all-ages books from IDW are good fun, including the Halloween series from last year that they're doing a sequel to this fall.  Sometimes I throw on a non-Star-Wars mini that intrigues me, or grab some new #1s to try out.  I also read Lumberjanes digitally, and used to be regular with Simpsons Comics until Bongo blacklisted Amazon (and therefore Kindle).

I've said only recently that I don't enjoy reading comics, but it's hard to resist an image like this!

500?cb=20190415215248

2 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Yeah, it's hard to resist a Yoda with Biggs and the robot that scared the shit out of me in Shadows of the Empire video game. What a random cover.

They're three different shorter stories in one comic.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I hope the IG-88 story is just about him wordlessly hunting Dash Rendar in a junkyard with a flamethrower

I can hear that dumb noise Dash made when he got hurt in my head now

Could be, I heard somewhere the reason this one is still Phase 3 is it's dealing with the impact of the events of Endgame instead of moving forward into the new phase.

1 minute ago, Fabulin said:

What do you have against these Spidey movies? The first one was so likeable

I like Homecoming. Its funny.

But there comes a point where enough is enough. 48 hours (!) of MCU is plenty enough for me.

I like that MJ is a) smart enough to suss out that Peter is Spider-man, and b) that they're just throwing that in the advertising.

I don't remember a lot of Homecoming.  I'll have to give that a watch before the new one

5 hours ago, Holko said:

the reason this one is still Phase 3 is it's dealing with the impact of the events of Endgame instead of moving forward into the new phase.

Well if Mysterio is truthful, a multiverse is a ready-made backdoor for introducing mutants into the MCU neatly. 

Outside of Jackman and Stewart (who are both retired from their roles officially, right?) are there any Fox era castings that people are really tied to?  Are there people who'll get really upset if they replace Ellen Page or Nicholas Hoult?

Cue petitions for Alan Cummings' Nightcrawler now that makeup/prosthetics surely evolved a lot!

1 minute ago, John said:

I really like McAvoy as Xavier.

Maybe they could bring just him over from an alternate dimension, and he can use his cerebro powers to find all the mutants already living in hiding in the MCU version of Earth!

With all these damned mutants none of them had the power to heal.

Anyone else think it's weird Disney has slotted an MCU movie for May 2020, but hasn't announced what it is yet?

I mean, shouldn't that movie be practically done shooting by now and entering post-production, not still in pre-production?

Feige's still in secrecy mode til after Spider-Man: Far From Home.

I'm guessing there's going to be a post-credits surprise with that movie.