Confirmation that DRACULA is coming from Varese??

thx99

Agreed. It might work as a kickstarter fundraiser, but it's better to set a few precedents first.

There is this misguided idea amongst some fans like Thor that re-recording a score like Moonraker, which has a potential bigger audience automatically means a that smaller, niche doesn't get financed.

Often it takes the money made from successful, big titles like Conan, Moonraker etc to make recordings and releases of scores that will not be massive sellers possible. And Fitzpatrick has certainly shown that he is willing to invest in re-recordings of more obscure works like Mr. Moses or The Salamander.

But should they re-record the entire Dracula score, or only the material that was selected for the original album, seeing as how that is the only music we should ever have been permitted to hear outside of the film because it allows such a fantastic listening experience?

Obviously the entire score should be re-recorded.

Question for Thor.

If Tadlow was ever to do a re-recording of Story Of A Woman, should they just record the highlights, arranged in a best listening experience, or the entire score as written for the film?

Did Story of a Woman ever get a soundtrack release? If not, who's going to ask JW what the highlights are? Because anybody else's selected highlights would just be a guess, and nobody should have that kind of responsibility, it's too hard.

Obviously the entire score should be re-recorded.

Question for Thor.

If Tadlow was ever to do a re-recording of Story Of A Woman, should they just record the highlights, arranged in a best listening experience, or the entire score as written for the film?

They should re-record the entire score, but microedit and arrange it on the CD.

James just replied:

This "good source" now says they might have been mistaken ... and that still only Mono elements have been found..... apologies for getting people excited ... but that i s why I decided against re-recording Dracula...now "who knows"

Recording sessions you will commence. Your destiny it is. Record you John Williams's Dracula will James Fitzpatrick. Record or record not. There is no try.

01.jpg

For the last few days I've been singing, "Dracula is coming! Dracula is coming!" to the tune of "Holidays are coming" from the Coca Cola Christmas ads and now I've got to stop. It's not fair!

:sadwavey:

Only to be let down yet again!

JWFan is as depressing as the view from my bedroom.

10924696_10203121631711315_6219737081725

Oh, I love this kind of weather. Rainy, misty, bare trees... It's so cinematic..

(on the contrary I don't like sunny! :P )

I am crestfallen. I hate re-recordings. No way to capture that vintage LSO sound under Williams' baton. A re-recording would just be a reminder of what could've been.

Grrr..

I am crestfallen. I hate re-recordings. No way to capture that vintage LSO sound under Williams' baton. A re-recording would just be a reminder of what could've been.

Grrr..

Do you love original mono recordings more? I would not say no to such a release but a good stereo re-recording would be very welcome.

Being a negative and pessimistic piss-ass is very very English actually. Ask Lee!

Having tea right now.

You're supposed to love cloudy and rainy weather and grim days!

Grrr..

Do you love original mono recordings more? I would not say no to such a release but a good stereo re-recording would be very welcome.

I would take the mono recordings over a re-recording, yes. I'd get the re-recording if nothing else was available, but there's magic in that original magnetic tape.

Bullshit

There are good re-recordings and bad ones. To state outright that you hate all re-recordings is nonsensical.

OK...

There are good video games and bad video games. To state outright that you hate all video games is nonsensical.

Let hedji have his own harmless opinion.

I am trying to think of a re recording I liked better than the original.

Still thinking.

Well, I guess the Bride of Frankenstein one is pretty good. Goldsmith's own Patton album rerecording is better than the film version.

Film music is peculiar in this sense, as the "definitive" performance is usually the one made for the film, even when it contains flubs and errors and when it's not necessarily the most "musical" performance in terms of interpretation. For example, Bernard Herrmann hated to conduct in sync with the picture, as he felt it robbed the music from a more organic ebb and flow (that's why he slowed down the pace in several of his own re-recordings).

Anyway, in the case of Dracula, I too think it's downright impossible to recapture the power and lush romanticism of the original LSO recording conducted by JW.

Anyway, as I said in the other thread, don't get your hopes too high about a Dracula re-recording in the near future. It won't be an easy feat to pull off.