RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Star Wars Saga (Unused Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

3 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

The Last Jedi.

Luke's Noble End.

In total, JW wrote 6 versions of this scene, although only the third version shows significant changes. I made a separate video for each version.

1. 9m85 Finale Part I (original fragment) (~November-early December 2016) 
The early version, although it contains two renditions of the Force theme (the standard 'TLJish' first, and pretty unusual second), is based on the original lyrical/melancholic material. This version is shorter than the later ones, and since the timings are also unknown, I improvised with which shots to cut and which tempos to choose. I also slowed down the shot with Rey, since it was clearly shortened afterwards.

Probably, the microbit of this version (in particular, the last note of the horns) can be heard in the film mix during the crossfade right before the march (but not in the OST). 

2. 9m85 Alt Insert (same time)
Along with the original version, JW wrote a little "alternate" insert with Luke's theme. 

3. 9m85A Luke Looks (~March 2017)
The scene was expanded: Leia's reaction was added, as well as a few more shots of Luke. It's now another version of Binary Sunset, along with an accentuated moment of Luke's "disappearance". 

This insert can be heard in one of the official videos, and I tried to adjust the timings to match JW's conducting.

4. 9m85B Between Luke and the March (~May 2017)
Two months later, JW rewrites the end of the scene, where he uses the end of the theme from Holdo's Resolve instead of the brass chorale. It seems the composer wanted a smoother transition to the march. 

5. 9m85C Island to March (~June 2017)
Another month later, JW rewrites this part again, as the "disappearance" moment has been extended. This version is already close to the final one.

6. 9m85AN Rey Looks (~June 2017)
A few days later, JW rewrites the entire insert again, as another shot with Rey has been added. The composer also made other corrections: the transition to the Force theme is smoother, and the "disappearance" is now accompanied only by a quiet harp (without the cymbal and tam-tam). 

These are awesome! These kinds of videos put smiles on my face. I await the say someone does these with TROS.

44 minutes ago, Holko said:

I love the version with Luke's Theme.

The idea is good, but to me, this insert feels like "music goes a cert[Luke's theme]ain way". 

It would be interesting to see how JW could develop the idea of the first versions for extended cut. But something "bigger" for that character was needed. 

2 hours ago, Courtney said:

These are awesome! These kinds of videos put smiles on my face. I await the say someone does these with TROS.

@ragoz350 has actually done at least a couple for TROS already, like these:

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ragoz350 said:

7m67B Rey Gets The Saber (no later than November 2)
Later, JW worked two more times on the moment, which ended up being accompanied by A Home Destroyed from ANH. This insert adds another rendition of Rey's theme before the duel begins.

If this version of Rey’s theme seems oddly familiar, that’s because it was tracked into TROS (when Rey is on the Star Destroyer, just before Kylo shows up in his TIE Fighter).

Big thanks to @Falstaft for catching that!

Amazing, @ragoz350!  I cannot wait to watch these hopefully tonight.  The original Rey vs Ben is one of the most interesting cues to me, I love the bits that remained in the final cut covering the "evacuation" scenes

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Amazing, @ragoz350!  I cannot wait to watch these hopefully tonight.  The original Rey vs Ben is one of the most interesting cues to me, I love the bits that remained in the final cut covering the "evacuation" scenes

In the original version, I really like the fragment after the dialog when Rey begin attacks Ren. Gradual build up of clusters, then a big "fall" of horns. And how the major chord of the Force theme synchronizes with Ren's "last" fall... The new version here sounds more restrained and "heroic".

Well he could actually be but I'm sure MM would need a lot of time to complete them giving all the mess this is. Plus I'm not sure Disney want to let people know how much they butchered the movies

Disruption of flow is indeed a main problem of revisions, though sometimes the new material is more interesting than the old. Even here, without revisions, we would get a cue 7m68 containing not big (and rather abruptly interrupted) rendition of the Force theme with trumpet's decorations that sounds less "climactic" than in the extended form of 7m68A. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask how much material there would be if all of the Sequel Scores had the Mike Matessino treatment. Would it be like 3 discs per movie or something? I'm 54 in a couple of months time and I don't think there will be such a future release in my lifetime. Maybe by 2027 though which is 50 years I guess. Christ what a thought... 

• 4 months later...
On 01/01/2022 at 9:43 AM, ragoz350 said:

The beginning of the cue was obviously temp-tracked by Padme's Ruminations from Ep. III that JW almost repeated (by removing the synth and adding string clusters). I "restored" this part very conventionally :) Honestly, I have no idea what was supposed to happen here - the slo-mo footage was already in the teaser, but there may have been more.

https://thedirect.com/article/star-wars-kylo-ren-episode-9-deleted-storyline

I just found this, I imagine it provides some idea of what the original scene was like