E.T. holds how many "place" in your CD collection?

Bespin

E.T. holds how many "place" in your CD collection?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. E.T. holds how many place in your CD collection?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

We've all been on the edge of our seats waiting for your thoughts on the La La Land Close Encounters album program.

Ha, ha....yeah, I hardly ever click on 'expanded release' threads anymore unless they're about general thoughts on the issue.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha....yeah, I hardly ever click on 'expanded release' threads anymore unless they're about general thoughts on the issue.

But this is a composer-intended album program that he just didn't get to produce back in '77!  It's a release made for you!

Williams always wanted CE3K to be released as a double-LP.  The final LP we got was a compromise.  Disc 1 of the new LLL set is neither chronological nor complete and is the closest we'll ever get to hearing his intended OST program he wanted us to hear.

You should separate out the last few posts into a new thread called "Can JWFan Get Thor to Buy the LLL Close Encounters Set?  Let's Try!"

He won't listen to it, though. He'll just say it's part of the packaging. 

You should separate out the last few posts into a new thread called "Can JWFan Get Thor to Buy the LLL Close Encounters Set?  Let's Try!"

He has to do it. His principles force him to do it. He repeatedly stated that he prefers OSTs, because it is the artists concept of the music, made for a perfect listening experience. The 40-minute album, however, is not what the artist wanted, but what the producers wanted.

There's no way out, Thor. You know it, I know it, Disco Stu knows it - we all know it!

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, if I receive a digital promo of this at some point, I might give it a spin. Just for laughs and giggles.

You have become much more enamoured with yourself and your own parochial system of belief than sincerely interested and engaged in the object of your passion. You surely must have such a very high opinion of yourself.

3 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

You have become much more enamoured with yourself and your own parochial system of belief than sincerely interested and engaged in the object of your passion. You surely must have such a very high opinion of yourself.

A completist may frantically collect every complete item of his favourite composer. But Thor is not really less frantic when trying to stick to his ideals. Having ideals (like "just OSTs" or "just complete scores") is generally dubious. It's about enjoying the music.

Thor sticks to the OST because he don't buy CDs. He's used to receive free offered promo albums, because of his job (I think, he's a kind of a critic on its pack ice, no?)

There is two possibilities : you stop now to talk about Thor in all the threads related to expansions or... we could create a foundation to come to help to a poor critic and ex-footballer in the need.  With this foundation, we could be able to send him all the available JW's expansions.

Donate generously.

I’ll gladly stop to talk about his narrow minded views here or any other topic. He lost any credibility or authority he still might have, in my views. It’s now pretty clear that he’s not truly into Williams’ music, but it’s more interested in talking about himself and his criteria for this or that.

5 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I’ll gladly stop to talk about his narrow minded views here or any other topic. He lost any credibility or authority he still might have, in my views. It’s now pretty clear that he’s not truly into Williams’ music, but it’s more interested in talking about himself and his criteria for this or that.

You talk about me again?!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Williams always wanted CE3K to be released as a double-LP.  The final LP we got was a compromise.

Does the booklet go into detail about how much work Williams put into the double LP version, how far along that planned version made it and why it was scrapped?

4 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Thank you, Mr. Psycho Analyst. I really don't give a flying fuck what you or anyone else think. You concern yourself with your listening behaviour, and I concern myself with mine. Go back to your 65 E.T. albums.

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Thank you, Mr. Psycho Analyst. I really don't give a flying fuck what you or anyone else think. You concern yourself with your listening behaviour, and I concern myself with mine. Go back to your 65 E.T. albums.

Language Thor!

But arent you a little bit curious to hear an aborted version of the CE3K album?

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Language Thor!

Sorry, but such a random offensive remark requires nothing less. And from TownerFan, of all people, who I've always respected.

But arent you a little bit curious to hear an aborted version of the CE3K album?

Not really, when the existing OST is perfect. But as I said, I'll hopefully receive a digital promo of this soon (we tend to get some LLL releases near the end of the year for our consideration). I'll sample it then.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Well, you sorta provoked it with your rather disrespectful "laughs and giggles" comment.

Why would that be provocative?

Sorry Thor, but I found that specific remark equally offensive and off-putting because, despite your well-known criteria about these things, I thought you were open to consider changing your habits just for one time, considering the scenario. But you shut the door even before opening it, so I drew my considerations about your general attitude. And I'm seriously convinced now that you care much more about your views and your various criteria than the music itself. This topic is another example. We start talking about the music and we end up talking about yourself.

It's a basic aphorism for doing something "because one has nothing better to do" or "for no good reason":

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/for+kicks+and+for+laughs%3B+for+giggles

I don't see how that should in any way warrant an offense from you basically stating I'm an egotist who has no interest in John Williams.

47 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Sorry Thor, but I found that specific remark equally offensive and off-putting because, despite your well-known criteria about these things, I thought you were open to consider changing your habits just for one time, considering the scenario. But you shut the door even before opening it, so I drew my considerations about your general attitude. And I'm seriously convinced now that you care much more about your views and your various criteria than the music itself. This topic is another example. We start talking about the music and we end up talking about yourself.

But here you are talking about yourself talking about Thor talking about himself.

On 11/26/2017 at 1:56 AM, Bespin said:

Monsignor, I'm working on it.

Heartbeeps, as the "official" discographist of John Williams (on this forum at least), I will say "I work on it too".  :sarcasm:

I was surprised to find Heartbeeps on Spotify:

20 hours ago, Thor said:

The original soundtrack release of CE3K was the most disappointing presentation by JW I've ever heard, and because of that I've never even considered buying it. However, I know the material is great, and the 1998 release was quite good. In the new release I love the idea of a looong "suite" prepared by JW himself, without odd edits, and that's why I'll order it.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The original soundtrack release of CE3K was the most disappointing presentation by JW I've ever heard, and because of that I've never even considered buying it. However, I know the material is great, and the 1998 release was quite good.

I forgive you for this erroneous opinion, but only because you're Norwegian! ;)

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

In the new release I love the idea of a looong "suite" prepared by JW himself, without odd edits, and that's why I'll order it.

True, that's one intriguing aspect of it, although there are already several CE3K concert suites out there.

But the new set is NOT the program Williams would have released in the 70s, and was NOT newly compiled by Williams himself, but by Mike... even if Mike certainly put great care into it, and even if Williams approved the result. Right?

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

I forgive you for this erroneous opinion, but only because you're Norwegian! ;)

Erroneous opinion, haha! Don't put a friendly smiley at the end of your text as justification for basically saying "fuck you and your opinion"!

I know the OST and it is rather bad - no wonder, because it's not John Williams' shit. But why should Jurassic Shark and me know better? We're just trying to rate score representations according to their listening experience quality, but you're... wait a minute... you don't rate anything at all... you say "the OST is perfect" and that's it!

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Erroneous opinion, haha! Don't put a friendly smiley at the end of your text as justification for basically saying "fuck you and your opinion"!

Let's not get too serious - I believe his remark was just meant as a joke. I certainly take no offense.

8 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

But the new set is NOT the program Williams would have released in the 70s, and was NOT newly compiled by Williams himself, but by Mike... even if Mike certainly put great care into it, and even if Williams approved the result. Right?

From what I've read on this forum it seems pretty close to JW's original intentions.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Let's not get too serious - I believe his remark was just meant as a joke. I certainly take no offense.

Indeed. If the smiley didn't give it away, I don't know what will.

He, he...

Of course, in general I want to inform everyone that my opinion is always correct, and everyone else's is always wrong. Unless they coincide with mine. These are the facts of life.

36 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Williams' Double-LP would have had sections edited out of cues like he always likes to do.  The cues on disc 1 here don't have sections taken out.  Also the tracks were in a slightly different order, partially to conform to four 20-minute LP sides.

So, its an approximation of the 2LP, not a note for note re-creation of it.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Williams' Double-LP would have had sections edited out of cues like he always likes to do.  The cues on disc 1 here don't have sections taken out.  Also the tracks were in a slightly different order, partially to conform to four 20-minute LP sides.

So, its an approximation of the 2LP, not a note for note re-creation of it.

It would be would be interesting to hear it as JW initially intended it, with sections edited out, as that probably gives more flow to the music. Will you post a guide to make our own 2LP edits?