Star Wars Disenchantment

John

No, there are 48 Terminator films and a staggering 64 Resident Evil installments. You've missed more than you know and this doesn't take into account James Cameron's plans to make a new quadrilogy of Terminator, Alien and Avatar films (on top of the four planned right now).

Episode 9 will be the #1 movie for at least a few weeks after its release. I'll be shocked if it isn't. I don't know any fans that aren't going to go see it. Many will go numerous times. 

Even the people claiming they're going to boycott it will go, just like those fools who bought the DVD or Blu-ray just because they needed to complete a collection!

4 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I still saw The Last Rian Johnson One, in its final week at the theater. I barely remember it.

Your love of the Halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind.

http_%2F%2Fi.huffpost.com%2Fgen%2F3060334%2Fimages%2Fn-CHRISTOPHER-LEE-628x314.jpg

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

No, there are 48 Terminator films and a staggering 64 Resident Evil installments. You've missed more than you know and this doesn't take into account James Cameron's plans to make a new quadrilogy of Terminator, Alien and Avatar films (on top of the four planned right now).

The next game should be called Resident Evil 64!

20 hours ago, Demodex said:

Did you care that the prequels were being bashed?  Why or why not?

Yes, I cared. It was reassuring to know that others (the general public, fans, critics) recognized what I did: awkward screenplays/line delivery, overbearing special effects, Jar Jar, young Anakin's casting, etc. This was the general consensus of the films. 'Bashing' them was commonplace.

I still don't believe that TLJ was ill-intended. That makes no sense. 

Rian Johnson made the film knowing that it would divide the fans. He admitted that subverting expectations was his goal... and dismisses all criticism of the film. Detractors get blocked, ignored, or name-called.

Those movies making money and Episode 9 being successful are not mutually exclusive. Episode 9 will still make a shit load of money. 

And if not, then as long as it's good then who cares?  Why do you care how much money Disney makes?

Define "Episode 9 being successful".

Disney will care if it doesn't "make a shit load of money"... and, as any business should, will take appropriate action moving forward.

At this point, I don't think it being "good" to some will matter. I'd say about half of the people that won't be going to see it are doing so on principle... to send a message to Disney that they don't like what's happening with the franchise.

No you don't. You've been saying the same shit for 68 pages. 

I'll eventually get bored with this. I'm pretty close now. 

I have much more to say. Stay tuned.

20 hours ago, Arpy said:

@Mattris I don't think anyone here or elsewhere thinks the filmmakers calling out 'manbabies' or 'assholes' is beneath them. In many instances, including a few of the comments you've supplied from other sites seem to fit those descriptors with flying colors. After firing Gunn, firing that writer whoever he was, distancing themselves from what they perceive are elememts detrimental to their business's image, do you think Disney would've done something to silence Johnson for him arguing with fans? No, probably not and that's because most of the time these 'assholes' and 'manbabies' are not worth their time.

You are wrong about that. The fans don't appreciate be generalized, name-called, accused (racist, sexist, trolls, toxic "threatened by strong women"), or dehumanized (Russian bots*). Word of their unprofessional language gets around. And for many, this will be a reason to boycott all Star Wars content. At the very least, it's a contributing factor.

Does anyone think an apology will ever be issued? Will "they perceive [these] elements detrimental to their business's image"... or actually take action to correct them? If not... For many, Episode 9 will not be "worth their time."

Business 101: Don't insult your customers.

* Rian Johnson said the researchers finding were "consistent with my experience online" that up to 50% of the online disapproval of TLJ originated from Russian bots.

20 hours ago, Arpy said:

I expect Episode 9 to make healthy box-office returns, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the films Jay listed would surpass it. I don't think anyone said it was going to be #1...

With the biggest fanbase in the world of any IP, Star Wars films should always be vying for the #1 spot.

20 hours ago, Arpy said:

Even the people claiming they're going to boycott it will go, just like those fools who bought the DVD or Blu-ray just because they needed to complete a collection!

We'll see. I've heard many instances of people that say they will not buy TLJ for their "collection". Same goes for other Star Wars merchandise. Think of all that lost potential revenue! Disney needs to wake up. But they may not until Episode 9 doesn't even cross the $1B mark.

TFA's financial success won't be topped by any Star Wars film to come, at least not for a while @Mattris Episode 9 will be successful, but how long it will hold at #1 will be greatly diminished.

Disney are in a good position now, they're one of the most powerful companies in the world, with IPs to spare to exploit in the future.

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

Yes, I cared. It was reassuring to know that others (the general public, fans, critics) recognized what I did: awkward screenplays/line delivery, overbearing special effects, Jar Jar, young Anakin's casting, etc. This was the general consensus of the films. 'Bashing' them was commonplace.

So right now isn't the first time the films have been divisive. So quit using that as a reason there's something wrong with the Disney films. 

Rian Johnson made the film knowing that it would divide the fans. He admitted that subverting expectations was his goal... and dismisses all criticism of the film. Detractors get blocked, ignored, or name-called.

1.  How did he know it would divide the fans?

2. I'm glad he tried to subvert expectations. That's what makes a movie interesting. 

3. It's his movie. He has every right to be proud of it.  Lucas didn't go out if his way to address detractors either. 

Disney will care if it doesn't "make a shit load of money"

But why do you?  If the movie's as good as TFA and TLJ I'll be happy regardless of how much or how little money it makes.

I have much more to say. Stay tuned.

So after 69 pages you finally have something different to say?  I'll believe it when I see it.  This is getting monotonous and I don't even know what the point is anymore. 

The fans don't appreciate be generalized, name-called, accused (racist, sexist, trolls, toxic "threatened by strong women"), or dehumanized (Russian bots*).

If the shoe fits. 

Disney needs to wake up. But they may not until Episode 9 doesn't even cross the $1B mark.

I don't see it not making $1B. It'll be #1 for weeks. 

3 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

The obsession with SW these days is just sickening.

I don't think it's that sickening, or at least people who don't fill their lives with Star Wars do so in another way, with different things. Any huge franchise has a base of devotees who sell their souls away. I think the craziest people are the devotees who endlessly praise and fawn over the British Royal Family...

6 hours ago, Mattris said:

Episode 9 doesn't even cross the $1B mark.

"Its gonna"

5 hours ago, Demodex said:

I'm glad he tried to subvert expectations. That's what makes a movie interesting. 

By itself? No.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Where do you find the "Search Google for image" option? This isn't related to your post at all, just a general inquiry.

On my Android phone in Chrome, I press and hold on the image, then the option you're looking for pops up.

26 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

On my Android phone in Chrome, I press and hold on the image, then the option you're looking for pops up.

Ironically I'm having troubles doing that on my laptop, right now. I might have to revisit this thread next time I'm browsing on my phone, to test the option.

@Norma's Corpse Okay, let's drop the act: what is that GIF from?

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

TFA's financial success won't be topped by any Star Wars film to come, at least not for a while @Mattris Episode 9 will be successful, but how long it will hold at #1 will be greatly diminished.

Disney are in a good position now, they're one of the most powerful companies in the world, with IPs to spare to exploit in the future.

Nothing of what you wrote here matters to me or is relevant to this discussion. Though, it's obvious that Kathleen Kennedy is attempting to 'exploit' Star Wars.

9 hours ago, Demodex said:

So right now isn't the first time the films have been divisive. So quit using that as a reason there's something wrong with the Disney films. 

1.  How did he know it would divide the fans?

2. I'm glad he tried to subvert expectations. That's what makes a movie interesting. 

3. It's his movie. He has every right to be proud of it.  Lucas didn't go out if his way to address detractors either. 

But why do you?  If the movie's as good as TFA and TLJ I'll be happy regardless of how much or how little money it makes.

So after 69 pages you finally have something different to say?  I'll believe it when I see it.  This is getting monotonous and I don't even know what the point is anymore. 

If the shoe fits.

I don't see it not making $1B. It'll be #1 for weeks. 

Really? 'Not being the first time that Star Wars films have been divisive' is not a reason that I can't state the fact that the films are divisive now. But just being divisive this is not "the reason [the fans say] there's something wrong with the Disney films". They are divisive because many fans classify them as pathetic attempts at Star Wars movies: TFA was a rehash of ANH featuring a Mary Sue. Rogue One was just okay... and would not have been nearly as much of a success without the inclusion of Darth Vader. TLJ was a designed to make fans divided and upset. And Solo? Unnecessary and very few people wanted it. So why was the movie made... twice? So many director firings by LFL president Kathleen Kennedy. These things have left an impression on many fans... who feel that films and overall direction of the franchise simply SUCKS. Trust me, the boycott will be in full force come Episode 9.

1.  Luke Skywalker threw his old lightsaber over the cliff (behind his back) without saying a word to his visitor, "the Jedi must end", forced feminism, in-your-face SJW Rose Tico, Canto Bight was a waste of time, Snoke gets killed by Kylo after saying he could "not be betrayed", Rey's character advances little to none... and still no explanation of why the Force 'awakened' in her and why she was Kylo's "equal in the Light", Captain Phasma 'dies' again, the Resistance plan was terrible, Leia Poppins (Force power not addressed in the film), Kylo kept his mask off and still acted like a spoiled brat, no light-saber battle, why did Kylo have trouble with the guardsmen?, Luke died without having left the island.

2. 'Subverting expectations' could have been interesting. Instead, Rian Johnson dropped the ball BIG TIME. He knew what he was doing. To think he didn't would be foolish.

3. It's his movie. He has every right to be proud of it. Is he proud of what it's done to the fandom? Lucas didn't go out if his way to address detractors. But Rian Johnson does: daily on Twitter, saying up to half of the backlash could be Russian trolls. Just pathetic excuses and behavior from a very small person.

If Episode 9 is not as successful as they were expecting, Disney will take appropriate action. From the disenchanted fans perspective, this should result in new leadership and the cancellation of Rian Johnson trilogy. It also will show them that largely dismissing the fan backlash was a huge mistake.

After 69 pages, I don't know why you are still in denial about the reality of the state of Star Wars. But on the surface, you seem to understand as much as Disney. Only you know what you truly think. But actions speak louder than thoughts... and words.

If receiving concerns or complaints about a product or service, any capable business person would tell their customers that they appreciate the customers' business and that you have taken their thoughts and opinions under consideration... and that you can't wait to show them your (or the company's) next product or service. Accusing any of your customers of racism, sexism, and calling them manbabies or trolls is never acceptable - period. But Rian Johnson & Co. haved doubled-down. And after he was fired, Chuck Wendig admitted that LFL "supported" him in his offensive Tweets. This is crazy beyond belief.

Define "Episode 9 being successful". Being #1 per week is irrelevant. It's the overall gross that counts.

5 hours ago, John said:

This is just blatantly untrue. The only people that have been explicitly called out online by Johnson and Lucasfilm staff are those who relentlessly trolled and harassed the cast of TLJ. He made that explicitly clear in this tweet:

twitter rj response.JPG

Please, if I am wrong and RJ or any other Disney employee has called out anyone other than obvious trolls online, give me an example and I'll concede. Until then, I have yet to see RJ act anything less than professional in the way he's responded to the backlash against his film.

Are you serious? His usage of "manbabies" is enough to call him unprofessional. He lowers himself regularly on Twitter... and recently deleted thousands of Tweets "just to be safe" after James Gunn's firing.

That conversation only explains his usage of "troll". FACT: Kelly Marie Tran never confirmed she was "trolled" or "bullied" off of Instagram.

Look up JJ Abrams saying that those disenchanted with the new Star Wars film are "threatened by women". He assumed critical fans are sexist.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

"Its gonna" [make over a $1 billion.]

All that has to happen is a 25% reduction in revenue from TLJ. As of now, I estimate that at least 50% of Star Wars fans will skip it in theaters. So you're counting on the general public to hang in there? Only $1 billion for a Star Wars saga film is embarrassing.

8 minutes ago, Mattris said:

All that has to happen is a 25% reduction in revenue from TLJ. As of now, I estimate that at least 50% of Star Wars fans will skip it in theaters. So you're counting on the general public to hang in there? Only $1 billion for a Star Wars saga film is embarrassing.

WHAT!?!?!?! 50% of Star Wars fans will skip episode 9?!?!

Okay, alright alright, that is absurd and extremely stupid. Oh my God, at least I had a good laugh when I read it out to those around me!

@Mattris EPISODE IX IS GOING TO MAKE C O M F O R T A B L Y OVER A BILLION DOLARS. IT JUST WILL.

It means absolutely nothing as to the merit of the film, though: Bay's Transformers films used to make a billion dollars, and those are bloody awful.

Luke Skywalker threw his old lightsaber over the cliff (behind his back) without saying a word to his visitor, "the Jedi must end", forced feminism, in-your-face SJW Rose Tico, Canto Bight was a waste of time, Snoke gets killed by Kylo after saying he could "not be betrayed", Rey's character advances little to none... and still no explanation of why the Force 'awakened' in her and why she was Kylo's "equal in the Light", Captain Phasma 'dies' again, the Resistance plan was terrible, Leia Poppins (Force power not addressed in the film), Kylo kept his mask off and still acted like a spoiled brat, no light-saber battle, why did Kylo have trouble with the guardsmen?, Luke died without having left the island.

You're right about a lot of those points, I'll give you that.

Luke Skywalker threw his old lightsaber over the cliff (behind his back) without saying a word to his visitor, "the Jedi must end", forced feminism, in-your-face SJW Rose Tico, Canto Bight was a waste of time, Snoke gets killed by Kylo after saying he could "not be betrayed", Rey's character advances little to none... and still no explanation of why the Force 'awakened' in her and why she was Kylo's "equal in the Light", Captain Phasma 'dies' again, the Resistance plan was terrible, Leia Poppins (Force power not addressed in the film), Kylo kept his mask off and still acted like a spoiled brat, no light-saber battle, why did Kylo have trouble with the guardsmen?, Luke died without having left the island.

Troll!

These have been addressed numerous times.

Luke died without having left the island. Hmm, I don't remember feeling an urge to see him die elsewhere if that would even be necessary? 

@Chen G. Which points specifically? They all seem like non-issues.

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

He mocked Mike Zeroh, but if you've seen any of that guys content you'll know it's all clickbait bullshit and nonsensical rubbish. 

Mike Zeroh deserves to be mocked by everybody 

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But why are these bad things? Matriss doesn't like them. But he has yet to explain why they are objectively awful.

I suppose the SJW stuff seems like a statement that "white cis masculine males don't deserve a voice anymore and must be punished for their history of oppression towards women, non-binaries and non-whites".

51 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Troll!

These have been addressed numerous times.

Luke died without having left the island. Hmm, I don't remember feeling an urge to see him die elsewhere if that would even be necessary? 

@Chen G. Which points specifically? They all seem like non-issues.

I don't think a lot of those particular points are trolling in any way.

Luke throwing the saber behind him wasn't a good idea. I don't mind the humor itself, its the bathos I could do without.

"Forced feminism" - one's mileage may vary - I don't mind the undertones, others might and I totally understand that. Same for Rose and her social commentary. Its the sort of thing that doesn't mesh with archetypal stories of this sort.

Canto Bight was a waste of time.

Snoke monologing and bragging about his plans and how he "cannot be betrayed" - terrible; the worst motion-captured Andy Serkis character, ever. Captain Phasma was awful, too. And even though Mattris didn't mention it, I'll also reference General Hux in this regard.

The resistance plan, as Chris Hartwell put it, "only works on a conceptual level, if that", etcetra.

Unlike Mattris I do like the idea that the Jedi must end - but I'm disappointed that Rian didn't pursue it. That would have been much more complex,  as well as truly brave on his part as a storyteller. But no, we got a cop-out, instead.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

WHAT!?!?!?! 50% of Star Wars fans will skip episode 9?!?!

Okay, alright alright, that is absurd and extremely stupid. Oh my God, at least I had a good laugh when I read it out to those around me!

I can't wait until he posts absolutely new ridiculous things.  Stay tuned!

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

They are divisive because many fans classify them as pathetic attempts at Star Wars movies:

The same can be said about the prequels.  It was ok when it was Lucas but not Disney?  Disney's movies are better than the prequels so I don't care that they're divisive.  I want good movies and that's what I got.  You can't please everyone.

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

saying up to half of the backlash could be Russian trolls

I don't think Johnson was the first to establish this.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Kylo kept his mask off and still acted like a spoiled brat, no light-saber battle... Luke died without having left the island.

When did he act like a spoiled brat?

No lightsaber battle is NO BIG DEAL.  I'm glad we didn't get the same tired formula.  The battle with the guards was pretty cool at least.

Who cares where Luke died?  He says he came to that island to die, so it makes sense that's where he died.  Do you understand these movies?