Star Wars Disenchantment

John

6 hours ago, Mattris said:

Kathleen Kennedy has been President of Lucasfilm for 6 years. In that time, with all that has transpired with Star Wars - and the fandom - taken into consideration, do any of you feel she is the right person for the job? If so, why?

Yes.  She produced four films which have been critically well received across the board.  Three of them were the highest grossing films of their respective years.  The fourth (Solo) currently is the 8th highest grossing film of the year domestically, and would have been profitable at its grosses had the budget not ballooned due to extensive reshoots that rivaled the time and money spent on the initial shoots.  She’s made the tough calls regarding reshoots and staffing changes when movies aren’t working.  Other aspects of the franchise (TV, books, comics) have been tremendously profitable and generally critically successful since she took over.

6 hours ago, Mattris said:

@Nick Parker  I understand you were deeply offended by my MLK quote. But your vicious personal insults were way out line. (I see that others agreed.) I explained that I did not intend any comparison between the 'Star Wars Disenchantment Movement' and the Civil Right Movement. It was just a quote that I felt was applicable to this situation. Perhaps it wasn't the best quote I could have found. But you owe me an apology, sir

A few people did agree, yet perhaps you noticed others agreed with me, as well. And just a quick reminder, my anger was directed not just about the Civil Rights Movement. 

Mattris, I've honestly never been in this position before, and this is very hard to say:

What I said was rude, vulgar, explosive, and yes, very vicious. It's something that I almost never do. Deliberate as it was, it's a side I hope to not show on here again, and indeed very seldom in the "real world".

Yet, without any further intended disrespect to you, I can only honestly say that any apology I make for that post would be contrived. 

7 hours ago, Mattris said:

And second, if he has "absolutely Zeroh credibility", why do you watch all of his videos? 

Because they're hilariously inaccurate. I find it both amusing and entertaining.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Yet, without any further intended disrespect to you, I can only honestly say that any apology I make for that post would be contrived. 

One should never apologize if it is insincere. What happened happened, and we should all move on.

7 hours ago, Mattris said:

Kathleen Kennedy has been President of Lucasfilm for 6 years. In that time, with all that has transpired with Star Wars - and the fandom - taken into consideration, do any of you feel she is the right person for the job? If so, why? 

Yes because all of the films and shows have been, in my opinion, great. I have absolutely zero problems with her or her handling of Lucasfilm. The only problems I have are with the alt-right trolls trying to turn Star Wars to shit. There are extremely obvious parallels between the TLJ haters and the average 3-to-5-year-old. They can't get their way, so they whine and scream, and try to manipulate others into giving them what they want.

Just now, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Amazing he could maul the living shit out of the movie

Did he really, though? One of the more disappointing reviews from him, in my mind. At his worst, Mr. Stoklasa can be a right pedantic little bugger--his reviews on the Next Generation movies are hard to watch for this reason. He brought up some very good structural ideas in regards to The Last Jedi, the most substantial criticism the movie warrants from a filmmaking perspective,  but the criticisms he brought up just don't add up to his conclusion, which almost sounded like a joke: that Rian Johnson screwed up in almost every single way.

57 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The only problems I have are with the alt-right trolls trying to turn Star Wars to shit.

I don't think that's the underlying issue for people who have a dislike for The Last Jedi (or its female characters, for that matter).

Heck, I'm a post-nationalistic, post-patriotic person and I have my issues with the film, as well as with Kathleen Kennedy's notions of gender equity.

Frankly, to connect the detractors of this film with radicalists (or really the entire Disney-era of Star Wars), whether they criticise it on grounds of quality or of issues of gender equity, seems to me like an attempt (and not a succesful one) to disprove their criticisms, many of which I find valid to some degree.

That you find the concept of nationality and patriotism - i.e. that you have certain obligations to a certain, large group of individuals and to a certain territory, by virtue of being born into them - to be idiotic. Its an imagined community, and has an inherently racist undertone.

For instance, you never see me review Israeli films here. That's because they're crap, and I don't think that because its "my" country I have to cut them any slack whatsoever.

Its not a leftist point of view, per se. It kind of stands outside of the political right-left conventions. But it sure as hell isn't alt-right. Its what the alt-right accuses the left of being!

So you can be against the most fundemental tenet of alt-right, and still have issues with the idea of gender equality-of-outcome.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That you find the concept of nationality and patriotism - i.e. that you have certain obligations to a certain, large group of individuals and to a certain territory, by virtue of being born into them - to be idiotic. Its an imagined community, and has an inherent racial undertone.

Interesting.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

More like dull and puerile.  The kind of faux-insightful university student philosophizing that's fine when you're 19 and have no actual responsibilities.

'Tis bollocks, but we won't be settling this here, obviously.

The point is that you don't need to belong to the alt-right to be critical of The Last Jedi, or Kennedy's perception of gender equality.

Well I just mean it's interesting, not because I accept your definitions.  I'm not sure I do, and even if i did, I'm not sure those things are necessarily always bad. Indeed, they may be necessary for survival. I certainly wouldn't use the word "idiotic". Nor would I describe such communities as "imagined".

Anyway, I just mean it's interesting because it's not a sentiment I hear very often from your countrymen. But I know little of these matters, and as you suggest, this definitely goes down the road of thread derailment, so I'll leave it at that.

23 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Well I just mean it's interesting, not because I accept your definitions.

I didn't think you did. I just always welcome empathy. When someone reacts to such an unusual political worldview with intrigue rather than disdain (see @Disco Stu's response for the latter), I find that commendable. Surely, you'd recall that I don't "Like" posts necessarily because I agree with them, but because I find them thoughtfull, interesting or empathic - even if they're contradictory of mine.

And yes, you're right - its not a very common or well-recieved sentiment in a part of the world that's still very steeped in a 20th century sense of nationalism, and I don't often make it known in my surroundings.

Now try and wrap your head around why I love Braveheart, a deeply patriotic story, so much. 😉

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

this definitely goes down the road of thread derailment

Pfffttt!

I understand where Chen is coming from. Of course, any kind of extreme nationalism or ethnocentricity or whatever can be, and has been time and time again, dangerous. 

However, to completely eschew the idea of patriotism and community within a pocket of the world we all inhabit, does not inherently make for a more globalistic or healthy place. 

At the risk of being trite--and this is something I've debated more than once with so-called "SJW"s (lord do I hate that phrase)--it is acknowledging, having curiosity towards, and celebrating our differences, not eradicating them, that promote a more multi-cultural society. Something I think we actually do rather well here on JWFan.

Unless you like Michael Giacchino. Then you're scum.

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

When someone reacts to such an unusual political worldview with intrigue rather than disdain (see @Disco Stu's response for the latter), I find that commendable

You're not meaning to suggest he's close-minded on this matter, are you? I was that 19-year old university student once, so I get where's he coming from, too.

10 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Now try and wrap your head around why I love Braveheart, a deeply patriotic story, so much. 😉

Well I thought I knew why you liked it! Clearly I'm going to have to reevaluate that! ;)

7 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

to completely eschew the idea of patriotism and community within a pocket of the world we all inhabit, does not inherently make for a more globalistic or healthy place. 

Also true, which is why its not something I'm advocating as a practice. Its not that I'm rallying for a revolution to be made against nation-states or whatever.

Just don't ask me to recite an anthem or anything like that! That's a religious ceremony if ever there was one, and in the western world we're supposed to be free to not follow those, if we so choose.

We'll leave it at that.

Sometimes.

I really, really laughed when Yoda made fun of the Jedi texts: "Oh...Read them have you?... Page turners, they were not."

Some of the humor I found to be pushing the envelope (especially the bathos sandwiched into the serious moments), and some of it just wasn't funny: e.g. just about everything to do with the Caretakers.

56 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Sometimes.

I really, really laughed when Yoda made fun of the Jedi texts: "Oh...Read them have you?... Page turners, they were not."

Some of the humor I found to be pushing the envelope (especially the bathos sandwiched into the serious moments), and some of it just wasn't funny: e.g. just about everything to do with the Caretakers.

Well I like Plinkett's observation that TLJ was written like a comedy, intentionally or not, by comparing the characters' trail of bad decision making to Clark Griswald. For some reason, I didn't mind this ineptitude from the characters. People in the real world, space fantasy aside, never really do anything right, and when they do, it's rare. One of those little things that touches on the humanity of SW.

I don't necessarily mind that the characters don't achieve anything. What do the detectives in Se7en achieve? Absolutely nothing.

But I do find the comedy, or more specifically the bathos, egregious. I think a lot of people do.

Again, The Force Awakens did it better.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I don't think that's the underlying issue for people who have a dislike for The Last Jedi (or its female characters, for that matter).

That's just it... I'm not saying all people who dislike the film are trolls. Just the crazed ones that are chanting for a boycott, etc. over literally one film.

Some (crazed) people (trolls) are boycotting "over literally one film"? You must be joking! Are you sure about that? What about the Russian bot influence?

I think in the current social and political climate, such a thing is credible. 

There have been ongoing efforts by certain governments to use social media in an attempt to destabilise and influence other societies.

I don't know if thats the case here, but its not outside the realm of possibility.

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

"over literally one film"? You must be joking!

That's simply a fact. I didn't hear a damn thing from these trolls until TLJ came out. Before that everyone was relatively happy. TFA was considered a decent (albeit now the best) film by cynical fans, and Rogue One was considered a good film by most. TLJ literally started all of this. To deny that would be simply idiotic.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I think in the current social and political climate, such a thing is credible. 

There have been ongoing efforts by certain governments to use social media in an attempt to destabilise and influence other societies.

I don't know if thats the case here, but its not outside the realm of possibility.

What exactly do they hope to achieve by making some sci-fi nerds unhappy?

Once you accept that the entertainment industry, Di$ney especially, is America's biggest export good, the angry geeks are just the cherry atop the icing of the cake.

Yeah... Disney being the biggest and most powerful movie studio still seems so weird to me, I need to pinch myself. Back in my time, it was an amicable rivalry between Fox, Universal, Paramount, Columbia and Warner Bros. At the other end, Disney just made all that kids' crap.

These days it's Disney... and everyone else.