SUPERMAN (1978) - Live-to-Projection Concert

SyncMan

• 2 weeks later...
Here are some brief videos from that Pittsburgh concert that are interesting to examine.

In this one, we hear Reeve say the word, 'Lois', where it wasn't heard in the final sound-mix from the theatrical cut. 

This video raises the question I have to those who attended the previous LTP concerts.  
The music heard over this shot...
Temp.png
...is the same as heard in the theatrical cut. (footage in question is all cued-up in the link)

In these very next shots...
Concert shots.png
...there was no music in the final sound-mix of the theatrical cut, however, they are scored in this concert version.  The music used over the above footage for the concert is the final 16 seconds of 'Rescue of Jimmy'-13M4

(audio portion in question is all cued-up in the link)

Now, in the final sound-mix of the theatrical cut, this same portion of the 13M4-cue was used over these shots, just before Superman begins stopping the water flow with mountain boulders.
Superman Shots.jpg
Here is that footage from the theatrical cut here (it is all cued-up in the link)

Now, here is my question .  In the LTP concert version, would this said final portion of 13M4 be played again for the above footage or was a different portion of the score used, or no music at all?

• 3 months later...
On 07/11/2022 at 6:54 AM, SyncMan said:

While your memories of that concert are still fresh, do you remember if there was music over this shot of the exploding Krypton planet?

Temp.jpg

It would be a tympani-roll followed by a one note crash-chord from the entire orchestra. Here's a sample all cued up.

That music would appear on the final 17 seconds of the LLL CD Track, "The Kryptonquake".  That portion of that cue was not used in either the theatrical cut nor the 2000 extended director's cut, but was used in the extended TV cut.

On 07/11/2022 at 9:14 AM, karelm said:

Definitely, a big low brass kaboom that slowly turned in to the voyage cue before the musical kaboom ended. 

We have a video of that.

On 19/02/2024 at 12:51 AM, Tom said:

Does anyone else think that the speakers hanging from the ceiling look like an elephant?  

Are you sure you know what an elephant looks like?

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

BTW, the show is sold-out.

That's too bad. I bet he's going to announce the Complete Star Wars that night!

The Mike M. talk at the Walt Disney Hall is part of the LA Philharmonic's  'Upbeat Live' series.  

mIKE m.png

https://www.laphil.com/learn/engage-with-the-music/upbeat-live

According to that link, that pre-talk event maybe live-streamed/or recorded via Spotify.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who don't know all talks (like this one with MM) are posted on "Upbeat Live", however you need a music provider like Spotify or Apple Music (Podcasts) to listen to them. This one with Mike isn't posted yet, but should be really soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2024 at 4:02 PM, Brando said:

Here is Mikes talk before the concert: 

Sadly it's not available to my region. Can I get a rip or download of this from somewhere?

1 hour ago, Amer said:

Sadly it's not available to my region. Can I get a rip or download of this from somewhere?

If someone else doesn’t do it I can maybe see if I can record it somehow.