The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever see these videos? It's too bad there is SFX in them, but I guess it is the only way to hear the music without some other form of extraction we haven't tried. There are about 13 different videos featuring the music, starting with this one:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have never played any of the Medal of Honor games, but I know their scores have been talked about quite a bit around here. I just heard some of the samples on iTunes and am blown away. Which one would you recommend I start with?

The first one! Start with that, its my favourite. Frontline and Underground comes really close. Start with the first, then get 2 and 3!!!

That stuff is Giacchino in his prime, my favourite scores of his.

Like KK said, listen to them chronologically.

Yup. It gives a great musical progression. You can hear the evolution of Giacchino's sound and style in these scores which of course in part reflects how the games themselves developed in style and mood. The two early scores MOH and MOH Underground have undeniably a brighter sound of adventure movies of old. Frontline adds a brilliant dramatic dimension with extensive choral and soloist writing but retains the entertaining spirit of the predecessors in the action music and Airborne is perhaps the grittiest and most rhythmically oriented of the scores. Allied Assault which came before Frontline (only 15 min. of new music) is close to the sound of the two first scores.

Anyone ever see these videos? It's too bad there is SFX in them, but I guess it is the only way to hear the music without some other form of extraction we haven't tried. There are about 13 different videos featuring the music, starting with this one:

Warpath is fun. There was about 20 minutes of score written for the game... mostly action!

-Erik-

Convince Giacchino to release it ;)

Yeah... I doubt it! I'd rather see Redemption of the Ghost or Semper Fi see the light of day before any of his smaller video game scores.

-Erik-

Couldnt you convince Giacchino to let you share with us warpath? Its an obscure score that will never see the day of light it seems

That would be a great favour for us... :(

Convince Giacchino to release it ;)

Yeah... I doubt it! I'd rather see Redemption of the Ghost or Semper Fi see the light of day before any of his smaller video game scores.

-Erik-

Couldnt you convince Giacchino to let you share with us warpath? Its an obscure score that will never see the day of light it seems

That would be a great favour for us... :(

If Giacchino wants you guys to have it, HE will make it available for the certain price.

-Erik-

• 3 weeks later...

Michael Giachino Responds to Listeners' Questions:

http://www.wqxr.org/#/articles/wqxr-features/2012/jan/13/michael-giacchino-responds-listeners-questions/

Some cool stuff here, JW is mentioned too:

Q. You seem like the natural successor to John Williams. What film composer(s) do you admire the best?

A. That's very kind of you - of course, I love John Williams and hope both he and his music lives forever. I think I would be happy if I could sound like Michael Giacchino and people liked that sound, which is obviously influenced by so many great composers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spotted Mr. Giacchino while I was at work yesterday. The timing and whatnot seemed right, so I offered some quick, polite thanks for all he's done in the world of film music. He was very gracious and personable ("Thanks, man!") and we had a neat little conversation for maybe half a minute. Very cool guy. Always nice to meet someone whose work you respect and find that they're easy to respect as a human being, too. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I keep hoping Brave gets an FYC disc that includes his music for La Luna like with Toy Story 3 / Day & Night.

I keep hoping Brave gets an FYC disc that includes his music for La Luna like with Toy Story 3 / Day & Night.

Cast and crew promo, you mean.

I also hope for that situation :)

La Luna I don't think they made the music avilable. The FYC Site is still up but their is no music uploaded.

http://www.waltdisne...ds.com/la-luna/

And might I add, La Lune was one of their loveliest and most wondrous shorts even though Brave itself wasn't up to scratch.

Cast and crew promo, you mean.

I also hope for that situation :)

Yes, that's what I meant, thanks. :)

I'd rather have the music for One Man Band, his best Pixar short score (in my not so humble opinion).

Agreed!

On an unrelated note, I haven't heard much mention of the fact that Giacchino arranged and composed some music for the new Luigi's Flying Tires attraction at the Disneyland Resort. A lot of it is just arrangements of classic Italian songs, but I realized that one of them is an Italian-ized version of Giacchino's theme from Cars 2! I actually like it a lot better than what you hear in the film, haha. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else kinda bummed that after John Carter (March '12), we don't get another Giacchino score until the Star Trek sequel in May of 2013?

Seems like in the 14 intervening months he could fit a few scores in - perhaps he isn't getting any offers?

I browsed wikipedia and found these films coming out between John Carter and Star Trek (X)II that I think could lead to great Giacchino scores

Total Recall

Dredd

The Cold Light Of Day

Hotel Translyvania

Looper

Red Dawn

Rise of the Guardians

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Last Stand

Elysium

Carrie

Jack The Giant Killer

The Host

etc

Somebody, hire Gia for something between now and then!

Nobody needs 14 months to score a 2 hour film. He could take on one or two other movies and still leave a LOT of time to score Star Trek (X)II

Nobody NEEDS it, but it can sure help. And to be honest, Giacchino's had a ton of work the past few years, I don't want him to burn out like Horner did after doing a zillion projects in the early 80s.

Anyone else kinda bummed that after John Carter (March '12), we don't get another Giacchino score until the Star Trek sequel in May of 2013?

Seems like in the 14 intervening months he could fit a few scores in - perhaps he isn't getting any offers?

I browsed wikipedia and found these films coming out between John Carter and Star Trek (X)II that I think could lead to great Giacchino scores

Total Recall

Dredd

The Cold Light Of Day

Hotel Translyvania

Looper

Red Dawn

Rise of the Guardians

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Last Stand

Elysium

Carrie

Jack The Giant Killer

The Host

etc

Somebody, hire Gia for something between now and then!

i think he maybe taking a sabbatical. he did it in 2009 i think with too many scores in a year.

Giacchino has said multiple times that he now only works with friends and is picky about his projects. So that leaves J.J. Abrams, Brad Bird and Pixar, more or less.

A bad move, in my opinion. I hope he hasn't already hit his peak.

Give him a break. I seem to remember back in 2009 with Star Trek/Lost/Up/ Land Of The Lost/Prep And Landing/3 short films and the Oscars he was planning on taking a break but that didn't exactly happen. ;)

Good points made here. I was thinking he was wanting to work but just not getting offers, but I guess its equally likely he is choosing to take an extended time off before his next big assignment.

Still, as a fan, it'll be a long, hard wait! Maybe we'll get some extended versions of his older scores between now and then :)

My only wish for Giacchino is that he gets rid of his sound engineer.

I can't listen to John Carter for example. The sound is so bad, it sounds like it was recorded 40 years ago with a 40 piece orchestra...