And as joey225 said, snare drum was one of the two most prominent instruments in those days during the Civil War. Thats not something that makes one excited.

;)

What, does a snare drum-heavy score excite you?

I could see this score going one of three ways...

1. Snare drum/fife-heavy score hearkening back to civil war army bands and such.

2. Patriot/JFK/Rosewood-esque.

3. Something like James Horner's Glory.

I'm hoping for #2, but we'll see..

Slate away, but I'm not particularly excited about this.

I'm not going to jump the gun or anything, since we don't know what style or instrumentation it will be, but Williams' low key efforts lately (Minority Report, parts of KotCS, WotW) haven't really done much for me.

I'm sure Williams will love it, and technically it will be exceptional, but emotionally? I'll wait for the sound clips.

What if it's going to be a piano-driven score? I believe it was a popular instrument back then too and Williams might want to write something fresh instead of his typical horn + trumpet Americana.

What if it's going to be a piano-driven score? I believe it was a popular instrument back then too and Williams might want to write something fresh instead of his typical horn + trumpet Americana.

Oh, those fresh piano driven Williams scores... :lol:

I'd like to keep him away from those somber dramas for a while. The musical palette is so predictable, the already mentioned honored colleague from whatever soloistic department included.

In order to stimulate "originality", I would propose a score entirely written for string quartet. Not only would this be interesting for us Williams fans, it would be a serious musical challenge for the composer too.

Alex

Oh, those fresh piano driven Williams scores... :lol:

I'd like to keep him away from those somber dramas for a while. The musical palette is so predictable, the already mentioned honored colleague from whatever soloistic department included.

After 50 years in the business, Williams has become predictable to certain extent (not only in somber dramas, but especially in his adventure scores - vide KotCS). I see no reason, however, to discard his upcoming score when there is not a single note written so far.

In order to stimulate "originality", I would propose a score entirely written for string quartet. Not only would this be interesting for us Williams fans, it would be a serious musical challenge for the composer too.

Alex

:lol: Most of the MB members would say a collective MEH!!! and denounce and forget the project if something like that was announced.

Personally I am very much anticipating the Lincoln score. The historical period and the character offer great musical and dramatic possibilities.

:lol: Most of the MB members would say a collective MEH!!! and denounce and forget the project if something like that was announced.

I know. Most JW fans are, let's say, quite conservative when it comes to film music.

Personally I am very much anticipating the Lincoln score. The historical period and the character offer great musical and dramatic possibilities.

But sadly, it's going to be nothing new under the sun. Most people won't even notice this score when they are going to see this movie. Really, I wonder if I truly need just another JW score. I wish Spielberg and Williams had the balls to take more musical risks.

Alex

Alex

:rolleyes: Most of the MB members would say a collective MEH!!! and denounce and forget the project if something like that was announced.

Count me as one of those 'mehhhh'-ers. Gifts was nice, but got too frenetic for me and isn't something I'd normally listen to.

I'll anticipate it, but I'm reserving any real hype until we hear some sound clips that make us go scavenging for OST leaks :P

On the subject of winning an Oscar, I just like to imagine what I'd be like when they call his name. It would be such a sweet moment. I'd be jumping for joy.

Even if it was for an undeserving score? How fanboyish of you.

Indeed. I'm looking forward to the very real prospect of Thomas Newman getting his first oscar for that song from Wall-E, but if he does, there will always be that nagging thought that it wasn't for his actual scoring talents, but for a song that I don't think is really that great (I'm assuming he won't win for the score).

Alex

I think that would be nice. It is still one of the finest musical groups.

I am done with all these americana horn/trumpet scores(as much I like the brilliant performers).

Please , John , give us something different!

Honestly, I don't even think that SL deserved to win. My vote would have gone to Elfman's The Nightmare Before Christmas.

JP should have been nominated as its a better score than SL.

I agree, but Nightmare was better than both.

The harpsichord was nearly irrelevant then.

irrelevant? It was obsolete.

Piano was big...this is shortly before Stephen Fosters death. They were publishing piano music by the barrelful by now.

If anything, though, JW will probably go with the African American Spiritual sound, I'm thinking. Or the solo violin....

The harpsichord was nearly irrelevant then.

irrelevant? It was obsolete.

Piano was big...this is shortly before Stephen Fosters death. They were publishing piano music by the barrelful by now.

If anything, though, JW will probably go with the African American Spiritual sound, I'm thinking. Or the solo violin....

A solo violin would be very nice to have, in my opinion. If Williams were to do that he probably would offer Perlman the solo. They always collaborate nicely together.

I'd rather have someone else than Perlman. Not that I have something against him, but his play has very distinct sound and I'd like Lincoln score sound differently, unlike SL or Chairman's Waltz.

What's the deal with film music fans and lots of heroic brass and military snares? 9 out of 10 soundtracks are like that. Put on the television and there is that sound again: breaking trombones, enormous taiko hits, piatti slams, rapid tom tom beats ... and all we see is a pedestrian show where a nerd has to choose between two bimbos.

Alex

Solo violin works ;)

I can picture it now... Lincoln's Theme. And Lincoln's Theme Reprise at the end of the album.

The Assassination will be before Lincoln's Theme Reprise :)

What's the deal with film music fans and lots of heroic brass and military snares? 9 out of 10 soundtracks are like that. Put on the television and there is that sound again: breaking trombones, enormous taiko hits, piatti slams, rapid tom tom beats ... and all we see is a pedestrian show where a nerd has to choose between two bimbos.

Alex

That type of show needs that music to pretend that what you are seeing on screen is exciting and dramatic.

A bit like this highly anticipated videogame trailer music. 1:24 secs onwards I mean.

Does a good job at making what will likely be a great game seem very exciting. Check out the Williams style brass and woodwinds ;)

Alex

That type of show needs that music to pretend that what you are seeing on screen is exciting and dramatic.

Yes, but what I mean is that we are literally surrounded by this type of film music. How can anyone still be seduced by it? It's so omnipresent. Overused, really.

Alex

enormous taiko hits

I'm so tired of taiko drums. Just because they exist, doesn't mean they need to be used in every war scene

piatti slams

I had those at an Italian restaurant once. Boy they were good with some Gorgonzola on them...

A bit like this highly anticipated videogame trailer music. 1:24 secs onwards I mean.

Does a good job at making what will likely be a great game seem very exciting. Check out the Williams style brass and woodwinds :P

I am so excited for that game! I loved the Resident Evil games since way before I should have. I remember sneaking in the middle of the night to play Resident Evil 2 when I was five...scared the living daylights out of me. I am excited for the orchestral score, especially given the orchestra performing it, but I am a little anxious given the composer's (lack of) "track record". Ah well, everyone has to start somewhere.

EDIT: I would like to apologize to the moderators for my overly long signature, and I will keep in mind to not use something that big again.

I'm over Resident Evil. I was a fan back when the first came out. The franchise lost it and the games just started getting bad. I played the RE5 demo and turned it off after 2 minutes. Horrible controls, stupid overly muscular characters, and an over-the-shoulder view. It turned into an action game, which is not what it's supposed to be.

They're not gonna change the camera view, controls, or content of the game between the release of the demo and the game :P

Demos show basically finished products. I've never seen a case where major changes were made. They usually just touch up graphics maybe, fix some bugs or glitches etc.

Having just listened to the Air and Simple Gifts again I think writing a score for Lincoln and using a quartet of this kind would be a great challenge for Williams. :) And I am sure he could get such a quartet of high profile musicians in on the project.

:music: Air and Simple Gifts

The "Air" melody sounds something that would be a spot on theme for Lincoln. And even with the quartet, without the brassy fanfares or woodwind flurries the music sounds very impressive.