The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Yeah, OK, I'll FO....sorry chaps! Kinda got to thinking that with the blurb all over the BBC website about it, plus the ravenous hunt for details, it wouldn't be a major thing...sorry! Won't do it again...

...but the episode does also...

.....feature the return of the Sontarans......

One thing's for sure though - if they're plastering this all over the websites over a week in advance, this lot is going to be the least of the surprises in store...

Keep your knickers on! If mentioning official announcements, coupled with pictures emblazoned all over official websites and the story making Entertainment headlines on one of the most visited websites in the world is a such a huge massive issue to you, then - well - fuck it, eh?

;)

Tonight's episode features the Gangers.

In other news...

Piers Wenger is departing as Who's Exec Producer and waving goodbye to the BBC as he heads off to pastures new - at Film4

Keep your knickers on! If mentioning official announcements, coupled with pictures emblazoned all over official websites and the story making Entertainment headlines on one of the most visited websites in the world is a such a huge massive issue to you,

I don't need you to decide for me what I should or should not know, al right mate?

Any new about upcoming episodes, whether you deem it official or not should include a spoiler warning!

fuck it, eh?

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on!

I don't read any DW specific sites, but I haven't seen anything I'd call a spoiler in general news. Only Digiguide's description which basically states the obvious based on last week's.

But, I won't be reading any of Greg's spoiler tags.

Ok that was interesting!

Overall the episode was OK, with the highlight being some Matt Smith as 2 Doctors. The episode vast fastpaced and convoluted, but it never really sucked me in. Also despite having so many plot turns is was...predictable

I figured very early on that the 2 Doctors swapped places. I figured that the supposedly human Jen was infact a Flesh version, trying to trick Rory, I'd figured at least one of The Flesh would replace it's human version. Also did not care for the "monster" bit in the end

I feel pretty much the same way about this 2 parter as I did about the Silurian one from last season. Entertaining, but average.

The ending did have me startled though. this turns everything around. Amy must have been a Flesh since the start of the season. The Doctor obviously knew, or found out, Rory seems to have been in on it too....

Only one more ep left :(

Star Wars is definitely being used as a source of inspiration, which I consider to be a good thing. Of course if they take it too far it may become too much but I doubt that.

As for the last story itself, I agree that it started good but kind of lost steam. It definitely had that classic vibe of say a late Tom Baker/early Davison era story, but as a whole it wasn't really anything other than a filler. The last five minutes were great though and really set up an interesting mid-season finale.

I think the Doctor didn't know about Amy being flesh until right before the episode began, though I don't know what he would have done by himself at the castle. As for Rory being involved, I sincerely doubt it. It was more of the fact that Rory trusts the Doctor and knows he wouldn't do anything to hurt Amy. He only killed the Ganger to severe the connection as she's likely about to give birth and being hooked up to her Ganger might have caused problems during the birth (at least that's my best guess).

As for the next episode the prequel is up and if you don't want to know this stop reading.....

two men wearing hoods? Either its Rory and the Doc or the new enemies are Jedi Knights?:blink:

Well, thanks to BBC America running a Top Gear marathon instead of Doctor Who reruns, I am now three weeks behind. :bash:

To see the episodes at UK rythm I look for them in the Internet. They aren't hard to find.

Well, thanks to BBC America running a Top Gear marathon instead of Doctor Who reruns, I am now three weeks behind. :bash:

Doctor Who was on all day Saturday, including Season 6 up to The Rebel Flesh at least twice over the course of the night. Should have checked the schedule.

:yes:

Any plot information regarding episodes that haven't aired yet should be spoiler blocked. Don't use your own interpretation, just assume there are people out there that don't want to know ANYTHING, but would like to be able to use this thread to discuss what has aired.

That being said, any information about an episode that has already aired doesn't have to be spoiler-blocked at all, but whatever you guys have working for you in this thread is fine.

Greg, could you fix your avatar and signature? It's quite distracting.

Is it possible the real Amy was replaced during the unseen events underground between The Impossible astronaut and The Day Of The Moon. She did not get the visions of Eyepatch Lady untill ep 2. Or maybe it happened in the orphanage.

If it happened at anytime, I would say when she was in the bed room with all the Silence above the ceiling. It always struck me as odd as she looked frightened as all get-out and the next second she's calmly walking out of the room. And I believe that you're right in that the first time she sees the eyepatch lady is right after she leaves the room in the second episode.

It always struck me as odd as she looked frightened as all get-out and the next second she's calmly walking out of the room.

Yes, but the moment you take your eye of The Silence, you forget about them, so it could have been just that.

Amy was definatly already pregnant in Ep one though. The future Doctor made a jab at her gaining a few pounds, and she was having stomach pains i believe.

If it happened at anytime, I would say when she was in the bed room with all the Silence above the ceiling. It always struck me as odd as she looked frightened as all get-out and the next second she's calmly walking out of the room. And I believe that you're right in that the first time she sees the eyepatch lady is right after she leaves the room in the second episode.

I was thinking, with The Doctor's reply to Amy's "I'm right here" being "No you're not, and you've not been for a very long time" in last weeks episode, is it not possible it could actually be at the end of season 5 when she was taken?

Might also make sense of my the Cybers and other 'Who villains' that we've not seen since The Pandorica Opens are suddenly making appearances in the coming mid-season finale. Also, The Pandorica Opens was full of Autons, including Rory. Perhaps they also had a Flesh version of Amy ready for the switch?

Wouldn't she almost have to have been replaced at some point before the last few moments of The Impossible Astronaut? If she's telling the Doctor she's pregnant at the end of Episode 1, wouldn't that mean she's the ganger Amy at that point? Which would lead me to believe that she's a duplicate earlier than that even, now I think of it, when she starts feeling sick. I'd have to watch it again to see if there are any obvious points where she's not onscreen where she could plausibly have been replaced. At this point, I have no idea. Could be as plain and simple as between A Christmas Carol and The Impossible Astronaut.

If she's telling the Doctor she's pregnant at the end of Episode 1, wouldn't that mean she's the ganger Amy at that point?

But Ganger Amy was never pregnant, the real Amy is

What I meant was, Ganger Amy (who is apparently the real Amy communicating somehow through her, if I understood that whole thing correctly) telling the Doctor she's pregnant meant that *real* Amy was pregnant and her memories/whatever were breaking through? That's how I'm seeing it. So, yes, Ganger Amy isn't pregnant, but Real Amy speaking through Ganger Amy is. So if that's Ganger Amy at that point in The Impossible Astronaut, Real Amy was kidnapped *before* that point. I think. It's all pregnanty-wegnanty.

:)

But in Day Of The Moon Amy says she is NOT pregant, and it is very likely that this is the Ganger Amy, making me think she was replaced somewhere between episode 1 and 2. We shall see tomorrow (or if we are unlucky, later in the year)

But in Day Of The Moon Amy says she is NOT pregant, and it is very likely that this is the Ganger Amy, making me think she was replaced somewhere between episode 1 and 2. We shall see tomorrow (or if we are unlucky, later in the year)

But she claims not to be pregnant right up til her end in The Almost People, doesn't she? Or was she just saying she wasn't at the point of contractions, I'm not sure. I can't remember Amy claiming to be pregnant at any point during this season apart from her revelation to the Doctor in The Impossible Planet/Day of the Moon. There was just the Doctor constantly scanning her, pregnant/not pregnant/pregnant/not pregnant/etc. I think. So anyway, my point is that just because she claims not to be pregnant doesn't automatically equal Ganger Amy, because she was clearly Ganger Amy (The Ginger Ganger) at the end of The Almost People. But yeah, hopefully we'll find out tomorrow. I'd rather find out now that months from now. I have a feeling the regenerating girl will be carried over into the fall, I don't think she's Amy's baby. Just my gut instinct.

ETA: Some non-spoiler-tagged text! Yay! :) Hard to believe we're at the halfway point of the season/series already. I still don't like the idea of stopping halfway through. But I'm excited to see what "game-changing" cliffhanger ending thing we're gonna get tomorrow.

Reading some of the previous comments, I still don't think everyone grasps what was going on with Amy (that or I'm just not grasping what everyone is saying). Either way, here is a recap of what happened according to what Graham and Moffat said on Confidential.

She was always Amy, but at some point she was presumably kidnapped by the eye-patch lady and was controlling a Ganger of herself, much like the people were controlling Gangers in the beginning of The Rebel Flesh. Every time she saw the eye-patch lady, the real world was seeping through and she was seeing where she was being held/controlling the Ganger. The Ganger was not a sentient being with independent thought, it was simply a pile of flesh being controlled by Amy Pond.

The Doctor disconnected the connection between Amy and the Ganger presumably so that she could give birth, but right before he did he told Amy not to worry and that he and Rory are coming for her. Going by River's comments, I'm assuming that this will lead to the Battle of Demon's Run.

A Good Man Goes to War

Predictable, plain, empty, lacking in emotional punch, repetitive on some ideas concerning the Doctor, repetitive on certain narrative mechanisms that I'm started to see coming a mile away. Quality of the score has gone down and I'm starting to be tired of tracked music that takes me out of the story and might not even fit the scenes. Matt Smith tries to elevate the material.

A Good Man Goes to War

Predictable, plain, empty, lacking in emotional punch, repetitive on some ideas concerning the Doctor, repetitive on certain narrative mechanisms that I'm started to see coming a mile away. Quality of the score has gone down and I'm starting to be tired of tracked music that takes me out of the story and might not even fit the scenes. Matt Smith tries to elevate the material.

Couldn't disagree more. Found it exciting, fresh and full of beautiful character moments. Haven't felt so attached to a cameo character than I have for the Sontaran nurse. The tracked music has been happening since series 1 of the revival. I just ignore it now. I genuinely didn't see the reveal coming till the last minute, but it seemed logical enough too me. It wasn't obvious by any stretch, like some people seem to think.

Can't wait for the next ep. 3 months is too long. And what a great title too...

(Yes, I said I'd depart this thread, but seeing as no-one has any info on the second half of the series I thought it'd be safe from any more unintentional spoilering).

A Good Man Goes to War

Pretty much what I thought too.

A Good Man Goes To War spoiler.

How did the Doctor find Amy? I didn't see that explained anywhere. (Edit: just read the wiki article. I wish plot details like that wouldn't be shoehorned into 5 nanoseconds during pre-titles)

And did someone in this thread predict that River was Amy's daughter? It was a nice surprise anyway, and it seems the plotting for the Smith era is pretty impressive.

A Good Man Goes To War spoiler.

How did the Doctor find Amy? I didn't see that explained anywhere.

And did someone in this thread predict that River was Amy's daughter? It was a nice surprise anyway, and it seems the plotting for the Smith era is pretty impressive.

I'd also like to know that too. I think my problem with it is that I was expecting to see all the problems and adventures they supposedly go through to find Amy and it skips all that. Also, I was in a bad mood. I should rewatch it.

I remember I thought something similar of Day of the Moon. The Impossible Astronaut sets us at the start of an adventure with the characters facing the Silence in a closed place and with us never seeing the Silents, but then they get out of there easily and we jump three months into the future. It was weird.

I had assumed who River was since earlier on this season, and I thought I was right

the moment Amy called her baby Melody

. Then again I was never too intrigued by who River was and more about her story with the Doctor. She was just River Song. My criticism was more about the whole episode than the reveal at the end. I still think this overall story is brilliant, but I'm just starting to feel like that the individual episodes are too uneven.

(Yes, I said I'd depart this thread, but seeing as no-one has any info on the second half of the series I thought it'd be safe from any more unintentional spoilering).

Don't leave us!

Final thougts:

I find funny how sometimes the line between "unpredictable" and a "let down" is so thin and blurry. Maybe great writers know how to play with the expectations they've already set up in the audience. For most people stories feel good when they are surprising, but also when they are "inevitable". We know Moffat can do this and I have great hopes on whatever is he going to with the ending of this season.

Here's my feelings on what happened. There are spoilers for A Good Man Goes to War so if you haven't seen it skip this post. Of course if you're in this thread and haven't seen it you're not a real Doctor Who fan. ;)

Anyway, I thought the episode was alright, but it kind of sums up my problems with this season. I thought the first twenty-five minutes or so were quite good and the whole disarming of the clerics was fun, even if we had to sit through those stupid spitfires again. After that though, the whole episode lost steam, a problem I've been having the entire season. Now I don't know if there is a different editor this season or something, but it feels like the momentum never peaks at the right time, and thus there is a long stretch at the end of episodes that are more story-telling and character driven which really bring the story down after a big high. I definitely felt it in The Almost People and did in a degree in The Day of the Moon as well (though not as severe). River's true identity unfortunately got spoiled for me a couple of months ago, though to me I much more interested in her connection to the Doctor than who her parents are. Even if I wasn't spoiled I don't think it would have been that big of a shock, as she's always been shrouded in mystery not necessarily by her identity but by how she connects to the Doctor so hopefully the rest of the season will show some/all of that part of her.

Overall, I felt it was an above average story but definitely was lacking some punch that I was expecting. Personally, I had similar problems with The Impossible Astronaunt/Day of the Moon so this isn't a surprise. While I like the more story focus drive of the season, I am surely missing the fairytale/adventure feel that Moffat introduced last season. One of the biggest highlights for me in the story was seeing the Mondas Cybermen return as well as the CyberShips. I assuming the mention of Cybermats the previous episode means that they'll be returning soon ,so that should be interesting to see. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing the Headless Monks getting their own episode next season as I really liked their war chant and lightsabres but felt they were a little underutilized.

Ok I've been away for a week on the beach in the Dominican Republic with my wife and so I've only just read the last page or so of posts in this thread. Am I the only one who thinks Greg got kind of a rough deal here? Ok, so he posted a spoiler assuming that everyone already knew about it (he said it was already posted on the BBC website, and they usually avoid major plot spoilers). I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but some of you seriously overreacted.

Use the spoiler function from now on you idiot!

What the hell is that? Come on guys, try to act like adults here. He made a mistake. He apologized. The way it seemed you all jumped on him was kind of pathetic. In the end the spoiler he posted wasn't even all that big of a deal, was it?

I hate spoilers as much as anyone, but Greg figured if it was posted to the official BBC website it couldn't really be that much of a spoiler. Yes he should have put it in spoiler text. He apologized. That should have been the end of it. That he was made to feel that he needed to stay away from this thread for a week is bang out of order.

Yeah, I thought it was rough as well but my standing isn't exactly high so I didn't speak up. I understand people getting upset but it was information released by the BBC themselves weeks prior to the episode, so as annoying as it may have been for some who avoid "spoilers" I understand Greg's original intention. In fact, I think this kind of brings a different thing into question: why are the BBC posting such spoilerific material prior to episode airings? It happened with the third episode when they posted an image of Lily Cole on the spaceship as well as information about the makeshift TARDIS from The Doctor's Wife. Hell, even the teaser trailer had the clip of the Doctor telling Amy's Ganger that they were coming to find her (which I remember thinking she would be kidnapped but forgot about it since). Are they trying to counter spoilers by releasing them by themselves? Seems weird either way, especially considering how upset Moffat gets when story details are leaked (such as River being Rory and Amy's daughter).

What the hell is that? Come on guys, try to act like adults here. He made a mistake. He apologized. The way it seemed you all jumped on him was kind of pathetic. In the end the spoiler he posted wasn't even all that big of a deal, was it?

Honeybadger don't care! Honeybadger don't give a f*ck!

Honeybadger should stick to eating cobras, mice, and nasty larvae. ;)

Anyway, back on topic. Having been away for the last two episodes I finally caught them both yesterday. "The Almost People" concluded what is probably my favourite story of the season so far. I really enjoyed the horror elements mixed with a terrific moral struggle. The reveal that

the two Doctors had switched shoes

was a little predictable, but excellently handled nonetheless. Overall a great story. A Good Man Goes to War I felt suffered from the same problems of some of RTD's season finales. It tried to cram to much spectacle and too many cameos into too short a time, resulting in a bit of a mess of an episode. A lot of fun (a LOT of fun) and highly enjoyable, but it really left very little room for tension-building, emotional impact, or characterization. At least until the last third of the story. The scenes in which

the Doctor is forced to realize that he has been a force of destruction, and to face what he has become

were very poignant. The final "twist" was very well handled, and, despite being rumoured among fans for some time, was suitably shocking when it was revealed.

The season so far IMO:

Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon 7/10

Curse of the Black Spot 5/10

The Doctor's Wife 8.5/10

The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People 9/10

A Good Man Goes to War 7.5/10

An enjoyable, if overall slightly underwhelming half-season. Much as I am intreagued by the complexities of the intertwining plot devices of this season, I miss the mystery of good old-fashioned "let's go exploring this new planet until something scary happens" stories. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this season, but I hope next season takes a different approach. Mainly, I hope plot complexities stop taking the place of atmospheric development. I'll take "The Unquiet Dead" and "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" over anything from this season so far.

The first 20 minutes of the episode are done "on the run". With a lot of stuff happening, and minimal exposition. There's some really cool stuff, and Arthur Darvil is actually amazing in kick-ass mode! The headless monks are cool, though not nearly as scary as The Silence or The Weeping Angels. I rather like the way we see The Doctor selects a team to find Amy. Though I struggle to find any credibility in a Silurian, living in Victorian England apparently unnoticed. (last season they were a hidden race).

The Doctor, when he finally does show up has an amazing scene were we finally see him really angry. Matt Smith really shines here. But throughout most of the episode The Doctor, and Amy and even Rory mostly seem to be standing at the side looking on, while others are acting. The Doctor actually comes of as very incompetent here.

The final stand-off between the headless monks and Dumbledor....eeenhh the Doctor's Army! It could have been good, but it's neither exciting, not very well shot or edited.

The final revelation of River Song. It's handled pretty well, and I actually missed the very obvious "Melody" hint. (i know...i know).

But in the end it's not really that much of a surprise, It was suggested in this thread by several, including me. Also, it's a bit of a non event. River being the daughter of Amy and Rory is well thought off (though it has nothing to do with The River Song as she was conceived in season 4). But who River is is not as interesting as who she is, or will become for The Doctor. Now at this points It does seem to be rather clear that she will be the Doctor's Wife, or lover. While this concept was fantastic and shocking in Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead, now it's really obvious. So unless I have that part completely wrong, the only really interesting thing about River Song is who is she going to kill

I must also agree with the music tracking this season. Now they have been tracking music since 2005, and usually they do it rather well, but this season at times it sticks out like a sore thumb.

This mid-season cliff-hanger does exactly what it needs to do. Answers a few questions, but at the same time giving us new ones. The problem this season is that if the final reveal is not anything less then spectacular, then this season will be a disappointment. So far the individual episodes have been merely OK. Nothing really memorable. Moffat has hedged all his bets on this season's big arc!

I just hope....HOPE in the end it will be worth it.

For me:

The Impossible Astronaut ****

Day of the Moon ***

The Curse of the Black Spot *

The Doctor's Wife *****

The Rebel Flesh **

The Almost People *

A Good Man Goes To War ***

What's interesting now is that the relationships between the four main characters are probably going to be hilarious.

Anyway, back on topic. Having been away for the last two episodes I finally caught them both yesterday. "The Almost People" concluded what is probably my favourite story of the season so far. I really enjoyed the horror elements mixed with a terrific moral struggle. The reveal that

the two Doctors had switched shoes

was a little predictable, but excellently handled nonetheless. Overall a great story.

Liked part 1 and the first half of part 2, but it ran out of steam. Also the ganger turning monster was a bit hokey.

A Good Man Goes to War I felt suffered from the same problems of some of RTD's season finales. It tried to cram to much spectacle and too many cameos into too short a time, resulting in a bit of a mess of an episode.

Yes. So far Moffat's stories have lost the economy and clarity they did have last season. Everything is faster, bigger, more! (though he hasn't yet relocated Earth and 12 planets and have millions of Daleks buzzing over Earth)

Also, this season, the gay references are back, with a vengeance! (Am I the only one suspicious of that Silurian and her human maid? )

The season so far IMO:

Impossible Astronaut 9,5 (slightly underwhelming cliffhanger)

Day of the Moon 8/10 (chaotic, but exciting)

Curse of the Black Spot 7/10 (mindless fun)

The Doctor's Wife 8.5/10 (so much goodness here)

The Rebel Flesh 8/10 (well-made, slightly predictable)

The Almost People 7/10 (underwhelming overall, good cliffhanger though)

A Good Man Goes to War 7.5/10 (not as great as I was hoping)

My opinion of The Almost People is pretty much like

I believe Moffat's story arch ideas are suffering because of the format of the show.

Imagine it was like this instead:

The Impossible Astronaut

Day of the Moon (longer)

The Doctor's Wife (I believe this could be split into two episodes because a) It's too short and b) To make the most of its very good idea. But I'm not sure.)

The Almost People (A single episode introducing the flesh idea, focusing in solving the moral dilemma and then the final twist)

A Good Man Goes to War (The Doctor reunites this "group of heroes", and they go to find Amy. You could put some space pirate stuff here, or the classic "arriving on an athmospheric place and then something terrifying happens" kind of stuff, or...)

Demons Run (Rory, The Doctor and the others finally find Amy and a battle against the headless monks happens, etc etc)

Let's Kill Hitler (whatever it's about).

etc

PS: I like the seventh episode a bit more now.

Liked part 1 and the first half of part 2, but it ran out of steam. Also the ganger turning monster was a bit hokey.

Oh I liked that part. I've always found the idea of people turning into hideous monsters quite chilling. My all-time favourite Dr Who story is The Seeds of Doom from Tom Baker's second season back in 1976! Having said that, the Flesh-monster was a bit too similar to the creature from season 3's "The Lazarus Experiment".

Chaac, interesting that you and I have completely different opinions of the Flesh 2-parter. The great thing about Dr Who is that almost every episode apeals to different people. The 4-year-old children of a friend of mine absolutely loved "Curse of the Black Spot" and I completely respect its appeal to younger people ("Dr Who and pirates in the same story! Woohoo!").

Great! I wasn't too worried but it's nice to have confirmation. Also, the Beeb have confirmed that Sarah-Jane Adventures series 5 will air later this year. Looks like it will contain only the three stories completed before Lis Sladen's death, spread over 6 episodes. I wonder if they will add a special final scene to wrap the series up and pay respects to Lis Sladen and a truly unforgettable character.

Oh I liked that part. I've always found the idea of people turning into hideous monsters quite chilling. My all-time favourite Dr Who story is The Seeds of Doom from Tom Baker's second season back in 1976! Having said that, the Flesh-monster was a bit too similar to the creature from season 3's "The Lazarus Experiment".

Chaac, interesting that you and I have completely different opinions of the Flesh 2-parter. The great thing about Dr Who is that("Dr Who and pirates in the same story! Woohoo!").

Great! I wasn't too worried but it's nice to have confirmation. Also, the Beeb have confirmed that Sarah-Jane Adventures series 5 will air later this year. Looks like it will contain only the three stories completed before Lis Sladen's death, spread over 6 episodes. I wonder if they will add a special final scene to wrap the series up and pay respects to Lis Sladen and a truly unforgettable character.

Pixie, it's been a long time since I have seen it, but didn't "Enlightenment" contain pirates?

Well said about "SJA"s. Her character (and Liz Sladen) should have a good send-off.

Concerning The Doctor: is it me, or is he becoming ever-more morally ambiguous?

Chaac, interesting that you and I have completely different opinions of the Flesh 2-parter. The great thing about Dr Who is that almost every episode apeals to different people. The 4-year-old children of a friend of mine absolutely loved "Curse of the Black Spot" and I completely respect its appeal to younger people ("Dr Who and pirates in the same story! Woohoo!").

Yup, one the things that hooked me instantly is that it can be about anything. I actually like using pirates and I love the core concept for the Flesh story, but I also found these episodes quite lacking and that's what bothers me. Although it didn't stop me from being all excited when I was watching them.

I wish I had seen this show as a kid. I know for a fact that my reaction would have been priceless.

I was 4 when I started watching the show sometime during Jon Pertwee's final season as The Doctor. My reaction to it was immense. Even now I can work out when and where I was at certain points of my childhood by remembering what Dr Who show was on at the time. I don't remember the year we had a school trip to see a play about the Black Death one evening, but I do remember that I had just finished watching an episode of "Image of the Fendahl" on TV before my parents took me to the school bus. Having just checked Wiki I can see that Fendahl was shown October 1977, so that's when the play was shown! Amazing!

Brilliant! John Culshaw is a genius! He actually called me up on my birthday a few years ago as The Doctor. I wasn't home, but there was this amazing message on my answer machine. Turns out a friend of mine was at a charity event where Culshaw was speaking, and for a small donation to the charity my friend persuaded Culshaw to call me and wish me a happy birthday as Tom Baker! Amazing.

Mind you, the real star of that clip is Tom Baker, as always. The man is off his rocker, and a truly remarkable speaker and comedian.

So apparently there's a rumor started by comments from the head of programming that next season will not be a full season? Why do I get the strangest feeling that Michael Grade has regenerated into the new head of programming?

Of course its all rumor at this point but the BBC wouldn't be stupid enough to jeopardize their most successful show would they? Hell, Doctor Who is having a big growth movement in the US so if this shortened season is true, the logic in it all completely fails me.

So apparently there's a rumor started by comments from the head of programming that next season will not be a full season? Why do I get the strangest feeling that Michael Grade has regenerated into the new head of programming?

Of course its all rumor at this point but the BBC wouldn't be stupid enough to jeopardize their most successful show would they? Hell, Doctor Who is having a big growth movement in the US so if this shortened season is true, the logic in it all completely fails me.

Here's the rumour/news whatever you want to call it.

BBC1 Controller Danny Cohen today revealed that, after much speculation generated since the Private Eye article and subsequent BBC announcements last week, Doctor Who will indeed be returning in a curtailed form during 2012.

Speaking at the Church and Media Conference this afternoon, Cohen's comments were relayed via Twitter, with BBC Merseyside's Religious Editor Wayne Clarke reporting: "Danny Cohen says there won't be a full series of Doctor Who in 2012, but a special run for the anniversary in 2013". The BBC's Entertainment Correspondent Liza Mzimba confirmed the comments this evening, adding that other reported comments by Cohen on the decision being made to enable head writer Steven Moffat more time to write his other hit series Sherlock were light-hearted and not meant to be taken seriously.

No other details on how many episodes will comprise the 2012 run at present, though the BBC confirmed last week that fourteen episodes had been commissioned, including this year's Christmas Special, with Matt Smith at the helm in the role as The Doctor.

Update: commenting on the various media stories circulating over Cohen's announcement, Steven Moffat said: "Dr Who: misquotes and misunderstandings. But I'm not being bounced into announcing the cool stuff before we're ready. Hush, and patience."

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/06/dwn140611220008-no-full-series-for.html

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/No-Full-Series-of-Doctor-Who-Until-2013.aspx