And the BAFTA for Achievement in Film Music Goes To....

Greg1138

Brokeback Mountain - Gustavo Santaolalla

The Constant Gardener - Alberto Iglesias

Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

Mrs Henderson Presents - George Fenton

Walk The Line - T Bone Burnett

:|

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed it already? :|

Not been broadcast yet....

So Geisha is raking in the music awards.Lets hope it carries to the Oscars.

K.M.

Indeed - the BAFTA is always a good indicator of AMPAS tastes.....

AMPAS what's that?

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences - which hands out the Academy Awards, a.k.a. the Oscars.

I missed it already? :|

Not been broadcast yet....

So how far are they behind? The VFX guys from King Kong are giving their acceptance speach now...

Way to go John Williams!!! Though I always knew he would win the BAFTA award. Next is the Oscar!

Great!

I hadn't seen the nominations, and I can't understand how brits can allow so many american movies in their nods. I might see it from a country where even when they try to protect our own cinema against american movies people still prefer the latter, but I just can't see the point of considering american movies in the same categories as brit ones just because the original language is English.

The Brits do have taste, indeed. :|

They also have Stephen Fry, bless him.

Speaking of whom, I just bought the complete Young Ones on DVD yesterday at Best Buy. It's supposed to be 60 bucks, but the one I picked up has been mispriced at 16.99! The girl at the checkout desk let me have it as it was a BB mistake. (Stephen Fry is in one episode, hence the connection. I just needed the excuse to brag!)

Greg, permission to kill you for spoiling the result...

I'm watching the damn ceremony as I type!!! ROTFLMAO:|

I thought it was a speculative post until I clicked on the BBC link (thankfully I couldn't care less about the other categories this year)

I highly doubt Williams was there in person, but it's at least 1 mystery to look forward to. Only it isn't a good sign when they announce the winner and the camera stays on the announcer.

Are they really keeping the score award to be the very last before the Best Film award?

Well, if they think it's that important... :|

EDIT: Oh balls, looks like I missed it after all. Best Film coming up. Damn you, Greg, for making me sit through this!

EDIT: Oh balls, looks like I missed it after all. Best Film coming up. Damn you, Greg, for making me sit through this!

No. It's just that those fuckwits at the BBC think that no-one cares, so they cut it. As always.

No. It's just that those fuckwits at the BBC think that no-one cares, so they cut it. As always.

:|ROTFLMAObowdownROTFLMAO

Never a truer word spoken.....except for the good boys at BBC Parliament, but I have to say that.....one's brother works there, dontcha know.....

They might include it as part of an 'earlier this evening...' montage but given that there's less than 10 mins left and Attenborough is still talking, my hopes aren't high.

We've got another Brit Classicals here (and I'm baffled at their including editing, out of only 2 technical awards in the main ceremony - possibly the least significant one there is.

Looks like I too watched the whole thing for nothing, and I've got a lot of other stuff I could be doing. A$$holes.

Bastards! :|

Only microscopic germs can stop Johnny now on his path to Oscar glory! At least Lord Dickie Attenborough mentioned my name...it was long overdue.

Damn, everyone cried with Putnam's speech. What did he say? I missed it.

Bizarrely he started going on about one of the scenes toward the end of The Sixth Sense, and that was reducing everyone to a blubbering wreck. It was hard to tell whether they were moved by the point he was actually trying to make or whether they were just thinking about the scene itself. :music:

It’s terribly insulting that the BBC has always lacked the guts to show the BAFTAs live. Is it purely due to fears of them running into overtime and screwing up their precious schedules? If they’re re-arranging schedules for snooker and football matches of all things, they can do it for this. It always bugs me as they shun some of the smaller categories from being aired live meaning none of the winners loved ones get to see them win on television.

At least Fry continues to make the proceedings far more bearable to watch than the Oscars which I gave up watching some years ago now. I still think it was still a little better when the BAFTAs were a sit down/dinner type Golden Globe’s affair mind you.

And what about the Pulitzer? I remember that some time ago they decided to also award top achievement in film music -- at the time Thomas Newman was someone mentioned as worthy of it.

Well, Williams and Memoirs of a Geisha surelly are...

If you mean the music segment, it's not really worth getting. They showed literally about 15 seconds - which I recorded but ain't getting many repeat plays :)

Indeed. She just says something like "Oooh, John Williams, its an honour..." and then they cut to the next award. :music: