Music of America: John Williams

Well they arrived!

Just so everyone knows, these sets are digipacks, and the spines are a bit crooked from the shrink wrap.

The stickers on the front confirm that the set is Williams, Barber, Bernstein, Copland, and Ives. It also advertises them all as being 3 disc sets, so I'm not sure why amazon only has 2 discs listed for the Copland set. Unless the stickers just generalize the releases.

So, what version of Air and Simple Gifts is on it?

Too bad, by the way, that American Collection theme isn't included. They could recycle everything I already have, but not the one thing I didn't! So I just went ahead and ordered the Classic Yo Yo CD, too - good thing is the whole CD will be worth it, undoubtedly.

Well,the only thing I can say is this is a great compilation for those that haven't heard the majority of these pieces

i'll eat my hat if it's a different version of Air and Simple gifts than the itunes one

I'm going to assume it's the same version that way available in the Yo-Yo Ma set and itunes, which is the original. I listen to my CDs in the order that I receive them, and I've got about 15 discs ahead of these sets! However, if you really NEED to know I can pop it open tomorrow and let you all know.

Are the Geisha pieces longer than their OST equivalents?

Any significant differences in the music?

Thanks.

The geisha suite is a substantial revision. It is more or less a cello concerto. The cello has replaced the japanese instruments on certain tracks--to great effect. There is a gorgeous "duet," if you will, of the cello and violin in the chairman's waltz. I would say this "concerto" is the exact sort of thing most fans of William's film music, but not so much concert music, would want his concert music to sound like.

The MOAG Suite is an absolute must-have for any true JWFan.

Hear! Hear! ;)

The suite is a wonderful reworking and elaboration on the themes of the original work. Williams extends his themes and orchestrations to create a self contained work but also a companion piece to the original score that explores the material in satisfying new ways.

I'm loving the Geisha suite! I video-recorded the suite a few years back at Tanglewood when Williams conducted Ma with the Boston Pops, but I was sitting so far away that I didn't capture the clarity that is heard on this new compilation. And despite the fact that the rest of the selections have all been recycled, the entire collection covers a pretty broad spectrum of works. I agree with whoever said this would serve as a good intro to anyone just getting into JW.

I was hoping that Sony would release the set in stores in Finland but fat chance. It is listed as import. I have to order it from abroad like all the good stuff. Even the big labels don't release stuff here anymore. Irritating.

Well, I've ordered it from Amazon and it'll turn out way cheaper than if it would come into stores here, even with the weaker euro.

This looks like a pretty good selection of music. I gotta say though, I just can't get past that hideous cover art. I can't fathom what the artist was thinking. "Hey I've got an idea! I'll take a black and white picture of JW, and then I'll throw a rainbow over his face for absolutely no reason!" lol

I think I'll get a double-disc jewel case for Memoirs of a Geisha and throw the disc with the suite in there with the OST. The other discs are useless to me and I hate digi-packs.

It's available on iTunes. I'm thinking I might just buy it there, since the only things I don't have are the Geisha suite, the concerto, and the elegy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this. So it appears that:

- Air and Simple Gifts is the 'chamber' version. The orchestral version remains unreleased.

- Memoirs of a Geisha is the orchestral suite. The three 'iTunes Sessions' tracks remain only available as a download and unavailable in CD quality - except "Going to School", which appears on the mammoth Yo-Yo Ma box set (in CD quality).

Listening to Memoirs of a Geisha on this set now; such splendid music. And significantly altered into concert versions, I might add.

I received mine over the weekend and it looks like I only ordered it for the Geisha suites. The packaging is cheap and flimsy. The Discs can scratch if you're not careful because they are in sleeves with no protection.

After browsing the booklet it appears the rest of the music I have on other Williams compilations.

Yeah, I've got the rest, too, but it's more than worth it for that Memoirs suite alone.

Plus:

- I love to have Air & Simple Gifts on CD, too.

- I don't have Hollywood Sound on CD, so there are a few rerecordings on this that I didn't have, too.

- The other material is put in a different order than on the original CDs, so I might listen to some stuff more frequently in this way.

So, all in all, despite it being a shame that Sony doesn't get Williams to record a bunch of new stuff, a very good deal, 3 CDs for less than 20 euros.

The packaging stinks, though! (At least for the CDs itself.) I'm going to put my CDs in a case so I don't scratch them.

It's a shame about the digipack, but I think that the artwork, photos, and the notes are all very nice. I too primarily purchased this for Geisha and Air and Simple Gifts but it really is a very nice collection of music.

A nice compilation of concert/film/celebratory works like this really helps to enforce a belief that Williams is probably the most important American composer of the later half of the 20th century.

They're fantastic. I highly recommend them, particularly "Sayuri's Theme" and "Going to School." In fact, I prefer these two works to most, if not all, of the material on the OST.

The Discs can scratch if you're not careful because they are in sleeves with no protection.

WHAT THE F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was a digipack like TPM UE, JAWS, or Indy (Concord)! Damn. Thank god i have means of fixxing this like i did with TLW...

The Discs can scratch if you're not careful because they are in sleeves with no protection.

WHAT THE F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was a digipack like TPM UE, JAWS, or Indy (Concord)! Damn. Thank god i have means of fixxing this like i did with TLW...

Nope, it's like TLW. Now that is something to complain about. However I would imagine it kept the costs down on a 3 disc set with cheaper packaging.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to hear the memoirs of a geisha suite but it costs about $40 when I would order it from amazon.de, oh well....

The tracks from this set that were recorded with the LSO in 1996, is there an album with this session on it? Or is this all that was recorded?

OK, reading through this thread, I've made up my mind and ordered this (despite its many shortcomings)!

What the hell, I only live once, and I can't wait to hear the Memoirs Suite. :lol:

Hi there!

Just in case this has'nt been posted yet:

http://cso.org/ListenAndWatch/Details.aspx?id=12130

This audio stream of the Chicago Symphony might be interesting for some of you guys

who love his works for the concert hall.

Anything interesting/unreleased through that stream?