11312 replies to this topic

#3081 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

I can't help it though! Every time I click "quote" (only once!) I always end up with a double quote on my mac...

#3082 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16105 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

Buy a PC!

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#3083 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

I have a PC too! I just don't use it a lot these days :P

#3084 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17611 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Sleepers:
This was a unique listen for me in that it's probably the only available Williams release that I had never heard in any form before listening to the OST. I also knew very little about the film - only that it's about a group of adults that were molested as children. After one listen, I think it's a good score. The treatment of the Dies Irae is the thing that stands out to me the most--it is similar to the treatment Williams gives it in Jurassic Park and Revenge of the Sith, and parts of it remind me of Rachmaninoff. The choral work in "Saying the Rosary" is beautiful - did Williams write that, or is that from Church liturgy? Like most of these subtle works, I think it's something I will grow to enjoy more (like Incanus mentioned in his review a few pages back).

Liszt: Piano Concertos 1 and 2, and the Totentanz
Very enjoyable stuff. I love the Totentanz, some really cool variations on Dies Irae.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#3085 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

indy4, you like Frank Ticheli, right?

Jwpepper.com posted an interview with him on their blog yesterday, if you're interested.

http://blogs.jwpepper.com/?p=3281

#3086 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17611 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the link! Reading it right now, it's very interesting.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#3087 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9539 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Just keep listening to Sleepers, Indy, it will open up the score for you. It has now become of my personal top 10 JW scores, really rewarding stuff
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#3088 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17611 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

I'm fully expecting to fall in love with it within the next few months. John Williams just has too much talent to write a bad score (with some very rare exceptions). :)

#3089 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5030 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Even I started to like it after bashed it many times. Damn you JW!

#3090 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15423 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

Just keep listening to Sleepers, Indy, it will open up the score for you. It has now become of my personal top 10 JW scores, really rewarding stuff

What I really like about Sleepers: woodwinds and the off-kilter main theme.

Karol
"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#3091 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

Thanks for the link! Reading it right now, it's very interesting.

Ahh, a fan of Frank Tichelli are you indy4? I like the man's work, he can create some truly beautiful music at times. But I've met him before, wasn't the best of experiences. He was kind of stuck-up, self-righteous and a bit of a jerk at times. But doesn't mean I don't like his music (which I vey much do).

#3092 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17611 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

Really? That's a shame. At least he writes good music!

#3093 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

Good to see the Sleepers has so many fans on this MB. :)

It is not as straightforwardly accessible as much of Williams' music but it is certainly rewarding once you get into the score. The choral work in Saying the Rosary is original Williams although he uses the Latin Mass text (holy communion I think which fits the scene).

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#3094 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17611 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

The choral work in Saying the Rosary is original Williams although he uses the Latin Mass text (holy communion I think which fits the scene) and parts of the Requiem mass text.

Ah, thanks for the info!

#3095 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

The choral work in Saying the Rosary is original Williams although he uses the Latin Mass text (holy communion I think which fits the scene) and parts of the Requiem mass text.

Ah, thanks for the info!

Ah I did a quick check and it is actually just from the holy communion text. The choir is basically repeating this text in full or in fragments: Corpus Domini nostri Jesu Christi [custodiat] animam tuam in vitam aeternam = May the Body of our Lord Jesus Christ preserve your soul unto everlasting life.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#3096 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Journey of Natty Gann - Horner

Such a great, heartwarming score. The 40+ minute runtime passes by quickly, and one of Horner's best efforts. Good movie too.

Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - Desplat

I never get tired of this score. Just wonderful.

#3097 lonzoe

lonzoe

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

With today being Friday the 13th. I listened to all the scores in the LLLR Friday the 13th Box set.

#3098 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

Journey by Austin Wintory: An immersive, atmospherical and lyrical experience. I am sure it works wonders in the expansive setting of the game and on its own the music conjures shades of different cultural influences but never, as the composer intended, veers too much to any one recognizable ethnic style. Minimalism works beautifully here giving the music constant motion as does the orchestration relying very much on strings, flute and cello making notable solos throughout. The final song I Was Born for This is a beautifully haunting meditation and a finale on the main theme, which is ubiquitous in the score itself but never outstays its welcome. Really a beautifully serene, lyrical and almost hypnotic experience.

#3099 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28893 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

War Horse. Just now during the BBC's coverage of The Grand National.

#3100 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17611 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Listened to On the Town again. Of the limited music I've heard by Leonard Bernstein, this has got to be one of his best. I love the weird rhythmic things he does, especially in the opening track. Any musicians know what it's called when you've got a melody playing in one time signature, and a counterline underneath it that feels like it's playing in another time signature? In "New York New York" there's a part where the melody is playing in 4/4, and underneath it trombones and percussion are playing dotted half notes...it's an awesome effect.

#3101 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Those are called polyrhythms or the concept is known as polyrhythmics and Bernstein uses them quite a lot, each time with an awesome effect (you've got to love the polyrhythms in Overture to Candide).

#3102 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17611 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

Thanks!

#3103 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

While I guess that definition would qualify, it depends on the context of this.

If you're hearing 2 against 3 (like one musical line is playing something that sounds like it's in 2, vs. something that sounds simultaeneously in 3) it's called a hemiola.

#3104 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17611 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

Ah, I see. Thanks!

#3105 Taikomochi

Taikomochi

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Those are called polyrhythms or the concept is known as polyrhythmics and Bernstein uses them quite a lot, each time with an awesome effect (you've got to love the polyrhythms in Overture to Candide).

Does Williams do this? If so, examples?

Posted Image

#3106 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

Right, I didn't know he asked for specifically the 2:3 rhythm, I thought he was just asking about conflicting rhythms in general. ;)

Yes, he does use them. A lot of composers do. I'll dig up some examples and come back with clips in a few min :P

#3107 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

Right, I didn't know he asked for specifically the 2:3 rhythm, I thought he was just asking about conflicting rhythms in general. ;)

Yes, he does use them. A lot of composers do. I'll dig up some examples and come back with clips in a few min :P

Haha, I didn't know if the excerpt he meant was 2 against 3 or not either, I was just throwing that option out there.

#3108 alicebrallice

alicebrallice

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1851 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

john debney - evan almighty

it's definitely good for what it is. I usually listen to it when I'm in the mood for something fun and not too heavy. haha, the movie was awful though!

I uploaded the ark theme for anyone who's interested:

#3109 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17611 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

Roar! - Michael Giacchino

I'm so glad Giacchino was allowed to write this, it's great.

#3110 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17611 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

Metropolis Symphony: Really cool piece, especially the first and last movement. I can see why it is described as the modern day Symphonie Fantastique.

#3111 MrJosh

MrJosh

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

Roar! - Michael Giacchino

I'm so glad Giacchino was allowed to write this, it's great.

Yeah, Roar! is pretty fantastic! :)

Just listened to Farscape Vol 1-3, Guy Gross. Interesting music....and I've never seen the show.

#3112 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15423 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Back to Gaya by Michael Kamen

This is being played constantly on my iPod recently. While not exactly The Iron Giant, the album is very, very enjoyable on its own right.

Karol
"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#3113 gkgyver

gkgyver

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8186 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

I've been digging through the Ben-Hur set.

In fact, I did something I haven't done in a long time; I put the discs in my BluRay player, sat down in my armchair and listened to the entire score from the first bar to the last. I was amazed how fluent it is, and how the drama or the pace or the compositional dilligence never drags.
I still have to go through the bonus material, but I found the story in the booklet fascinating, when Rosza describes how the stood on the hill and could oversee Rome, and he pictured it inside his head, and on the way back, he whistled all those brass fanfares.
And how they had to add an extra day of recording to the schedule because the brass player absolutely could not go on.

"You think they wear those tight-fitting clothes just so some other bride can say 'Gee your hips look succulent'? The good-looking ones know we're looking, they love us to be looking, and god bless 'em, they're carrying the rest of their sex!" - Al Bundy

#3114 MrJosh

MrJosh

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

In fact, I did something I haven't done in a long time; I put the discs in my BluRay player, sat down in my armchair and listened to the entire score from the first bar to the last.

Now that is an awesome thing. I often forget to just sit down and LISTEN to music...too often it's going on in the car, whilst I'm bustling about the house getting tasks accomplished. I am going to just sit down and appreciate some music!

#3115 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20705 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

It's very hard to listen to a new score in the car. The fluctuation between too soft and too loud is quite extreme. For non-leisurely driving, like through heavy traffic or when I'm too tired to be safe on the road, I usually opt for loud scores or, to be safer, rock, metal, or even comedy, where the energy of the music and/or rampant swearing keeps me more alert than the soft flutter of violins and harps.

#3116 alicebrallice

alicebrallice

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1851 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

thomas newman - wall-e

such a beautiful and fun score. makes me want to watch the movie again!

#3117 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15423 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Alien by Jerry Goldsmith

Finally heard the complete score. It was never going to be the smoothest listening experience, but that doesn't change the fact it's all pretty awesome music. You can hear elements from so many different Goldsmith scores (both pre- and post- Alien): the echoing effects of Patton, the avant garde of The Mephisto Waltz and Planet of the Apes, the wonder Star Trek and Poltergeist. It's all there. Fascinating listen, if a bit challenging.

Predator by Alan Silvestri

Yup, a natural follow up. It's funny how the wondrous s-f material reminds me of Alien. The score is an excercise in tension and stillness. Not an action music at all, which might surprise a casual listener. Great stuff!

Karol

#3118 MrJosh

MrJosh

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Alien by Jerry Goldsmith

Finally heard the complete score. It was never going to be the smoothest listening experience, but that doesn't change the fact it's all pretty awesome music. You can hear elements from so many different Goldsmith scores (both pre- and post- Alien): the echoing effects of Patton, the avant garde of The Mephisto Waltz and Planet of the Apes, the wonder Star Trek and Poltergeist. It's all there. Fascinating listen, if a bit challenging.

Karol

Alien is in my top 5 favorite scores. It really is an engaging listen each time for me, I can sit there and get sucked into the music.

I just listened to The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Harry Gregson-Williams. I actually found it hard to stay interested through most of it, besides the main theme statements which I think are really great. I listened to the complete footwarming one, so maybe that's why my mind was wondering....many soft underscore cues.

#3119 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7525 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

the footwarmer is also incomplete, there are some good cues missing.

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

https://dl.dropboxus...From-Hoth-2.gif

#3120 MrJosh

MrJosh

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

the footwarmer is also incomplete, there are some good cues missing.

For real? Lame...What good is a footwarmer if it actually has a hole in it....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Score Talk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users