What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's only titled Edge of Tomorrow. It was originally going to be titled All You Need Is Kill like the book.

Lol. Well at least they improved it. That's awful.

The film itself still says Edge of Tomorrow on home media. They just put Live Die Repeat in large letters on the front cover.

It's still another marketing change for the film. The product listings on websites say Live Die Repeat, proving that they could never really decide on how to sell it. I still consider Edge Of Tomorrow the official title.

It's Innaritu man!

I never saw anything from him.

I wonder what Iñarritu means in Basque.

Actually they changed the title to Live Die Repeat for home media.

What? But that sucks! :(

Seriously? Watch Biutiful and Babel as soon as possible.

I Give It A Year - normally I'd avoid rom-coms like the plague, but this British one displays a desire to avoid the usual fluffy cliches via its pleasingly snarky, cynical and inappropriate sense of humour as its central couple (Rafe Spall and Rose Byrne) discover over the course of their first year of marriage that they're just not meant to be together.

I wonder if I actually missed one. Maybe I'm brainwashed too? (must ... watch ... new Marvel movie ...)

Yeah, that's what these crass commercial billion $ machines spawning like lemmings need, a fuckin' belgian apologist.

Nanny McPhee - The acting and slapstick humor are a bit overcooked in places, but screenwriter/star Emma Thompson and director Kirk Jones keep the film moving at a brisk but entertaining pace. Thompson does a marvelous job conveying the cryptic but wry Nanny McPhee, and she is constantly a joy to watch even when her child co-stars ham it up. The cinematography and costume design are garish, but it's all keeping with the storybook aspect of the film. Patrick Doyle's score for the film almost plays as a prelude to what he'd do for Cinderella a decade later.

I wonder if I actually missed one. Maybe I'm brainwashed too? (must ... watch ... new Marvel movie ...)

Yeah, that's what these crass commercial billion $ machines spawning like lemmings need, a fuckin' belgian apologist.

But how did it brainwash me, pubs? Is it because I check them out, maybe like 2 of them, that I'm brainwashed?

You're beginning to sound just as paranoid as Ginsberg in Mad Men (you know, the one who thinks the computer will turn everyone into gays).

Alex

Didn't you suggest yourself that you were brainwashed?

And I know you've seen more than two of them ;)

Pubs said Marvel brainwashes people, not me. I would never say that. I'm not Ginsberg! And I meant I maybe 'like' (enjoy) two of them.

You're beginning to sound just as paranoid as Ginsberg in Mad Men (you know, the one who thinks the computer will turn everyone into gays).

He was right!

And you may believe me that outside of occasional jests on this board i don't give fuck who watches this stuff or doesn't. For the sake OF this board i think it isn't unreasonable to raise a voice of reason in the ever-growing tumors of Marvel etc. threads, the idle speculation if the Hulk wears his natty brown pants or how wonderful the fifteenth Captain America sequel might be.

Though my purely circumstantial visit to GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY left me bored beyond belief and the few measly attempts at humor so joyfully celebrated here hardly made up the stiff hours of exposition, the weigthless battles without end or worse, the totally lame villain.

the few measly attempts at humor so joyfully celebrated here hardly made up the stiff hours of exposition, the weigthless battles without end or worse, the totally lame villain.

I feel similarly.

The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Ang Lee's Hulk was a flawed, but interesting attempt at this material which provecit could be done with real psychological depth..

Sadly the follow-up, which is more of a reboot then a sequel abandons the more cerebral tone of the first film nad goes for a lot of action and rather offputting macho-posturing.

Appartently much of the script was rewritten by Ed Norton, who stars as Bruce Banner. If true, then it's interesting that he wasnt even able to bring much life in his own character. Who is largely a cypher who spends much of the movie sullen or suffering. Ed Norton CAN be an engaing and interesting actor in some cases, but this is not one of them.

Bill Bixby proved that the character of Bruce Banner could be played with real pathos, as did Mark Ruffalo, who had a much smaller amount of screen time.

The rest of the cast doesnt fare much better, in roles you think they would be ideally suited for. William Hurt's General Ross isnt just unsymphatetic, he's boring. Roth's Blonsky get's almost zero characterization before turning into a dull CGI monster and Liv Tyler looks as great as ever, but plays an empty role.

Interesting that this early MCU films lacks the typical humor that has a hallmark of the brand. There are a few attempts but they mostly fall flat. (the "Hulk smash" line here doesnt have any of the impact that the same line has a few years later in The Avengers)

Speaking of the Hulk, the design obviously looks very different from the Ang Lee version. But the shade of green looks wrong, too dark. And the overly ripped design looks unappealing.

The effects, while decent arent quite up to the usual Marvel standard.

A very forgetable film, which is normal for Marvel, but I didnt have a lot of fun watching it either. Even less to then Thor 2.

The Incredible Hulk (2008)

A very forgetable film, which is normal for Marvel, but I didnt have a lot of fun watching it either. Even less to then Thor 2.

Hulk 2008 has some solid action scenes. I like it a lot, a lot more than Thor 2.

Iron Man (2008)

Released in the same year as The Incredible Hulk, and stylistically would form the basis of the modern Marvel film.

Looking at it now it's clear that the casting of Downey Jr. was a masterstroke that elevated both this film and the perception of this film, which was hailed as something of a masterpiece at the time. Signaling the maturity of the genre, together with The Dark Knight.

I dont think anyone believes that anymore, but what if left is a very effective, engaging and often very funny film.

Iron Man 2

On a script level, this film is an absolute mess. It basically features 3 different storylines all of which could serve as the main plot for a movie.

You have the Ivan Vanko storyline dealing with revenge, then there's the Justin Hammer storyline dealing with competition and finally the rivalry between Stark and Rhodes, which leads to betrayal and War Machine.

The problem is that all these 3 storylines have been given more or less equal prominence, and none of them have any depth. And to top it all off there's a whole section where the movie basically stops dead and Nick Fury turns up for 10 minutes of exposition, some of it sets up The Avengers, the rest will involve Tony Starks search for a new element (???)

The entire film seems like it's fabricated out of a whole bunch of spec scripts with very little to tie them together.

Furthermore, this film is very ostentatious and garish. It's like Rocky 4 crossed with Beverly Hills Cop 2. Loud, annoying, often too shallow, a lot of it barely makes sense as a whole.

But some of the components that make the whole do work rather well. Micky Rourke is delightful to watch chewing the scenery with a ridiculous accent and bizarro looks.

Sam Rockwell is good too as Justin Hammer, who plays the character as a sort of envious copy cat of Tony Stark.

The film has a few decent action scenes with the Monaco race being the best one. Excellent and Ubercool reveal of both the villain and the new Iron Man suit.

The film is so ridiculous and incoherent that at times it actually works in it's favor.

THIS BADASS SCENE AND HOT CHICK :rock:

scarlett-johansson-22915.jpg

My brother thinks IM2 is crap, I've always found it entertaining enough. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

Oh and this of course...

Scarlett-Johansson-Iron-Man-2-Production

SIMON-COWELL-HAPPY-GIF.gif

Captain America : The Winter Soldier - OK yes, the 'huge fight while everything explodes' ending is becoming over-used by Marvel movies. But this otherwise rolls along just fine, with excellent action sequences and a pleasing conspiracy-thriller element thanks to Robert Redford's slippery turn as Alexander Pierce.

The Winter Soldier's Trademark Marvel Ending isn't nearly as bad as Iron Man 3's or GOTG's

Yeah, i think so.

The only thing I can really remember from the second one are the couple of character-based scenes and the Howard Hughes-like courtroom hearing. Favreau clearly feels more comfortable with smaller stuff.

Karol

For me, the endings of Iron Man 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy where very, very long, and quite repetitive, with a lot of the same kinds of stuff happening over and over, and lot of CGI objects swirling around in the sky, lots of explosions, etc. By comparison when I saw Winter Soldier after those two, I thought the ending was much more unique and distinctive, and not nearly as drawn-out or repetitive.

Plus you cared about the characters more.

In Iron Man 3 it was a bunch of CGI empty iron man suits battling CGI random powered henchmen in the sky for what felt like ever. The most interesting part was when Pepper got powers, and that was too short lived

In Guardians of the Galaxy it was a bunch of poorly developed badguys trying to infiltrate this planet we barely know anything about, or whatever.

Meanwhile in Winter Soldier, the fact that Hydra had been embedded in SHIELD for decades was an interesting story and your really wanted Cap, Fury, and everyone else to beat them.