Original Star Wars trilogy on DVD this fall

Seth

Starwars.com has just put up an article about the release of the original, unaltered Star Wars trilogy on DVD. This sounds great-hopefully the scores will be intact and in great sound.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ought to make sci-fi fans the world over extremely ecstatic. I wonder how the picture quality will look.

The article is here.

It says it will have the original Dolby 2.0 audio. I wonder though if they'll be restored or just slapped onto DVD's to please a lot of you fanboys.

it's probably an old dirty print they'll slap on the DVD,so Lucas can say he was right to do the Special Editions

K.M.

I would think that surround sound just means anything that utilizes multi-channel output, so technically anything that is mixed for more then one speaker. Or to put it another way, any set up that broadcasts in more then one signal/dimension.

Tim

I might buy these, but only for nostalgic purposes.

Honestly, I prefer the revised editions. Better picture, better sound, better effects. In my mind it far outweighs the little alterations that people complain about.

2.0 surround is the same as Dolby Pro-Logic surround. It's a stereo-compatible surround sound format designed originally so studios only needed to make 1 print for surround, stereo and mono theaters.

There are 2 true channels of sound - a left channel and right channel (LT and RT). They are fed through a matrix-decoder built by Dolby that puts all material that appears in both channels and is IN PHASE in a center speaker. All material that is present in both channels but is OUT OF PHASE goes to a pair of rear surround speakers (the same signal goes to both rear surrounds, creating a mono surround track). Finally, a crossover circuit sends everything below a certain frequency to a subwoofer, creating a mock "boom" channel.

This is the system that was used for virtually every multiplex theater outside of LA, NY and other major cities for most of the 80s and a lot of the 90s, that is, until DTS and Dolby Digital came along. Before that, the only true discreet surround sound in theaters was done by locking the projector upto a multi-track playback unit that could playback 6-channel surround - but the sound was on an entirely different piece of material than the picture - so if the film broke, the projectionist had to repair the film and then BREAK the sound unit at the same spot and remove the same amount of frames to keep it in sync with the picture.

Anyhow, with a home-theater setup of the 21st century, you will have a surround-sound field created from a 2.0 Dolby mix. It just won't be a discreet 5.1 mix, but you'll still have sound coming out of the center channel speaker, and the surround speakers, and your subwoofer.

Hehehe, didn't Lucas say he would never release the originals? Didn't we (except for the most devoted followers who believe his every word) predict that he would change his mind after the completion of the "saga" and after he sold a gazillion DVDs of the butchered versions?

Didn't we (except for the most devoted followers who believe his every word) predict that he would change his mind after the completion of the "saga" and after he sold a gazillion DVDs of the butchered versions?

Oh, and you want to hear now how good and amazing you are?

Oh, and you want to hear now how good and amazing you are?

:? What an odd comment. It sounds like you are a true disciple, Roald.

No, I'm just a bit disappointed in Lucas. I thought he would wait a few years more before he would yield to "overwhelming demand".

I just bought that 3 DVD set that came out last year...and now this comes up,and oh,and it a limited release available for only 2 months so hurry up and make up your mind or you'll never see them again...

Next year will be the DVD set that fixes the outdated 1997 CGI shots of the Special Editions.

K.M.

What an odd comment. It sounds like you are a true disciple, Roald.

The idea that Lucas is regarded as some kind of deity, "worshipped" by legions of Star Wars fans is, for obvious reasons, something only the anti-Lucas core desperately WANTS to believe.

In reality; there is no such thing.

I love Lucas for what he has given to the world: the Star Wars Saga. But my appreciation kind of ends there.

I never doubted that the original trilogy would one day be released. NO Star Wars fan doubted that. I'm sure you don't visit any Star Wars messageboards do you? THEN you would know.

We cool now? :)

I asked about the surround sound becasue I want a cleaner film version of Lapti Nek. :-p

I figured they would do it eventually, but your right when you say it seems very soon.

They should have put a shit load of extras on it... not just the films in their various versions. That would have made sense when they originally released them... not so much now...

Oh well...

It seems Lucas needs regular money incomes every year, and Videogames are not enough.

I laugh at the limited edition thing. The original 204 release was also limited and for what they thought the sells would be, very limited. Here in Spain the release consisted of 200,000 copies, and a big department store wanted 150,000 for they own (they didin't get it obviously). What I mean is that they expected really huge sells and that didin't happen, since a year after thete were still many copies of the set in stores. Even the family pack (the 3 DVDs set) has been in the stores at the same time. So, don't make me laugh Lucasfilm, it will be in stores after Chistmas.

What an odd comment. It sounds like you are a true disciple, Roald.

The idea that Lucas is regarded as some kind of deity, "worshipped" by legions of Star Wars fans is, for obvious reasons, something only the anti-Lucas core desperately WANTS to believe.

In reality; there is no such thing.

I love Lucas for what he has given to the world: the Star Wars Saga. But my appreciation kind of ends there.

I never doubted that the original trilogy would one day be released. NO Star Wars fan doubted that. I'm sure you don't visit any Star Wars messageboards do you? THEN you would know.

We cool now? :)

I don't have to visit star wars boards. We have Luke Skywalker. :P

I hate to say this, as today we should be celebrating, but it seems the battle for a quality release of the original Star Wars on DVD has just begun.

Why?

Because these brand new DVDs will be using ancient video masters. Here's Jim Ward, of Lucasfilms, comment: "The original films' video quality will not match up to that of the restored versions. 'It is state of the art, as of 1993, and that's not as good as state of the art 2006,' Ward says." That quote can be found in this article from USA Today.

This confirms that they are using the old video masters used for the Laser Discs and VHS tapes, last released more than 10 years ago. Basically, every DVD that every fan on the web has ever made is as good as the product Lucasfilm will be releasing. These will be the official Lucasfilm "bootleg" editions, or maybe the "Infernal Creative Decision" edition.

I could curse. I could scream. But I'm going to take the high road. I'm going to inform everyone I know not to be suckered into buying these discs. I'm going to urge you all to do that too. I don't even think anyone should own them. Lucasfilm should not be rewarded for this amateur and sloppy decision. Lucasfilm doesn't respect our wishes, so lets not support them. I'm not advocating piracy and I don't think anyone should offer an alternate disc to prospective buyers. Education is the key here. Demonstrate what is going on with this release. Show that instead of investing and preserving a classic, Lucasfilm are instead resorting to the lowest common denominator in order to make a fast buck. Explain that these are being dumped off in a quick firesale, just before high definition home video becomes commonplace.

Neil

Luke Skywalker will say something about how the original trilogy doesn't suppose to look very good since camera lenses of the 70s aren't as sophisticated as modern ones. Then Roald will say, "That's a good point".

Alex

PS: And Stefancos will say, "Actually, I don't want them, I've grown to like the butchered versions.

I just bought that 3 DVD set that came out last year...and now this comes up,and oh,and it a limited release available for only 2 months so hurry up and make up your mind or you'll never see them again...

Next year will be the DVD set that fixes the outdated 1997 CGI shots of the Special Editions.

K.M.

September 12th to December 31st.

That's about 3 months not just 2 months. :)

It seems Lucasfilm continue to not practice what they preach in regards to sound and picture quality. No doubt these discs will receive the ever reliable THX seal of approval despite looking like a LaserDisc rip.

Luke Skywalker will say something about how the original trilogy doesn't suppose to look very good since camera lenses of the 70s aren't as sophisticated as modern ones. Then Roald will say, "That's a good point".

In that case, just consider the source.

Neil

Wait a minute; NOBODY has seen these releases yet! Gee, talk about super, ultra-nerddom!

Wait a minute; NOBODY has seen these releases yet! Gee, talk about super, ultra-nerddom!

What do mean? Shouldn't Neil post this information? Shut up and be happy? Is this what your Lucas stands for?

Neil can post whatever he wants. But in the end; it's just speculation at this moment. Can't we "destroy" these releases when people have actually seen them?!

And it's becoming more clear to me that when it comes to Star Wars/Lucas/Lucasfilm, etc., some people will NEVER be pleased...

But in the end; it's just speculation at this moment. Can't we "destroy" these releases when people have actually seen them?

So that's what it looks like when a Star Wars fan is clutching at straws ... :|

Seriously, though, when crap is announced, why should you assume it's not crappy at all just because you haven't bought that crap yet?

Announcing crap is actually there to save you from having to buy it.

Will I buy it? Probably, since I've never seen any other versions than the 2004 re- issues.

So that's what it looks like when a Star Wars fan is clutching at straws ...

??? Just objectively speaking: isn't it better to wait for the release before passing ANY judgement? Positive or negative.

There are those who use the term "fanboys" that might wanna look at themselves as well.

And Star Wars will still begin with A New Hope.... :roll:

I didn't use the term "fanboy", if you don't mind. Being a "fan" isn't a bad thing.

And how big do smileys have to get before you notice them?

Still; Mark has a valid point. I think the Lucas-bashers act a lot more "fanboyish" than Star Wars fans.

It's just three movies guys. If you want to own them I'm sure you can get a $2.99 bootleg version somewhere. I'll buy the official DVD in September. Then I will see.

Get over it.

Wait a second, what's so "fanboyish" about my post? I just pointed out the obvious. It's not like I overreacted and screamed in outrage because Master George doesn't do exactly what I want.

In fact, I don't want anything; I can live a normal life without the original original originals in crisp quality on my shelf.

But that doesn't mean it has to be so. Lucas just treats them with less care than the "revised" versions, and I think that can and should be pointed out. There's nothing fanboyish about that; it becomes fanboy talk when you're getting emotionally involved with the issue, but, well ...

These DVDs won't be what they could be, at least that anyone can see.

Get over it.

Well, I'm not really that interested in the original versions. But isn't kinda nice if the DVD's image quality isn't 100 % pristine? I guess if you restore too much, it eventually starts looking better than it did back in 1977 (although I never saw the movies in the cinema to compare). I supose if the DVD image quality and the sound are exactly the same they were back in 1977, I guess it is a nice release with a huge nostalgia factor.

McGuyver, I wasn't really referring to your post when I used the word "fanboyish".

Lucas just treats them with less care than the "revised" versions, and I think that can and should be pointed out.

Maybe it should also be pointed out that these are HIS films and he can do whatever he wants with them. Lame argument? Sure, but in the end the only truth...