Original Star Wars trilogy on DVD this fall

Seth

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But isn't kinda nice if the DVD's image quality isn't 100 % pristine?

No. Why do people think this? Do you personally want old films to look bad on video so you can be nostalgic about how it should look now, aged and weathered? When Superman - The Movie comes out just a few months after these discs, should I be upset because the 1978 film looks brand new? All movies when brought to home video should have some time and effort put into them to make them look as presentable as possible.

Neil

The movies could very possibly be released in the anamorphic format but will Lucas hold out for the 30th anniversary boxed set next year???

At this point I'm not buying DVD's any more.HD-DVD and Blue-ray willl be the standard next year.

K.M.

Lucas will probably present crappy versions of the originals and then after the "great" sales of these next releases he'll find pristine copies of the original films and slap them on DVD's.

I don't buy their B.S. about not having quality versions of the originals. On the doc that came with DVDs last year they show the original opening of Star Wars without the New Hope title and it looked pretty damn good to me.

All movies when brought to home video should have some time and effort put into them to make them look as presentable as possible.Neil

That's right! Every old film should get the 2001 treatment, profitable or not.

Allow me to copy my post from FSM's board--

Great news indeed, for all sorts of reasons-- historical value, stufy of the evolution, nostalgia, ...

The thing is, there is bound to be a mega 30th Anniversary box set next year. There cannot miss such an event. That is why I haven't bought any SW DVD, because I have always been certain of it: next year, there will be a set of all 6 episodes, with yet new extra features (and probably the old ones).

My hopes regarding such a set (besides a nice long feature devoted to John Williams) has always be they would eventually include the original versions in it-- what better time to?

Might this be why this new release is (so very) limited?

Or is is truly the only chance to get the original versions?

I'm not sure. I guess I will still wait, or maybe, just to be sure, wait for a bargain price. Still, I do think they can't let pass such an opportunity as the 30th Anniversary of the very first movie.

I am also sure this Anniversary set will be available as a regular DVD, not (exclusively) as a High Definition DVD, which relativly few people will have adopted by then.

As for the 2.0 mix, well, those die-hard original version fans should be happy: that's what they're getting. Besides, many complained about Jaws' 5.1 remix, for purity's sake.

For now it does look like they might be pulling a TPM UE on us, satisfying a demand at the lowest possible cost and effort.

That's how Lucasfilm does business.

Neil

If it turns out that the picture quality will be identical to the 1993 Laserdiscs that I already have then I cannot see any pressing reason for me to invest in this. (as Laserdiscs go, they look very good, but watching non anamorphic widescreen on a widescreen TV is a less then pleasurable experience)

The sound will actually be less good then then 1993 LD release, since that had a PCM soundtrack and not a (compressed) Dolby Digital mix.

At least there is one good thing to be said about this.

Neil is back!

Due to the Lucas' and new 'Luke Skywalker bashing', I'll just say that

The bootleg versions were put here as 'proof' to Lucasfilm as how the OT should have been released.

It seems they are below standard now.

See you all in the other threads.

LOL. How'd I know Neil was gonna be angry about this. His boy Tom Brennan over at the HTF is pulling the same stuff.

Look, there's a couple different interpretations of Ward's statement. It's way too early to definitively state what's going to happen with these transfers or not, and it's WAY too early to start calling for boycotts and running willy nilly all over the internet trying to pooh-pooh anyone thinking about buying this set. When there's more solid info, yeah, I can see the self-righteousness that Neil is known for rearing it's head and making it's presence felt, but as of right now, way too soon to start stomping on everyone's hopes in the name of eternal disappointment with Lucas.

Again, people aren't so much fans of Star Wars as they are fans of BITCHING about Star Wars, and this announcement reinforces that, as does Neil and Tom's immediate negativity towards an announcement a LOT of people have been clamoring for.

Yes, it's entirely possible they're just porting the laserdiscs. It's also entirely possible they're using the original elements from the 93 restoration and making a DVD out of THAT. It's also possible they've been working on this for quite a decent amount of time before it was announced, and if that's the case, then this rush job isn't THAT much of a rush job then, is it?

It's wait and see time. We have till September to see what this thing looks like, to start jumping at shadows and running with possibly skewed interpretations of a marketing mans patter is irresponsible at least. THEN Neil can go around like he did with the swapped surrounds and raise attention. But now? He literally DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT. None of us do. He's making a guess based on an interpretation of marketing patter and running like crazy with it.

Time to chill out and wait a minute.

Maybe it should also be pointed out that these are HIS films and he can do whatever he wants with them. Lame argument? Sure, but in the end the only truth...

In the end, all that matters is whether a release is good or not, not if the person in charge has the right to present them to us. You can slap a person that you don't like right in the face, but that doesn't mean it's the right decision.

Ironically enough, it's exactly the other way round when films are being evaluated by the general public. There, everything that matters is the product, not the right or the opinion of the filmmakers.

Now I can edit together a good version of each movie. I'll keep the good SE enhancements, but not the awful ones. Those are the ones I'm going to show my son. I'm also changing the music during the Jedi Temple march in ROTS (to the unused imperial march from ESB), and adding some music back in (like the Grievous fight on the bridge of the invisible hand).

HD-DVD and Blue-ray willl be the standard next year.

K.M.

But what will?

HD-DVD or Blue-ray?

Will this be like the VHS versus Betamax debacle?

Good reason to stay out for a while and let the dust settle.

John- not surprised at all the announcement has produced nothing but the usual sniping from the usual folks, and is joining Lord Ominus in the other threads

Guest macrea

I'm very sorry, but anyone who does not see the dark cloud surrounding this news is either naive or delusional.

I do not own any of the 6 Star Wars DVDs. Despite enjoying the scores, I don't care for the prequels. Nor do I care for the special edtions of the original trilogy. I know enough people who have all of the above to be able to borrow them if needed.

I want the original versions of the original trilogy and will buy these new releases for that reason. Even a laserdisc master ported over to DVD will look better than a homegrown DVD conversion or even the laserdisc itself.

But there is a problem here... these masters have existed for 13 years. If they are simply going to dump these 4x3 transfers with 2.0 sound onto a DVD, that means it will require very little time, expense, or trouble to do so. Plus, they are now putting them out on the same set as the 2004 DVD masters. So the first question is... why didn't they do this the first time? The only answer is MONEY.

The second question is why now? Again, the answer is MONEY. Let's say that HD-DVD were still two years away. You better believe that these releases would not be coming out now; they'd come out just as HD-DVD started appearing. This is happening now because if Lucas waits, he will miss out on the opportunity to make money on the standard DVD format before it disappears.

Is this good business? Abolutely. To make money without spending any is the key to capitalism. He's also isolated the market. ONLY people who care about the originals will buy this set. But Lucas also accomplishes other, more subtle goals.... Subliminally the inferior quality will make the originals seem less preferable to the average viewer. In this subtle way he will continue to promote the tinkered-with, sloppily-done re-dos that conform to his prequels as his "preferred" version. At the same time he will send this clear message to the fans who made him a multi-millionaire: he doesn't care about us.

Speaking for myself, someone with indelible memories of multiple pre-S/E theatrical viewings, I will continue to enjoy them as a slight improvement over the LD until the next time they are released... which WILL happen down the road in the HD format, perhaps just as IT'S about to disappear. You can be sure of that. But hopefully by then it will be more than a simple up-res to HD. Hopefully it will be a new transfer with the original Dolby mix properly repurposed for 5.1 discrete.

Such a transfer is possible right now, by the way. Don't believe any stories about elements not existing. It was pointed out by Robert Harris at the Home Theater Forum that YCM separations are available and could have/should have been used in 1997. It would have cost a lot, but at least Star Wars wouldn't have looked blue and faded. But there is a bright side... those elements were not chopped up to make the S/E; instead they remain as they were produced in 1977 awaiting a time when someone will do the right thing and preserve one of the most successful films of all time in the form in which that success was achieved. That's all some of us are asking for.

Had these old masters been included on the 2004 set, that decision would have earned my respect and I would have bought it. But this news... I'm glad it's coming out, glad that I don't own the previous set... but there is a bitter aftertaste. We have been tossed a bone, nothing more. But I'll enjoy it anyway.

I'd maybe buy Star Wars and that's it.I don't really need the originals of ESB and RotJ.Nothing really bothers me on ESB S.E. except Vader boarding the Executor at the end and Lapti Nek and Ewok Celebration suck as much as the new songs.

K.M.

ESB is still quite fine, Vader boardint the Executor doesnt bother me one bit. I still prefer Wingreen's voice though. As for Lapti Nek, its not even a quarter as disgusting as Jedi Rocks, nor is it in the foreground.

What can I say. Am I happy to have the originals? Yes. Did I ever expect them to be released? No. LFL openly advertised in '95 that that would be the last time to own the originals, and frankly I'm a little disappointed with them for going back on their word. The original films are out there; not on the popular video format of the day, but they are out there. If we do make it to a high-def format in the forseeable future, which I doubt we will for a good decade or two; at best, if one format even wins, it'll be the new laserdisc at best and the new Divx at worst...but anyway, if we do get to HD, fans will again complain that the originals aren't available on the latest format.

Fans will complain. In fact, it's not really even fair to call them fans. To be a fan means you love something, and so many people only love to hate Star Wars.

Am I the only one here who:

A) likes buying things

and

B) Likes when creative people make lots of money

?

When I hear people stating that it is bad that Lucas will make more money - or that we will have to buy the Star Wars OT in its new format, it sounds coocoo.

Nobody has to buy it. But I will. And then I will also buy the Blu Rays. And I will especially buy them again if they give a Williams a chance to fix the prequel tracking.

Am I the only one here who:

A) likes buying things

and

B) Likes when creative people make lots of money

?

When I hear people stating that it is bad that Lucas will make more money - or that we will have to buy the Star Wars OT in its new format, it sounds coocoo.

Nobody has to buy it. But I will. And then I will also buy the Blu Rays. And I will especially buy them again if they give a Williams a chance to fix the prequel tracking.

I completely agree. I also get tired of people saying Lucas is a "money-hogger" he aint no money hogger. He runs a sucessful business. If you people think he's a money hogger than that's your loss.

By the way you're not the only one here who likes buying things and likes seeing creative people make money.

Hell I've re-boughten all 3 Prequel soundtracks at least 3 times over now including the U.E. for TPM. Same goes for the original Trilogy soundtracks. As far as the movies go I'd always buy them and buy any newer versions that come out because I like to see the changes being made and what not. That doesn't bother me in the least bit.

If you want to say that I'm throwing my money away by supporting Lucas well you're right about one thing. I am supporting Lucas (I will ALWAYS support George Lucas) but I aint throwing my money away. To me I'm buying what I choose and to me it is worth it.

To the whiny people who care complaining about this 4 words for you: DO NOT BUY IT! Quit ruining it for those who are going to buy it and enjoy the movies for what they are JUST MOVIES.

These movies are something for us to sit and watch and entertain us. Not something to bitch about because something was changed or something wasn't right or to over-analyze them. They're not a part of our daily lives.

This bitch-fest towards Lucas and the way how he runs his business and the way how he makes changes to HIS OWN MOVIES is quite fracking pathetic and got old a LONG time ago (no pun intended).

I personally can agree with what you're saying.

But what bothers me atleast, is that I have pride in what I do. When I make a complete score, I try to make it the best damn sounding DVD rip/ most Complete score out there, with all kind of goodies... source music, sound effect libraries, little notes about the tracks--if you had my hard copy versions, you'd see I'd done that.

I try my hardest not to package crap and then--if I legally could--sell it.

The problem I have with these and I think as many others do, is that we don't want to buy crap.

I have no problem spending money, although I'm not made of money.

I have no quarlles about creative people making money, although I don't approve of gouging or extortion.

Geroge Lucas--although not the first and certainly not the last--practices these.

If you want to something something star wars, because it says "Star Wars," you've gotta pay top dollar.

Then, if you wanna buy just this, you can't. You gotta buy this and this and this with it--which ups the anty.

So you're stuck with 15 copies of A, just so you can have a copy of A, B, C, and D paying extra each time for that thing which you already have which I think, as probably many others do, isn't exactly very nice of him.

Then you have the fact that these are the original originals. As many of us have expressed, we fear them being packaged crap--no less.

I don't want to be "forced"--no pun intended--to pay top dollar, for 1 thing I already have, to get another thing which is just Luke-warm --no pun intended-- shit on a stick.

True, no one is Forcing me to buy them... but if I want the real trilogy--the ORIGINAL original trilogy--LEGALLY--as so many of you here are sticklers about... I've got to buy it this way...

And frankly, as I said, I have pride in what I do and what I share... and from what we're hearing, this doesn't seem to be something GL really has his heart in or cares about us, as the consumer, enough to have his heart in.

That's probably GL's biggest flaw as a person: he can't seem to relate or understand others.

Prime example: The prequals. Most people said they were pure shit. WHy? because they'd lost the charm and magic of the originals. WHy? Becuase Geroge wasn't making them for the fans: he was making them for himself. --not saying it's right or wrong, just saying it as it is--

Then you have people like the actors he's worked with saying that he doesn't understand the acting process.

"It's right there! On the page! Just do what is written." as Harrison Ford described his temper.

Then on top of this, in his last Star Wars interviews he said how he was done, through with the star wars saga and was moving on...

All this together makes me fearfull for this release. True, we don't know enough about it yet... But from what I'm hearing, I'm not entirely impressed.

I was actually trying to calm the topic down... we're getting pretty defencive in here... just trying to find that medium where we can agree upon and cool down...

... although something tells me you're quoting a movie...

This is the most hilarious thread EVER. Seriously; every post in here reeks nerddom.

I'll wait until September.

LOL

I'll wait longer than September - I'm tired of spending money on the latest version of the original trilogy. I think I have 3 versions of the original trilogy (2 on VHS, and 1 on DVD). Too bad these didn't come out on DVD before I bought the special editions.

I'm more excited about Star Wars Lego II game that will be released the same day.

:mrgreen:

Why? Do you have kids?

I suppose they can play it when I'm finished with it.

You know guys; we eat food every day that is known to cause cancer. Wouldn't it be more worthy to inform people on that?

It just 3 movies. If I want to buy them; so what? I already have a dad to tell me right from wrong. I don't need all the superiority in here to lecture me on what I can and cannot purchase. Get a life.

And stop portaying Lucas as some kind of criminal. He has achieved things we can only dream of. Don't like his merchandising methods? Just walk away from it. It's easy.

And why don't you all get of your lazy asses in the proces. What are you guys doing anyway? Sitting behind a computer the whole day, trying to block out the fact that your "influence" doesn't go any further than on an Internet messageboard? Why not create your own Epic Saga? Set up numberous companies, become rich and all?

My point: despite Lucas' obscure merchandising tactics, the man has actually given the world something to enjoy.

While here, people think they're the new Fox Mulder or something... Trying to "prove" the deeper conspiracies of Lucasfilm. Again; get-a-life.

What are you guys doing anyway? Sitting behind a computer the whole day

Roald I actually do sit behind a PC all day....... :mrgreen:

Well at least until I get home from work.

I can see it now...everyone waits with baited breath for the next movie to be churned out of Roaldfilm Ltd. Rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

I'm sure we'll be suckered into buying multiple versions of GOMP.

But Roald (despite himself) has a point, I don't need anyone to tell me wether or not to buy these releases.

I'll simply wait untill more information becomes available, then I will make a descision.

I'll simply wait untill more information becomes available, then I will make a decision.

Can I get that in writing please?

All hail Stefancos for his wisdom..... :mrgreen:

Seriously if you people actually believe I listen to you for advice on things.....sheeesh