Original Star Wars trilogy on DVD this fall

Seth

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who in the world had even the faintest doubt that such a release will happen next year?

I seriously doubt though that this gargantuan set will feature restored theatrical versions. Lucas will just shove even more stuff into the already existing Special Editions, and eventually Episodes I-III.

I don't even have to think twice about it, really.

Thank god that Lucas at least recalls the September- DVDs on December 31st, so that this disgrace doesn't exist in Star Wars' 30th anniversary year anymore.

Well, I hate it, but I will probably be buying these. But they'd better have:

Deleted scenes for all the films (which they supposedly will)

Return of the Ewok (complete)

The Making of Star Wars (1977)

From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga (1985)

From Star Wars to Star Wars: The Story of Industrial Light & Magic (1999)

And all those other behind-the-scenes, making-of bits that haven't been collected on other DVDs yet.

Oh, and please, release all the Droids and Ewoks cartoons already! 3 seasons of animation. How hard can that be?

From thedigitalbits.
there will be LOTS of new, never-before-seen special features - all the good stuff that was held back by Lucasfilm from the original Trilogy DVD release a few years ago. Think deleted scenes and more.

Figures.

- Marc, who was quite puzzled when there weren't any deleted scenes on the 2004 set.

More specifically, it was released before Episode III so they could start the hype train for RotS with it. Why do you think they put a behind-the-scenes preview on it? Hype, baby, hype!

If the theatrical versions are on that set, I'm 99% certain they won't have new transfers. Why bother? Enough people will buy whatever crap Lucas releases, I doubt he'll put much effort into it.

Just wait Lucas will replace TESB and ROTJ Yoda with a CGI model.

TPM one is a no brainer because they have a scene from TPM on the ROTS bonus material that features a CGI Yoda replacing the puppet.

The cash machine continues....:music:

I could have sworn on the Episode II feturette, they say they replaced Yoda in Episode I to proove to George they could/should do it for Episode II and III... it wasn't intended for a theatrical release but as a way to proove that the technology is evolved enough...

But I guess it seems they're gonna release it with him as a CG creture... although,I do remember in Episode I they say that because they had Ahmed Best in a lot of the footage...and only had to replace his head and hears and such... they got better, more realistic performances ... not to mention a good lighting reference... I'd imagine doing so with the YOda puppet would be a similar thing...

It cut down on the time it took, they said, by like 50%

The guys from ILM said they would never mess with Yoda from the OT since it's perfect the way it is.

Wasn't that just one guy saying he wouldn't do that? :)

:music: The Miracle (Elmer Bernstein)

I could have sworn on the Episode II feturette, they say they replaced Yoda in Episode I

No they tested it with ESB Yoda. I think in some doccumentary an early version of the CGI yoda can be seen in dagobah with luke.

I hope at least EP I yoda is replaced.

I hope no changes are made. These films should be shown how they were originally made, the so-called "mistakes" are just as much a part of the film as anything else. If Lucas wants these films to be perfect, he might as well just give us blank DVDs - nothing's perfect, there'll always be "improvements" to be made.

The EP I Yoda is from a doc from EP III and it was the test for the new facial features and other new things of Yoda for ROTS, i think.

Lucas should release a original vision in anamorphic (using the cleaned version made for the SEs pre-CGI adding), and his CGIed vision.

You can't ask more restoring than that for the old versions since the guy doesnt believe in them anymore, and rather spend his money improving the new versions.

At that time for the ROTS document the CG Yoda was a test yes but as we know now it's been offically confirmed that Yoda is getting the CG replacement for TPM. Which I for one am glad for...that puppet always made me cringe every time I saw it. I hope to that TPM gets a new digital transfer (which I think it will).

There are some shots of the Yoda CGI, specially in ROTS where he looks exactly like ESB and/or JEDI. and since he is not fighting he moves as the old puppet.

TPM Yoda is not alike yoda except when seen from the sides. Fornt shots look like another alien from the same species. And as a puppet it's so advanced, that the ESB one is nothing in compared to it.

So where is the similarity?

As far as i can tell, only Frank Oz's voice...

I thought the digital Yoda from Revenge of the Sith was actually a great improvement over the one in Attack of the Clones.

There are some shots of the Yoda CGI, specially in ROTS where he looks exactly like ESB and/or JEDI. and since he is not fighting he moves as the old puppet.

TPM Yoda is not alike yoda except when seen from the sides. Fornt shots look like another alien from the same species. And as a puppet it's so advanced, that the ESB one is nothing in compared to it.

Are you saying that the puppet-work in The Phantom Menace was better than in The Empire Strikes Back? Frank Oz's work in The Empire Strikes back will never be surpasses. Yoda's performance in that film is absolutely superb. Nothing in any of the other movies compares.

Ted

Are you saying that the puppet-work in The Phantom Menace was better than in The Empire Strikes Back? Frank Oz's work in The Empire Strikes back will never be surpasses. Yoda's performance in that film is absolutely superb. Nothing in any of the other movies compares.

Ted

No, im saying that the puppet, as a robot, is more advanced in TPM.

TPM didnt had much Oz's performance for that matter since i think he did not move the puppet with his hands as the old one.

As far as I'm concerned, CG Yoda will never surpass puppet Yoda no matter how real looking or advanced it is. Yoda in ESB was nothing short of amazing.

Rabbit--who liked the puppet from TPM

From thedigitalbits.
there will be LOTS of new, never-before-seen special features - all the good stuff that was held back by Lucasfilm from the original Trilogy DVD release a few years ago. Think deleted scenes and more.

Figures.

- Marc, who was quite puzzled when there weren't any deleted scenes on the 2004 set.

That is what Netflix is for. Why buy the same movies over and over again?

Well, on the Yoda matter, some screenshots:

The only shot of Yoda from TPM that resembles the old puppet:

TPM.jpg

ROTS Yoda's that resemble the old puppet vey well:

ROTS.jpg

ROTS2.jpg

Compare the last one with this ROTJ Yoda pic:

ROTJ.jpg

And now, any of those look similar to this?:

TPM2.jpg

I rather have this:

Click

the CG yoda looks like a cg.

piss poor as usual.

I wonder who will be stupid enough to waste money on this shit.

The problem with the TPM puppet is not the look of Yoda perse (although he DOES look weird). The problem is that it simply a poorly made puppet! Even Rick Baker commented on the lack of quality of the puppet. I have no problems with Freeborn's puppet in ESB (or ROTJ - although the lightning could have been better). Yet the puppet from TPM is, well, awful.

To get off Yoda for a short time, the official site has put up a set of 122 images showing all the changes. I never knew the film was tinkered with to the extent that it was. I was aware of the major things, but all the detail work completely escaped my attention until this morning.

Puppets always have more life than CGI - because they're operated by humans. The Yoda puppet is Frank Oz's hand acting, and Franz Oz's hand has more "life" than a computer will ever have. ;)

Because it's CGI instead of good ole fashioned model work, which by the way won an Oscar if I'm not mistaken.

Well if the prequels have lost SFX against movies that did old fashioned model work i would concede the truth in that, but since it was for CGI driven movies too...

Luke I think you are trying to make a point, but its not coming across.

the Prequels never wowed me like Star Wars or the Empires Strikes Back did!

TPM deserved the Oscar over the Matrix, but AOTC deserved no awards, and revenge of the shit deserved an award for way too many effects in place of story.

The puppet looked more like TESB Yoda then the CGI Yoda ever did.

Ah, the irrational bitterness that is your trademark continues. Personally, I found the CG Yoda to be much more convincing than the TPM Yoda, and dare I say it, maybe even the puppet Yoda. I am usually dead set against CGI overtaking real things, but I begrudgingly admit that I don't care either way. We all obviously love the old Yoda, but I don't feel a new CG Yoda would look all that different, considering how realistic ROTS Yoda looked.