Lady in the Water - First Listen

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds terrific to me. The music in these soundclips is better than the music in any other score this year. I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Ted

Excellent, just as my JNH fanboyism led me to expect. With not much else on the horizon, I think this score has a good shot at winning the oscar this year.

what is the release date, and I can't wait to make a cdr and remove the vile sounds of bob dylan.

I keep listening to the samples...

And I think this one will break the dry-spell of outstanding scores we've been having. Hopefully, it won't be a one time thing this year.

I can't wait to make a cdr and remove the vile sounds of bob dylan.

You bet I'll be doing this too!

4 songs! We could have had 20 minutes more of music!

:music:

Sounds like all of his other stuff. Very pretty and very nice but with repeating piano phrases over and over again. I might buy it might not.

I think this one will break the dry-spell...

:jump:

The Lady in the Water breaks the dry-spell!

Neil

Somebody finally got it! LOL :music:

It's only funny when you don't admit to it being a joke.

Neil

Why?

I won't be making a CD-R but it's highly unlikely that I'll be ripping any of the Dylan songs. Can't wait for the score either, those clips are driving me crazy; the rhythm from The Great Eatlon is incredible and I can't get the piano motif from End Credits out of my head now.

Peter Pan improves when you see the film - it worked for me with the slightly slapstick and comicness of the movie. Not my favourite score of his though, that honour goes to Snow Falling on Cedars.

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad, not bad at all.

The Dylan songs are performed by other artists. So if you can't stand Dylan's voice you don't have anything to worry about.

They're still not great and I dislike the fact that the End titles track crossfades into the first of the four songs making it sound abrupt if one wants to make their own CDr copy of the score sans Dylan songs...Not great soundtrack arranging IMO. And I would have preferred 10 more minutes of original score since it appears as though Howard recorded 70 + minutes and we only get 42 minutes.

Wow, sounds terrific. From everything I've read about and heard from the score, I have no doubt that Howard's really going to deliver with this one. I just wish the suite they recorded was on the album, instead of those songs.

Ray Barnsbury

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the film this afternoon. Needless to say, I'm ordering the CD online right now. ;)

Ozzel - whose current JNH collection consists of...King Kong.

EDIT: Typo.

Yes, I rather enjoyed it.

I only saw the teaser; I avoided the trailer as much as a could. So I didn't really know what to expect. I think my main problem was I just had a little trouble suspending disbelief at first. Once I finally realized what kind of story it was, it was okay.

My other complaint is (spoilers) the kid. It seemed like it was made blantantly obvious that he was the ...what was it called, symbolist?...when he was first commenting on his cereal box. Then were "told" that it's his dad. So I completely forgot about it after that...until later on, when they all realized it wasn't the dad. At that point I thought "well, duh!".

Otherwise, I really liked it. Beautiful score. I can't wait to hear it again!

Ozzel - whose current JNH collection consits of...King Kong.

Don't feel bad. My entire JNH collection consists of......The Fugitive (which is a Japan pressing with Japanese liner notes at that)

;)

Just saw the film... and I agree with probably the majority of the masses. Despite a few good parts, and the fact that I like Paul Giamatti, this movie was a load of cr@p to me. Shyamalan's worst by several light years.

And I was paying attention to how the music worked, particularly during the final sequences. I can definitely say I was expecting more visually, such is the quality of the music during the finale, which was thankfuly (due to the power of associations) utterly forgettable.

Shyamalan - direct someone else's script. You've lost it ;)

PS - it should be fairly obvious what my favourite JNH score is :) (hint: <---------------- )