Minority Report OST

Damo

What do you think of Minority Report OST?  

56 members have voted

1. 1.

• Very Good
    • It's okay.
    • Not as good as I thought i was.
    • Other thoughts?

I just recently got Minority Report OST album for my birthday and yeah I thought it was pretty good. I reckon the track called Anderton's Great Escape is one of best track out of all...followed by:

Minority Report

"Can You See?"

Spyders

What do you think of it?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but happy errr late b-day?

Yeah thanks. My birthday was last thursday. I got the Minority Report OST album on my birthday with a few other presents such as two DVD movies and CD case to put my music CDs in it. I'll also be getting myself an iPod I just got enough money to buy one...which I hopefully go to a mac shop sometime during next week.

I voted "Very Good" because there wasn't a "Astonishingly Good" category.....

One of his best of all time, and almost certainly my most-played JW CD.

I absolutely adore many tracks, but I do believe you have to see the film to appreciate it much.

I put together an anti-$cientology propaganda video for youtube (I know -- ironic -- it's a Cruise film) underscored by the aptly titled "Psychic Truth & Finale" but I couldn't submit due to obvious copyright infringements.

I love the twisted buildup, (0:48 then 2:39), the interjection of the faux-calm of the woman's voice representing Agatha's mother (2:18), and then the frenzy of the finale (2:55 onwards, and esp. 6:18-6:33) and the resolution where the culprit tragically surrenders (6:42). In a way, it's much like the "Finale" track from Azkaban, just longer. Really haunting stuff.

Very good indeed. But loud speakers/headphones are a must 8O

at least you admited it was propaganda

I love the score. I wish there were more released. I dunno what it is about the score. It's very dark, and nastalgic. It has that 1930's cop mystery feel but it is distinctively modern and I love the film... another masterpiece along with AI I believe... in that same vein as well...

I don't listen to it very often in full.

I'd say it's okay. Works very well in the film. But I think that there's one think that Williams cannot do very well and it's atmospheric suspense music. Herrmann wouldn't be that proud.

Karol

I absolutely adore many tracks, but I do believe you have to see the film to appreciate it much.

I put together an anti-$cientology propaganda video for youtube underscored by the aptly titled "Psychic Truth & Finale" but I couldn't submit due to obvious copyright infringements.

I love the twisted buildup, (esp. between 0:48 and 1:10), the interjection of the faux-calm of the woman's voice representing Agatha's mother, and then the frenzy of the finale and the resolution. It's much like "Finale" track from Azkaban. Really haunting stuff.

Very good indeed.

Just listening to Psychic Truth & Finale right now and yeah it does sound like haunting stuff. Is there any good unreleased cues?

8O

I think the Minority Report OST is very good. One of the most played of My favourite tracks are (in no particular order):

Everybody Runs, Spyders, Sean's theme, Anderton's Great Escape, Psychic Truth and Finale and the End Credits (aka Minority Report). Truly an outstanding score. I love Williams' dark side 8O

It's John Williams Meets Bernard Herrmann, and that's not bad in my book. 8O

It's one of my favourite post-TPM Williams scores (probably my favourite until Memoirs of a Geisha came along), and it has some fantastic action cues.

That vocal part that keeps on appearing in some of tracks plays the same exactly thing...like some repetition....does it represent like a theme for a particular thing or what?

The vocals appear whenever Agatha has visions of Anne Lively. So it's kind of "echo of the past" theme (o fate theme, for that matter).

Karol

And it was actually Spielberg's idea to represent Anne Lively through this vocal theme. Now there is a good example of collaboration between a director and a composer. Fruitful exchange of ideas.

And it was actually Spielberg's idea to represent Anne Lively through this vocal theme.

Probably after he saw Gladiator...

Yeah he is a huge Zimmer fan isn't he 8O

Spielberg and Williams knows each so well enough to have their dreams come true...

I there a homoerotic subtext in this post? 8O

Karol

No. I meant that they have a very strong relationship and that they work very well together when spielberg makes a movie while as williams does the music for it. Spielberg has stated that John Williams had made his dream come true in his movies when it comes to music.

Minority Report is a weak score, to an somewhat intersting movie that grows weaker with each viewing.

Spielberg and Williams knows each so well enough to have their dreams come true...

I there a homoerotic subtext in this post? 8O

Karol

No. I meant that they have a very strong relationship and that they work very well together when spielberg makes a movie while as williams does the music for it. Spielberg has stated that John Williams had made his dream come true in his movies when it comes to music.

All right, stop trying to over-explain yourself. Or maybe you're hiding something...

I find the movie grows stronger with each viewing. I discovered the climax/death scenario makes no sense, much like the whole concept anyway, but I find everything else is knit together very well.

I think it is a very good score that requires viewing of the film to fully appreciate. I really enjoy the rhythmic drive that so much of score contains, and the lyrical writing is beautiful. I don't find it to be an autopilot score at all and it is obvious that Williams put more time into and was inspired more by this film than Attack of the Clones. But I can't blame him for that.

I voted "Very Good" because there wasn't a "Astonishingly Good" category.....

One of his best of all time, and almost certainly my most-played JW CD.

I agree 100%, although I don't know if it's my most-played JW CD.

I actually wrote a glowing review of it on amazon.com (by Yoshinori Todo in Vienna, Austria) so you might wanna check that out (I'm a little embarrassed by it now, but what the hell -- I was young and impressionable). I'm still bowled over by Everybody Runs, Sean's Theme, and Anderton's Great Escape.

More recently, I've come to appreciate the first minute (exactly) from the first Track Minority Report -- this has got to be some of the most spectacular pieces JW has ever written. I love the way it begins quietly, then the melancholy trumpet solo at 0:10 until the basson and chello take over at 0:28, and how the music gets gradually louder until the whole orchestra plays that dramatic Crime Motif.

Really stunning stuff -- one of my all-time favorite moments.

8O

Minority Report is a weak score, to an somewhat intersting movie that grows weaker with each viewing.
I find the movie grows stronger with each viewing. I discovered the climax/death scenario makes no sense, much like the whole concept anyway, but I find everything else is knit together very well.

The problem that MR has is with it's genre. Mystery movies or detective stories in general are, in their very essence, the most metaphysical genres, because they state that there is order in the world and the truth is recogizable. And Spielberg's film is to inconsistent and illogical to be a great mystery movie. But it manages to be enjoyable and is generally well made, so it doesn't hurt it that much.

As for the score. It doesn't have a real personality of its own so it won't become a classic. But this is a problem with all Spielberg films lately. They just don't offer Williams anything challenging. I wish they (S & W) didn't play as safe as they did with the music. I would like Williams to work with DePalma or someone like that. But still I am amazed how precise and detailed the score appears when heard with the film.

Karol

It is a good score since it works well with the picture and has some good moments while listening to the cd. Nevertheless, it will never be high on my personal JW chart (even that of this decade). I just don't enjoy it so much.

I love the way it begins quietly, then the melancholy trumpet solo at 0:10 until the basson and chello take over at 0:28

Just so you know - it's a doubled flute and trumpet 8O. I believe the flute reduces the overt brassness of the trumpet, giving it this unusual, foreign-sounding mildness to the quality of the combined tone.

Omg is Williams clapping out the beat at 0:29 or is it the bassoon's keys clunking? Haha...

I'd say it's okay. Works very well in the film. But I think that there's one think that Williams cannot do very well and it's atmospheric suspense music. Herrmann wouldn't be that proud.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I would like Williams to work with DePalma or someone like that.

Yeah, I wish someone like Williams, Goldsmith, Horner, Poledouris or Bernstein had scored Scarface. That was one incredible film hindered by an overall crappy score by Giorgio Moroder.

Williams + DePalma = The Fury

I actually enjoy Minority Report, both film and score although the film's ending was weak. Frankly it should have ended when Anderton was arrested and "stored".

One of my favorite cues is "Anderton's Great Escape" which features some of Williams' solid action scoring.

"Sean's Theme" is another lovely piece by JW followed and some of my other favorite cues are "Spyder's", "Everybody Runs" and "Eye-Dentiscan".

Kate Capshaw was much better looking than Amy Irving.

I actually enjoy Minority Report, both film and score although the film's ending was weak. Frankly it should have ended when Anderton was arrested and "stored".

But then we wouldn't know who killed Anne Lively.

Kate Capshaw was much better looking than Amy Irving.

Like hell she was. :(

Um, to all those of you who say the film is unrealistic, maybe you should do som research.

This is based on an actual case study where a large group of people were used to study the human minds ability to tell the future, especially towards murders and crime, in the DC Area...

Scary thing?

It worked. It lowered the crime rate.

So the film has some basis in reality, they simply honed it down and made it slightly fantastical... like any film will do.

I see nothing wrong with the film. They all did their homework. The cops use weapons that are on the cutting edge of police machinery... They used a the concepts of synthetic drugs and Precognicence... Black market...

I see nothing wrong with the film. The ending confused me at first, but it works. It was the third option that Tom's character hadn't accounted for... It prooved that "We have a choice" once we know our future.

The music is both haunting and beautiful, while dark and nastalgic. I don't see the flaws you allare complaining about. I want to watch this movie again now just to see how good it is again.

Perhaps the only flaw is Colin Ferrel (can't stand the man). But his cockyness and such really do make his character unlikeable, even though he's a good guy...so I guess it's a good choice still...

But anyways... I think that they're both great... I love the dark, brooding, yet mournfull score. It also has it's humor moments like when he drops his eye.But again, it's what I think...

Anyone else have a substantial amount of studio noise in their recording?I'm thinking that aybe mine is just maybe from when I saved the cd... maybe it had scratches and my program tried to clean them up, leaving strange noises... or is it something everyone has?

Perhaps the only flaw is Colin Ferrel (can't stand the man). But his cockyness and such really do make his character unlikeable, even though he's a good guy...so I guess it's a good choice still...

We're not supposed to like the character, are we?

He's a good guy, yes, but the character isn't exactly a friendly one. I don't like Farrel much either, but I think he played the part just right.

His long fingernails didn't help either.

Um, to all those of you who say the film is unrealistic, maybe you should do som research.

This is based on an actual case study where a large group of people were used to study the human minds ability to tell the future, especially towards murders and crime, in the DC Area...

Scary thing?

It worked. It lowered the crime rate.

So the film has some basis in reality, they simply honed it down and made it slightly fantastical... like any film will do.

I see nothing wrong with the film. They all did their homework. The cops use weapons that are on the cutting edge of police machinery... They used a the concepts of synthetic drugs and Precognicence... Black market...

I see nothing wrong with the film. The ending confused me at first, but it works. It was the third option that Tom's character hadn't accounted for... It prooved that "We have a choice" once we know our future.

I have no problem with the overall idea and I wasn't confused at all when I first saw it. But the film suffers from many plot holes. Example? How can Anderton enter precrime headquarters using his own eyeballs when he's the most wanted person around? It wasn't a bait, because thay were surprised when he appeared. How could Burgess predict that his actions will push Anderton to murder? Why did he left Anderton's eyeballs in the box for his wife to use when he clearly knew that she suspects something? An finally, didn't he realise that if he didn't do anything to set up his friend no one would have noticed the whole thing at all? He's the father of the precrime, for god's sakes!. And there's much more!

Karol

We're not supposed to like the character, are we?

He's a good guy, yes, but the character isn't exactly a friendly one. I don't like Farrel much either, but I think he played the part just right.

You should have read on. I went on to say that it wasn't a bad idea because his real life arrogance makes him unlikeable in the film and we suspect him of being to blame, but he ends up not being a bad guy... so like I said, its a good decision, even though it's using him.

I guess as far as the plot holes went, I had accepted those problems as having explanations you just have to think about them a bit I guess...

You should have read on. I went on to say that it wasn't a bad idea because his real life arrogance makes him unlikeable in the film and we suspect him of being to blame, but he ends up not being a bad guy... so like I said, its a good decision, even though it's using him.

That's what I meant as well, so I guess we're agreeing on this. :(

I guess as far as the plot holes went, I had accepted those problems as having explanations you just have to think about them a bit I guess...

So could you please answer these questions? I would be very thankful. And support the answers with the examples from the film, which lead you to your conclusions. Maybe they could help me appreciate this film even more.

:( E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

Karol