Headphones

bob23

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All of this god-damned technology, and the world's most detailed, accurate, and all around headphone is still available for $20 and lifetime replacement for $9:

https://koss.com/products/ksc75

Koss was a genius (duh, he invented stereophonic). RIP. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2021/12/22/koss-corp-founder-john-c-koss-who-created-stereophone-has-died/8999903002/

Beware... BEWARE!!!!

Headphones made for mixing and mastering tend to add more "details" to the sound, making all the elements more distinct from each other.

It's cool, it have a purpose... but that's not necessarily what we want for a good day-to-day listening experience.

Just ordered a pair of Hifiman Ananda. From the reviews I watched and read, it seems like a great headphone for orchestral stuff. It should be a good complement for my Ifi Zen DAC V2/Zen can stack. 

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

Beware... BEWARE!!!!

Headphones made for mixing and mastering tend to add more "details" to the sound, making all the elements more distinct from each other.

It's cool, it have a purpose... but that's not necessarily what we want for a good day-to-day listening experience.

Well, I think it's just a matter of preference, because ideally, these type of headphones do not add anything to the music, they just present the music the way it was recorded and mixed, without coloring the sound in any way. But this also heavily depends on the DAC. I see why you might prefer a more fuzzy sound though, sounding closer to loudspeakers.

grafik.png

grafik.png

I use Sennheiser HD650s now for 7 years and I still love them! Just replaced the earpads and the cable. Bought an RME ADI-2 DAC FS (https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-dac.html) as DAC and Headphone amplifier two weeks ago and its truly phenomenal. It brings up details I never noticed before and the instruments got nice plasticity. I noticed especially in the high-end and bass, how everything became much more clean, while maintaining the weight and definition.

If you like to change the sound to your liking, it has built in 5-band parametric EQ, additionally to the normal bass/treble buttons and 5 different crossfeed options for loudspeaker emulation. Can highly recommend this little box :D

This might be the opposite listening experience you seem to prefer Bespin ;), because it's so linear and resolving. But I like it, especially instrument placement in the room and details I missed out on before. :music:

The Sennheiser HD 650 are a very good choice.

image.png

Here are the specs of my 99 Classics, they are very balanced too :

image.png

Both are top five stars recommendations on https://www.lesnumeriques.com

Most music today is referenced with AirPods as part of the mixing iterations.

The recording engineer might use some fancy detailed headphones for the original mix, but then they go put in some AirPods to see how it sounds there and tune it accordingly. 

Why? Because 9 people have Sennheiser HD400s and a billion have AirPods. 

For Christmas my boyfriend bought me the following:

Monolith by Monoprice THX AAA Balanced Headphone Amplifier featuring THX  AAA 887 Technology - Monoprice.com

RME ADI-2 DAC FS 2-Channel DA Converter | Guitar Center

to go along with my headphones that I've had for a few years.

Sennheiser HD600 review | TechRadar

but now that I have the dac and amp I really want a pair of balanced 800s

Sennheiser HD800S review | What Hi-Fi?

If anyone has these can you let me know if you consider them worth the price?

The HD 800? Seems the best of the range.

• Very comfortable, especially in the ears
  • The sound is placed in front of the head and not inside like many helmets
  • Great clarity, more than the former leader of the Sennheiser range, the HD 650

3 hours ago, Indianagirl said:

For Christmas my boyfriend bought me the following:

He bought you two headphone amps? 

For the money, the RME is one of the best, or so I've heard.

The RME has an Extreme-Power headphone output to drive 300 ohms headphones like the HD600s or HD650 I have. Depending on the music, -22dB is already loud as hell.

Unbenannt.jpg

On 18/01/2022 at 9:15 AM, AC1 said:

That's odd, the RME should be more than capable to drive 300 Ohm headphones. I love to have one but I can't seem to spend that kind of money for a DAC/AMP.

I decided to invest the money because I only listen to music on headphones (also in the foreseeable future) and wanted the best quality possible below 1000€, to improve the sound of my HD650s. Now if something is distorted, it's the headphones, haha. Hopefully this little box will last for the next 20 years at least.

• 2 months later...

I went to the music store to buy the Rode NTH-100 headphones but went home with something much, much better (and more expensive):

1642248079695.jpg

The Ollo S4R recording headphones. It's the best one I ever had. Pretty flat but not boring. I can't hear any flaws in the frequency response. Acoustic noise canceling is pretty good as well. 

1627462507158.jpg

PS: Please don't believe the overly positive reviews for the Rode headphones, which has to be the most hyped pair of headphones at the moment. The bass is considerably bumped up and the treble is cut. They are extremely comfortable though ...

Seems very good ones.

Here's what I found about the comparison of those with my Meze 99 Classics: "Concerning the sound reproduction, the Meze 99 Classics is warmer, when the Ollo Audio S4R remains more faithful to the recordings. "

That's exactly what I wanted. In a way they are like my Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speakers. They sound very natural. You don't hear or listen to the headphones, you just hear the music and it's impressive. 

• 4 weeks later...

No, but I have the older Quietcomfort 25 (with conventional AAA battery) which I once bought (second-hand) because of heavy demolition/construction works next door. It saved my life.

17043-13329153.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I'll be soon in the market for headphones and sound cables that don't suck

I can't recommend this brand enough.  I used the wired version.  They feel great, the sound is unreal.  And the price point is great for the quality.

wired:  https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/ath-m50x

wireless:  https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/headphones/best-for/everyday-listening/ath-m50xbt2

• 1 month later...

What would you guys recommend for wireless headphones for under 100 €? I'm just looking for a good, solid choice, that doesn't break the bank and make my working day all the more pleasant

They have to be wireless, my work requires me to be getting up and walking around and crouching on the floor all day long. Wireless would just much more convenient

3 hours ago, Romão said:

They have to be wireless, my work requires me to be getting up and walking around and crouching on the floor all day long. Wireless would just much more convenient

In my experience, you don't want to cheap out on wireless headphones. But if it's just for work, you'll prob be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I needed bluetooth headphones for my new Saloon (Bespin's Saloon), but I didn't want to pay too much, it's only to watch TV, not to listen lossless music...

So I found those, in my price range... and it's not total scrap, though.

Sony WH-CH510 Wireless On-Ear Headphones, Black (WHCH510/B)

image.png

image.png

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why wouldn't you just watch TV... through speakers?

Here's the Top 3 of my husband's favourite quotes :

1. "OMG! You listen to very strange music!"
  2. "OMG! You watch very strange movies!"
  3. "OMG! The 'thing' you were listening yesterday was very INTENSE, no?"

:lol: