Headphones

bob23

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can relate to all that!

I keep telling you, you listen me more, you live longer.

Mariage is great... but you need a good pair of headphones or a perfectly isolated office!

:lol:

I just much prefer the sound enveloping the room I'm in rather than only coming out of a thing attached to my head.  Somehow it should be more immersive but for me it usually isn't. Maybe it's because I don't have wireless headphones and have to deal with weird cable issues?

But with bluetooth headphones, isn't there a delay so the dialogue doesn't quite match the character's mouth movements?  That would drive me nuts...

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

But with bluetooth headphones, isn't there a delay so the dialogue doesn't quite match the character's mouth movements?  That would drive me nuts...

In 2022, you can set a delay in milliseconds on the video side to correct that issue, Jay.

Oh, I forgot this famous quote from my husband:

"Oh, you listen to Star Wars... AGAIN?"

(He still thinks there is only 3 movies, and when I try to say to him that... anyway, he quickly answer : "Well it's always the same music!")

ROTFLMAO

Actually, it's a setting I have on my brand new BR player, not on my TV.

But the "latency" is a very important spec you have to check when you buy  bluetooth headphones. So I did.

If it takes two days to have the sound, it's a problem! :P

It's not "headphone" related, but I'm very proud of that little 1Mii gadget I just purchased.

Finally, I'll use it in my office, not in my new Saloon.

No more wires needed from my computer to my "old school" speakers, and no more wires needed from my phone to those same speakers.

The gadget I purchased as a "Transmitter", I'll finally use it as a "Receiver". It's versatile (like me :tmi:). And it can handle two Bluetooth sources at the same time!

Plus It have that great vintage look, I love it!

Great purchase!

image.png

So your old school speakers are wired to that, and then it presents itself as bluetooth speakers to your computer and your phone?

That's pretty cool.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

So your old school speakers are wired to that, and then it presents itself as bluetooth speakers to your computer and your phone?

That's pretty cool.

Exactly.

And I think I did my homeworks well so I think that little gadget is pretty high standard in term of quality, as a sort of DAC.

12 feet 3,5 mm male-to-male wire to sell!

I thought transitioning to bluetooth headphones would be great but it seems the frequency used by bluetooth is interfering with wifi frequencies and there is no easy solution. Bluetooth headphones make my iPad's network connection unbearably slow. Damn you Apple for getting rid of the headphone jack!

• 2 weeks later...

After one week of existence, my new Bespin's saloon is no more wireless.

It's impossible to perfectly sync the video signal sent to the TV, using an HDMI cable, with the Bluetooth audio signal sent directly from the BR player to wireless headphones.

And well, even on paper this principle doesn't work... hehe.

So I'm back to my good Meze headphones with a wire.

I'll use my new wireless pair of headphones for when I'll do the chores in the house or when I walk outside instead.

20220820_101940.jpg

On 7/8/2022 at 10:05 PM, Bespin said:

It's not "headphone" related, but I'm very proud of that little 1Mii gadget I just purchased.

Finally, I'll use it in my office, not in my new Saloon.

No more wires needed from my computer to my "old school" speakers, and no more wires needed from my phone to those same speakers.

The gadget I purchased as a "Transmitter", I'll finally use it as a "Receiver". It's versatile (like me :tmi:). And it can handle two Bluetooth sources at the same time!

Plus It have that great vintage look, I love it!

Great purchase!

image.png

I have an old Google device, Chromecast Audio that if I'm not mistaken does much the same thing. Works great. Though I don't believe it's Bluetooth based, it just works with apps that you can use Chromecast with.

• 1 month later...

Trying this here. Are there any headphones or programs for Windows that allow you to adjust frequencies on individual channels? I'm trying to boost the high frequencies on the right since my eardrum never fully healed.

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Trying this here. Are there any headphones or programs for Windows that allow you to adjust frequencies on individual channels? I'm trying to boost the high frequencies on the right since my eardrum never fully healed.

It's feasible, but not dynamical I think, you'll have to tweak your own FLAC or WAV files in a software like Audacity.

I think that's cool!

I don't think I hear at the same volume both ears, I got used not to ear the music at the "exact" center of the specter using headphones. I'm near 50, I know my hearing has changed and that's perfectly normal.

Try not to focus on that, but tweak your files if it can help you to concentrate on the music.

1 minute ago, Roll the Bones said:

Considering my android phone has something for that, I would assume there is something out there for Windows.

Having a setting for the right channel and a different one for the left?

Yeah I'm really surprised I haven't found it. I have dozens of equalizer settings here, but you can only turn them on for both channels orn ot at all.

I'm trying to enjoy the music and I know I shouldn't focus on the hearing too much, but it does drive me up the walls sometimes. I mean, I'm 29, not 92. Fucking eardrum. And nobody knows why it partly burst in the first place.

On 20/08/2022 at 10:28 AM, Bespin said:

After one week of existence, my new Bespin's saloon is no more wireless.

It's impossible to perfectly sync the video signal sent to the TV, using an HDMI cable, with the Bluetooth audio signal sent directly from the BR player to wireless headphones.

And well, even on paper this principle doesn't work... hehe.

So I'm back to my good Meze headphones with a wire.

I'll use my new wireless pair of headphones for when I'll do the chores in the house or when I walk outside instead.

20220820_101940.jpg

So I'm just dipping in here because I'm finally in the market for new 'phones, is Meze a good starting point to look at?

I'm still very satisfied with them and they became my "main" headphones. It's really to listen inside your home, you can't really walk with them, because they issue little mechanical sounds.

It depends on your needs, but for me, as I listen to pop and classical music, I always look for balance. I'm not really into "studio" headphones which seems to be preferred by some members of this forum. I don't want to ear music like a technician (who have to hear all the little details above all, the goods and the bads...), but as a music lover.

And I'm not ready to pay higher for headphones than what I've paid for my Meze 99 Classics, that's my limit.

I think I'm basically in the same camp as you in terms of what I need out of headphones. I looked up the site and clicked the first one on the list by accident and that was a scary number...but I was thinking more in the range of what the 99 Classics cost.

The headphones I use the most (the ones I keep in my office at work) are indeed studio headphones.  I'm not sure if I would say I prefer this style, but it's worked fine for me the last couple of years.  Since they're just for when I'm sitting in my office I didn't need to shell out for wireless.

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/headphones/best-for/studio/ath-m40x

On 26/09/2022 at 1:42 PM, Disco Stu said:

The headphones I use the most (the ones I keep in my office at work) are indeed studio headphones.  I'm not sure if I would say I prefer this style, but it's worked fine for me the last couple of years.  Since they're just for when I'm sitting in my office I didn't need to shell out for wireless.

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/headphones/best-for/studio/ath-m40x

Again.  Audio Technica is still your best bang for your buck + longevity+ quality.

I still can't believe they are as affordable as they are.

I just read a review on lesnumeriques.com that says the M50X are great indeed (4/5 for audio comparing to 5/5 for the Meze 99 Classics). They say they are "monitoring" headphones known to be particularly great for... electro and hip-hop... :P

USB-C headphones are a possibility in the future. But I like the position of 3.5mm jacks on the side. Oh, and you can use it and charge the device at the same time!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What do you smart people think about noise-canceling headphones?

Specifically for my wife, who has some long flights coming up and wants a good pair to drown out everything

Do you really have to spend $300+ to get good ones that work well, or are there some cheaper options that actually aren't too bad?

Or just in general, anybody here have a pair they really like?

On 21/02/2023 at 3:29 PM, Clockwork Angel said:

AFAIK the music isn't altered?

Yes, some frequencies are dynamically added to the music, to "hide" the outside noise. I call that an alteration.

Your opinion on how noise cancelling technology works is noted, now I'd ask you to let other people answer my original question please!

Anybody have any recommendations?

I was asking for JWFan's specific own recommendations from their own experiences, not someone to google things for me

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I was asking for JWFan's specific own recommendations from their own experiences, not someone to google things for me

I'm only familiar with the Bose QC25 (mine) and the Sony 1000XM3 (my son). Good for traveling, for construction works next door, people talking somewhere in the house when you are watching a movie. Sony XM3 has too much bass but you can EQ that with the app. Bose has a pleasant sound (no true sub bass or anything above 15 kHz) right out of the box and is king when it comes to comfort. Today both Bose and Sony have newer editions but I never heard them. I supppose the main update is that they are even better at cancelling noise. 

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh shit that sale on the QC25 looks nice, thank you! 

Are you sure it's the QC25 and not the QC35 or the QC45? Those are the more up-to-date models with rechargeable battery and bluetooth. I forgot to mention that. The old QC25 had a AAA battery (I like that) and no bluetooth. 

I have a pair of Sony WH-1000XM2 noise cancelling headphones and am very happy with them. I don't find the noise cancelling to alter the music in any perceptible way although I'm sure it does. Listening to music on an airplane is in any case not an optimal environment, so an acceptable trade off I feel.

image.png

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/wh-1000xm2/review

Looks like you gotta spend $300 for good noise canceling headphones.

There's refurbished ones for cheaper, but who wants to wear used headphones?