James Newton Howard thread

JNH's NIGHTCRAWLER (recorded in NYC, surprisingly) now has a tracklist attached:

1. Nightcrawler

2. Lou’s Inspired

3. Driving at Night

4. Sell the Bike

5. Loder Crashes

6. KWLA

7. The First Accident

8. Day to Night

9. Pictures on the Fridge

10. The First Night

11. Entering the House

12. Edit on the Hood

13. Lou and Rick on a Roll

14. Driving at Night, Again

15. Waiting

16. Mount Wilson

17. The Wrong Way

18. Watching the House Footage

19. Lou’s Philosophy

20. Making the News

21. Search for the Plate

22. The Newscast

23. Moving the Body

24. Chinatown Express

25. Nina and Frank

26. The Shootout

27. Lou’s Free

28. If It Bleeds It Leads

I expect nothing, to be honest (genre fatigue), so only good things can come of this.

Samples are available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O4FH0LY/ref=as_sl_pc_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wag&tag=filmusrep-20

Yeah it's definitely not a bland score. There's actual thought in it.

So was I. Pity, would have been nice to have met you!

What days were you there? I just saw this again and remembered that I thought I saw someone who vaguely looked like the vague idea I have of what you look like.

There's actual thought in most scores - whether it translates into interesting music is another thing.

This sounds a bit like Newman's recent material - big on atmosphere, and low on melody.

So was I. Pity, would have been nice to have met you!

What days were you there? I just saw this again and remembered that I thought I saw someone who vaguely looked like the vague idea I have of what you look like.

I was there on the Friday and Saturday of opening weekend. And then came back again on the following Tuesday.

TIFF wasn't as interesting this year. The New York festival's lineup has more to offer. And I'd go to that, if school wasn't in the way...

Next time, let's plan things out ;)

Has anyone heard LLL's EYE FOR AN EYE? I expect total blandsville but maybe one or two good cues?

I haven't heard the album release (I actually wasn't aware that it got one), but as heard in the film it's one of my favorite JNH scores.

JNH's NIGHTCRAWLER (recorded in NYC, surprisingly) now has a tracklist attached:

1. Nightcrawler

2. Lou’s Inspired

3. Driving at Night

4. Sell the Bike

5. Loder Crashes

6. KWLA

7. The First Accident

8. Day to Night

9. Pictures on the Fridge

10. The First Night

11. Entering the House

12. Edit on the Hood

13. Lou and Rick on a Roll

14. Driving at Night, Again

15. Waiting

16. Mount Wilson

17. The Wrong Way

18. Watching the House Footage

19. Lou’s Philosophy

20. Making the News

21. Search for the Plate

22. The Newscast

23. Moving the Body

24. Chinatown Express

25. Nina and Frank

26. The Shootout

27. Lou’s Free

28. If It Bleeds It Leads

I expect nothing, to be honest (genre fatigue), so only good things can come of this.

Samples are available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O4FH0LY/ref=as_sl_pc_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wag&tag=filmusrep-20

Sounds interesting. The individual track brevity worries me though.

I'd say it's the widespread inability of board members to grasp anything that dares a half step beyond easily recognizable adventure music patterns.

I prefer whole steps to half steps. ;)

What you prefer we all know: Another spin of the fucking BOOK THIEF!!

;)

Ah, I'll let the soothing Romantic maudling melodicism to lull me into sweet sense of security and warm feeling of contentment. The world is harsh enough without the music making my ears bleed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is interesting. I guess he'll be passing on his knowledge, and doing some more concerts. I hope this isn't a sign of him wanting to step back a little from Composing.

http://www.themiamihurricane.com/2015/04/15/oscar-nominated-composer-named-artistic-director-of-henry-mancini-institute/

• 1 month later...

JNH's NIGHTCRAWLER (recorded in NYC, surprisingly)

I saw the movie, but I didn't see any NYC studios credited. The orchestral sessions, including the clarinet solos, were performed by the London Philharmonia. Conducted by Allan Wilson.

Kind of odd. Taking a position in Miami doesn't exactly demonstrate great eagerness to stay in the active Hollywood circle.

Terrence Blanchard still composed while working there, so it's not impossible for JNH to still score films during the duration of his time in Miami. He'll probably have to do more SourceConnect sessions though.

...and Terrence Blanchard is an example of a consistently active A-list composer?

I used Blanchard as an example of a composer still working from time-to-time while teaching. I can see JNH just doing films with directors he's worked with previously, like Francis Lawrence and Dan Gilroy, and no more last-minute gigs like King Kong or The Hunger Games.

With JNH starting his new career January 2016, I guess that means he's not working on The Huntsman. ;(

• 2 months later...

A nice recent radio show talking about JNH and playing some of his greats:

http://m.wabe.org/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F#mobile/79861

At the end they mention upcoming projects and they say something called 'Solar Storm.' ?? Never heard of it. I looked it up and it looks like some B-Movie disaster flick like 'Into The Storm.' And funnily enough under the music credits on IMDB it lists JNH as Composer and Brian Tyler as co-composer. Someone must be playing a joke surely...

• 2 months later...

Parts of Snow White & The Huntsman had glorious potential, but didn't meet it. Hopefully JNH will lay off the sound design and electronics the second go-round.

Pretty nice (as always). Howard started by saying that he rarely talks about his work, and doesn't have much to say, only to end up with lots of anecdotes and insights into his work with Shyamalan (who he's saying is going through a dry spell now but he has no doubt that he'll find his voice again and make a comeback), Zimmer and others. He presented a few themes (Pretty Woman, Sixth Sense and Signs) on the piano - he actually would have showed several film clips with and without music, but they got corrupted while sending them and all he had left were those with music. He has a refreshingly dry humour.

Bellis, by the way, briefly talked about striping and how he thinks it's an unfortunate development and knows nobody (among composers, recordings engineers etc.) who likes it or wants to do it, yet it keeps happening because clueless producers request it.

Looking forward to tomorrow's concert.

22007409419_4defe704bb.jpg

22194261355_c2bac655eb.jpg

Also, they just opened a new recording hall in Vienna and spent the last few days doing some test recordings with Conrad Pope and Dennis Sands. Both were impressed, calling it one of the best recording halls in Europe, on the same level as Abbey Road. And apparently the orchestra was up to shape, too. They see a realistic chance that Vienna will become a major location for Hollywood recordings over the next few years.

I just hope I can find out how to get in through a side door if that happens.

So Bellis doesn't know Zimmer or Morricone or Powell, just three examples of composers who do choose to stripe for actual artistic reasons, not because producers tell them to, and have all done so recently?

When he's not channeling Zimmer, he can be downright dull. Hunger Games 3 for example, I barely noticed any score when I saw it a few months ago, but I love The Hanging Tree.

His notes on the Wyatt Earp release suggest he's deliberately moved away from a melodic approach. Big mistake.

Part of Maleficent were good - I found about a half hour to be enjoyable.

I did enjoy Nightcrawler though. I think a film viewing is required to fully appreciate it though.

And the award for the most pointless conversation of the week goes to.............................those discussing if James Newton Howard is good or not.

Next on the agenda is; "Was John Williams that guy who did those Star Wars Films?" and of course "Does Alexandre Desplat have French roots?"

And the award for the most pointless conversation of the week goes to.............................those discussing if James Newton Howard is good or not.

Next on the agenda is; "Was John Williams that guy who did those Star Wars Films?" and of course "Does Alexandre Desplat have French roots?"

JNH is "decent". He's "dependable". He's a very "nice guy".