The OFFICIAL Quantum of Solace Thread

Hey, don't knock Eric Serra.

Seriously. The score to Goldeneye may be, well, quirky, but I've always enjoyed the music in that film. Unlike the Arnold scores which sound like Barry-goes-techno, the Serra score is refreshingly original. I admire its purity.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because there are better looking cars out there.

How can you not love Aston Martin? It's the only Euro car that looks great. I would die if I could own a DB9.

Are you saying that there are no good looking Ferraris?

Or Lambourghini's? Or Jaguars? Or BMW's? Or Mercedes Benz? Every Euro car is better than an American car.

No. They're mostly ugly. I generally hate the tiny, bubbly Euro style. I dislike Ferrari, but not as much as I hate BMW and Benz. Jags are okay I guess. I'm weird like that. :rolleyes:

Come back, John Barry! If John Williams can do another Indy score, you can do another Bond score!

Sadly, Barry seems to be preety happy on his retirement and I belive that franchise would be the last thing he would want to leave it for. I am happy with Arnold, though his scores are far from being perfect.

Hybrids are more polluting then petrol cars, actually.

This is, um, not true.

Who cares? I myself am kind of tired of all this "green" crap, and I'm sort of an environmentalist. Drive what you want, it's not like the amount from our cars is going to spiral us into the apocalypse.

• 2 months later...

Instrumentally the theme sounds fine to me. Then I found a link over at IMDB to a leaked portion of the actual song with White and Keyes singing.

:eek2::folder::flush::down: :down: :P :P :(:o

What the heck happened?

Instrumentally the theme sounds fine to me. Then I found a link over at IMDB to a leaked portion of the actual song with White and Keyes singing.

What the heck happened?

What's wrong with it?

Your face...

I just listened to the clip, it is pretty bad. The guitar doesn't sound like a guitar, and the duet parts are bad. It should have just been Alicia Keys, I have no problem with her beautiful voice. The beat and just all the noise doesn't sound like James Bond to me.

I just realized something. A lot of you here are strictly traditional scores and hate everything modern, while I'm not necessarily opposite but definitely not the same. I am this exact way when it comes to lyrical music. If it's past the 70's, 90% chance it's crap.

I agree it's close to complete, bland crap, but neither do I want songs like Tomorrow Never Dies or The World Is Not Enough; they sound like they want to be updated Bond songs, but in the end sound like pastiches who couldn't let go of the 60s.

And I don't even want to talk about the DAD disaster that had nothing at all to do with James Bond.

I find the song - or the short part I listened to - fine. I don't get why so many people bash it. The same was 2 years ago with Cornell's song and now it's one of the favourite of many... including me. It's certainly sounds better than some of the other Bond songs available. On the other hand, I am not on cloud nine with this one and I expected it to be something ... better. However, I still look forward to hearing it full and in good quality.

What the heck happened?

What's wrong with it?

I'm still reserving judgement until I hear a full, good quality version but this "sample" shows there might not be much to look forward to. I thought this was going to be a really dramatic duet between two good artists, instead it sounds like they're trying to see who can screech louder than the other. There is no observable melody to the way they are singing which dissapoints me the most. After You Know My Name, I thought we were going to get another solid Bond song, but instead we get this?

I loved Cornell's from the get-go, listened to the Quantum of Solace instrumental which I thought was neat at times, and now molested my ears by listening to the bootlegged one with vocals. I'll refrain from further derision until I hear the actual official track though.

You guys are lucky to hear the vocal version. I don't really like the instrumental, but I'm still curious to hear something on it other than a Coke version.

THat's pretty cool that Arnold is playing the guitar part of the Bond theme. Going above and beyond.

EDIT:

Wow, I just listened to it and....yikes. Both of them sound terrible, and at least Keyes is a good singer usually, and the music sounds like it's trying too hard.

And how hard is it to create a melody these days? THis thing has no real rhythm. It's....plodding along.

Should've let Arnold write it.

I heard it's BBC Radio 1 world premier. The text message feedback the station received was mainly negative, but in contrast, I liked it. It has a modern funky sound with a wicked baseline - pure Bond and almost reminiscent of the bassy energetics employed by John Barry, back in the day.

I suspect most here will HATE it, but I reckon it'll be a grower, especially if the opening credits graphics match up to it as well as I expect them to. This is a very modern Bond song.

Well I suppose there are worse songs in Bond's history. Let's just hope we get a really good title sequence.