Will JW write for Harry Potter Anymore?

oboale

Williams couldn´t have penned anything as unimaginative or mediocre (or worse) as the themes you´d want him to reprise even if he tried. Thank God.

America, the Dream Goes On

That theme is quite good,it's the lyrics that make it sound gay.I'm still waitng for an orchestral only recording

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams couldn´t have penned anything as unimaginative or mediocre (or worse) as the themes you´d want him to reprise even if he tried. Thank God.

Did he save your puppy from meeting an 18 wheeler, or do you just blindly adore everything the man writes?

I feel bad for Hooper. He did a good job (much better than Doyle), and he's lined up for the sixth one. Why would they let him continue to score if they didn't think he was capable of doing the 7th? It's pretty rude to sign him just to fill the gap until Wiliams can return. I doubt Williams will be back.

Maybe Williams knows who is planning to direct the last film and that person has asked Williams to be involved. With the exception of Cuaron who was supposedly contractually obligated to use Williams, I think the choice of composer has been made by each film's director.

Did he save your puppy from meeting an 18 wheeler, or do you just blindly adore everything the man writes?

Likewise, you seem to go out of your way to be the rebel that doesn't like the scores everybody "blindly adores." Williams should reprise "Possession" ... Why?

Likewise, you seem to go out of your way to be the rebel that doesn't like the scores everybody "blindly adores."

What?

Are you becoming so obsessive a fan girl--err boy, that my having said N*Sync and Backstreet Boys--um...I mean Sorcerer's Stone and Goblet of Fire can be considered on par makes me a rebel to you? :)

Williams should reprise "Possession" ... Why?

This has already been explained, the possession concept lingers right into the 7th book, and it would be an extremely classy gesture on the part of Williams to utilize the themes of his comrades.

And if they were indeed as mediocre as they were to some, then perhaps being the divine creature that he is, he can improve them.

That's all I said, and the rabid hounds are pounding me with being a rebel and continuing their bashing of anything not Williams. Grow up.

wilijonrb9.jpg

I believe a "case in point" is necessary.

Are you becoming so obsessive a fan girl--err boy, that my having said N*Sync and Backstreet Boys--um...I mean Sorcerer's Stone and Goblet of Fire can be considered on par makes me a rebel to you?
Grow up.

Indeed.

Ray Barnsbury

I simply think that the thematic material offered by Doyle and Hooper is uninteresting, unimpressive, and a waste of time for a better composer.

This is not ´fanboyism´, but simply a matter of distinguishing between better or worse material.

I am no follower of film music per se, and find little pleasure, or professional satisfaction (as a composer) in the work of current film composers, with a small, small handful of exceptions. Williams is a great composer, not just a great film composer. Doyle and Hooper are, in my opinion, mediocre talents, and I am not very interested in what they do, and I would think it insulting for Williams to have to work with any material of theirs. I know I would.

I simply think that the thematic material offered by Doyle and Hooper is uninteresting, unimpressive, and a waste of time for a better composer.

This is not ´fanboyism´, but simply a matter of distinguishing between better or worse material.

I am no follower of film music per se, and find little pleasure, or professional satisfaction (as a composer) in the work of current film composers, with a small, small handful of exceptions. Williams is a great composer, not just a great film composer. Doyle and Hooper are, in my opinion, mediocre talents, and I am not very interested in what they do, and I would think it insulting for Williams to have to work with any material of theirs. I know I would.

Period. So much truth in those words.

Are you becoming so obsessive a fan girl--err boy, that my having said N*Sync and Backstreet Boys--um...I mean Sorcerer's Stone and Goblet of Fire can be considered on par makes me a rebel to you? :)

I'm a girl, huh? Well, I had sex with your mother last night. Oh!

Williams should reprise "Possession" ... Why?

This has already been explained, the possession concept lingers right into the 7th book, and it would be an extremely classy gesture on the part of Williams to utilize the themes of his comrades.

True, and it would also be classy for the director of Deathly Hallows to end the film with an awards ceremony and towering applause for Hagrid. It would be a nice homage to original director Chris Columbus, get it?

That said, I could never think as little of the fourth and fifth Potter scores as I do of the ending of Chamber of Secrets. At some points they are very good. However, they are heavily specialized for their films (at least, Goblet of Fire is; most of Order of the Phoenix is just dull and doesn't mean anything). There's nothing tantamount to Hedwig's theme in these scores. If Williams tries to incorporate all these themes, his score will end up as a ragged patchwork. It would be like getting that kid who played Colin Creevey to come back for a three-second scene in Deathly Hallows. Sometimes details have to be excluded for the sake of a sequel's pace and identity.

I'm a girl, huh? Well, I had sex with your mother last night. Oh!

Touché!

Wait you're a lesbian!? :)

That said, I could never think as little of the fourth and fifth Potter scores as I do of the ending of Chamber of Secrets. At some points they are very good. However, they are heavily specialized for their films (at least, Goblet of Fire is; most of Order of the Phoenix is just dull and doesn't mean anything). There's nothing tantamount to Hedwig's theme in these scores. If Williams tries to incorporate all these themes, his score will end up as a ragged patchwork. It would be like getting that kid who played Colin Creevey to come back for a three-second scene in Deathly Hallows. Sometimes details have to be excluded for the sake of a sequel's pace and identity.

I think he could pull it off. If he tried. It's a tough balancing act, but this is the man who brought us Empire Strikes Back. Though that was a long time ago.

I think all of Hooper's themes are fantastic, but the only one that I think could REALLY really sound good in Hallows would be a very quiet, almost unaudible version of Umbridge's theme, just right when they first see her in the Ministry of Magic. Using the rest of them just wouldn't fit...I mean, the only time the D.A. is really important is during the battle of Hogwarts, and while their theme suited the montage is was written for, that cheerful tune wouldn't fit a gory, epic battle scene. Hooper's a great composer, it's just none of his themes would really fit in Hallows (except Umbridge's). I don't really like Doyle's themes, and I doubt those will be used at all.

If the director for a harry potter film gets to pick his/her composer, then..

GET SPIELBERG TO DIRECT AND WE WON"T HAVE A PROBLEM.

lol. Also, Spielberg would absolutely NAIL Harry Potter.

Doyle and Hooper are, in my opinion, mediocre talents, and I am not very interested in what they do, and I would think it insulting for Williams to have to work with any material of theirs. I know I would.

I respect your opinion but can't help thinking what utter nonsense you speak! I find it hard to believe that you think Doyle is a mediocre talent, is it jealousy perhaps? Are you actually familiar with his works or, like most here, just familiar with 1 or 2 of his scores?

Doyle and Hooper are, in my opinion, mediocre talents, and I am not very interested in what they do, and I would think it insulting for Williams to have to work with any material of theirs. I know I would.

I respect your opinion but can't help thinking what utter nonsense you speak! I find it hard to believe that you think Doyle is a mediocre talent, is it jealousy perhaps? Are you actually familiar with his works or, like most here, just familiar with 1 or 2 of his scores?

Forgive me if my opinion then offends, but I actually don´t think Doyle is more than a mediocre talent. In the world of film music, he still compares favorably to many (and I have heard quite an amount of his output), but unfortunately to me, that bespeaks more the general lack of skill, taste and talent in present day film music, than the abundant presence of such in the work of Doyle.

I completely respect your opinion of Doyle, but I don´t share it, and by my standards, Doyle is a limited and unexciting composer.

Forgive me if my opinion then offends, but I actually don´t think Doyle is more than a mediocre talent. In the world of film music, he still compares favorably to many (and I have heard quite an amount of his output), but unfortunately to me, that bespeaks more the general lack of skill, taste and talent in present day film music, than the abundant presence of such in the work of Doyle.

I completely respect your opinion of Doyle, but I don´t share it, and by my standards, Doyle is a limited and unexciting composer.

But this is why I can't understand your reasoning. The fundamental basis of music is melody and Doyle posseses a wonderful gift for the latter, one that is unique and not by any means akin to present day film music of the generally noisy MV team.

We are obviously not going to agree but I urge you to PM me so that I can at least try and furnish you with his output as perhaps you are only familiar with his admittedly poor scores, of which there are quite a few.

You did not answer his question, now did you?
O.K., I will. The answer is: "No, I am not jealous." :P
Forgive me if my opinion then offends, but I actually don´t think Doyle is more than a mediocre talent. In the world of film music, he still compares favorably to many (and I have heard quite an amount of his output), but unfortunately to me, that bespeaks more the general lack of skill, taste and talent in present day film music, than the abundant presence of such in the work of Doyle.I completely respect your opinion of Doyle, but I don´t share it, and by my standards, Doyle is a limited and unexciting composer.
But this is why I can't understand your reasoning. The fundamental basis of music is melody and Doyle posseses a wonderful gift for the latter, one that is unique and not by any means akin to present day film music of the generally noisy MV team.We are obviously not going to agree but I urge you to PM me so that I can at least try and furnish you with his output as perhaps you are only familiar with his admittedly poor scores, of which there are quite a few.
Thank you, mahler3, for you enthusiasm! ;) I would be very curious to hear the works of his that you think would display his melodic gifts most poignantly (being a melodically inclined composer myself).As I´ve said, I´ve heard quite a lot of Doyle´s scores, and even some of his songs (Shakespeare settings), and to me, his melodies sound very "pop-ish", and were what I´d consider fairly bland, but I would love to stand corrected, of course.

I think all of Hooper's themes are fantastic, but the only one that I think could REALLY really sound good in Hallows would be a very quiet, almost unaudible version of Umbridge's theme, just right when they first see her in the Ministry of Magic.

Hooper pumped so much sweetness and unbridled enthusiasm into that theme that it's nearly impossible to use the theme in any other, more subdued, mysterious setting.

I always find it amusing when people argue whether it's insulting or not to call some composers less talented than others. That's just nature, neither does everybody have the same talent, nor can everybody accquire the musical talents of Williams' calibre by studying.

Doyle and Hooper *are* inferior to Williams; that doesn't make their efforts bad, even if I think they are in large parts, it just makes them inferior.

I think all of Hooper's themes are fantastic, but the only one that I think could REALLY really sound good in Hallows would be a very quiet, almost unaudible version of Umbridge's theme, just right when they first see her in the Ministry of Magic.

Hooper pumped so much sweetness and unbridled enthusiasm into that theme that it's nearly impossible to use the theme in any other, more subdued, mysterious setting.

I always find it amusing when people argue whether it's insulting or not to call some composers less talented than others. That's just nature, neither does everybody have the same talent, nor can everybody accquire the musical talents of Williams' calibre by studying.

Doyle and Hooper *are* inferior to Williams; that doesn't make their efforts bad, even if I think they are in large parts, it just makes them inferior.

OK cool,

But why can't the directors hire better composers? EG Silvestri would have done a much better job IMO

Why is film scoring quality going down with each new film?

Why is film scoring quality going down with each new film?

Because of the indiscriminate Mugglenet population:

"OMG !The music in that scene was so sad *squee fart*^^!!!"

Great!

And according to Williams having to use the themes of Doyle and Hooper, well i wouldnt mind small renditions, but since those two composers didnt do any Williams theme justice, they should not be 'honored' with any hommage.

I won't believe the news until I read that he's in the studio recording the music to "Deathly Hallows."

Yes, the "I won't believe Indy 4's happening until it's filming" attitude. Right there with you.

I think I've wasted all my energy hoping he'd be back at the last moment for GoF and OotP.And Williams isn't getting any younger,I'm just hoping for now he makes it to the recording sessions of Indy 4

K.M. not sure what to make of this news

the news is being reported everywhere as if John said was actually scoring it instead of hopes he will be scoring it.

I think I've wasted all my energy hoping he'd be back at the last moment for GoF and OotP.And Williams isn't getting any younger,I'm just hoping for now he makes it to the recording sessions of Indy 4

K.M. not sure what to make of this news

The Indy & Potter news has made me happy. That's what I make of it.

It would be nice to here William's touch, once more, in Potter films. Hallows would be excellent, especially...I can imagine some haunting, "Reaching the Country/Gupta's Deliverance" music used on the visit to Godric's Hollow. THe Battle of Hogwarts will also allow some great JW music, as well as the adventure in the Ministyr of Magic, and much, much more. Williams is the only one who could cover such a wide variety of events and moods in Hallows, and I hope the producers or directors notice that. My second choice would be Hooper, though.

Random comment from The Leaky Cauldron:

"While I recognize John Williams is brillant, he also has an annoying habit of ‘swelling’ the music so that it overshadows and drowns out the dialogue…he did it in Star Wars as well as the early HP films. Sorry, i like listening to the dialogue more than the music"

K.M.

"While I recognize John Williams is brillant, he also has an annoying habit of ‘swelling’ the music so that it overshadows and drowns out the dialogue…he did it in Star Wars as well as the early HP films. Sorry, i like listening to the dialogue more than the music"

K.M.

Oh no!!! The return of Pauline Kael! :lol:

Of course,Williams scores have actually been undermixed for the last decade to the point where it's nearly impossible to hear many cues in the film.

I guess it was more important to hear Harry scream of joy when he rides Buckbeak than to hear Buckbeak's Flight properly.Or the students cheering during The House Cup

the news is being reported everywhere as if John said was actually scoring it instead of hopes he will be scoring it.

And they don't take into account several factors, like:

a) Williams might as well have said that only because any other answer might not be adequate or less problematic for a fan-idol quick chat. (Imagine him saying, "Not in a million years my friend").

b) The decision is not Williams alone to make, although he does, of course, have plenty of weigh in it.

c) Nothing against fan reports, but there is no other evidence on the matter

That being said, all I can add at this point is, "who knows".

K.M.

Well I guess there's one person who likes the "Music? What music?" mix in CoS.

They even report it on the main page on MuggleNet now (some really odd comments in the "comments" section though); looks like people are taking this news seriously. I hope it indeed is to be taken seriously. I would love to have John Williams write for Harry Potter again. I personally sorely miss his involvement. John Williams definitely confirmed writing for Indiana Jones IV, possibly unreleased music being released from Star Wars and John Williams possibly writing for Harry Potter again: Not a bad week, is it?

possibly unreleased music being released from Star Wars and John Williams possibly writing for Harry Potter again: Not a bad week, is it?

Both are highly questionable.

Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but I was here when the news about the real nature of the TPM UE broke.

I've seen grown men cry here.....

They even report it on the main page on MuggleNet now (some really odd comments in the "comments" section though)

Posted by superfish31 13 minutes ago

I liked the soundtrack for the 1st 2. MAY I ADD THAT I STRONGLY THINK THAT SIRIUS BLACK IS PROBABLY THE HOTTEST MAN ON EARTH!! (I would say Gary Oldman, but he dosn't look that good with his Sirius Black stuff off, so -- just sirius black) :DDD He's the hottest guy on harry potter.

They even report it on the main page on MuggleNet now (some really odd comments in the "comments" section though)

Posted by superfish31 13 minutes ago

I liked the soundtrack for the 1st 2. MAY I ADD THAT I STRONGLY THINK THAT SIRIUS BLACK IS PROBABLY THE HOTTEST MAN ON EARTH!! (I would say Gary Oldman, but he dosn't look that good with his Sirius Black stuff off, so -- just sirius black) :DDD He's the hottest guy on harry potter.

Heh, you missed the rest of it KM:

"I reallly hope chris colombus directs it. I dont even care how long it is. The first two were AWESOME and then the other ones sucked. I still watched them for the hot guys.. but they sucked. I can't wait for the 7th movie.. I'm going to cry. :'("

Mugglenet's also saying that Williams said he was "sorely missed" in the last two films, which of course he didn't. It's amazing how blown out of proportion this is getting everywhere. There's also an article at AICN that pretty much says Williams is "definately" returning.