JW doing the World Series

Wycket

John Williams and the Boston Pops are performing the National Anthem. Check it out on Fox.

how did this sneak up on us without anyone knowing it until it happened...

shame shame

just saw it.

Kinda cool. Had that patriotic-patriot style drum beat, but it sounds different... a somewhat different style for him... I notice that a lot of the low brass had most of the strain-release movement during that..

I like the trumpet parts... quite cool.

Damn I missed it too.Why was this not known in advance?

Too bad he didn't lose his memory and play Star Wars instead

What did the commentators say?

K.M.

The intro was done by the public address announcer at the game. He gave alot of high praise to Williams, the kind that would make Dan Hobgood puke in his mouth. ;)

As a piece of trivia for fans of The Star-Spangled Banner and those who have performed it, please listen to the chording for the line, "O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave?" There is a minor chord on "wa" followed by a major F chord.

I believe that was a subtle tribute to John Kiley, who was the organist for decades at both Boston Garden for the Bruins and Celtics and Fenway Park. I've zipped a letter off to Mr. Williams in care of his agent to confirm.

Kiley, for those who don't know, was one of the great hockey/basketball/baseball organists. He was most famous for his under-one-minute rendition of our national anthem.

If anyone can make an MP3 of it, please post it so we can all enjoy!

That was certainly a nice surprise. The only thing that would make it better is a Sox loss, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. I have no faith in the Rockies' pitching, and Beckett is simply unstoppable in the postseason. Alas.

The intro was done by the public address announcer at the game. He gave alot of high praise to Williams, the kind that would make Dan Hobgood puke in his mouth. :lol:

;)

3-0 Boston after 1, by the way.

It's funny, when Boston made it's Series run in '04 it was a big deal here, we had a huge multi-page thread and everything. Did we have more Boston area members then (thinking of Disk for one), or is it just because it's no longer a "breaking the curse" story?

With Kevin Garnett going to the Celtics and the way the Patriots are playing I bet bandwagon fans are coming out from every crack and corner.

Mark, you have no idea what bandwagon fans are until you see all the burnt orange I put up with every day in what 5-10 years ago was a solid A&M town.

BTW, for the insanely curious the aforementioned 2004 thread is here.

Mark, you have no idea what bandwagon fans are until you see all the burnt orange I put up with every day in what 5-10 years ago was a solid A&M town.

BTW, for the insanely curious the aforementioned 2004 thread is here.

No there are plenty of UT bandwagoners here after VY won Mack Brown the only National Title he'll ever taste.

Rats, I missed this. If someone made an mp3, it would be awesome if you could email it to me.

And I think that that picture is the first time I've seen John Williams wearing something other than a suit or a black turtleneck.

For those of you that missed it, the arrangement was absolutely incredible. The Star Spangled Banner has received many treatments over the years, but this one was awesomely John Williams... some very interesting and clever chords and internal movements... this is the most different and clever arrangement of TSB I've ever heard. PLEASE, someone post a MP3 and/or video, if you've got it.

Thank you VERY MUCH for posting this!

The section, "At the twilights last gleaming" is why I am such a tremendous JW fan... this passage is amazing and so clever and distinctly JW. This man never ceases to amaze.

You can find a streaming video of JW's performance of the US National Anthem HERE (click on "Williams conducts anthem").Really nice! :unsure:
Is there any way to "save" it?
Ooooh, cool arrangement. We need a studio recording of this!Ray Barnsbury
Actually one exists. It was recorded by a Japanese orchestra a few years back, and released on an expensive two CD set that also includes Williams own "Sound the Bells!" for brass band (the original version). And that's one of those CDs I still have to get...

Interesting rendtion of the Anthem, especially the Tuba(Bass) parts.

Damn, that announcer's speech was....wordy.

They were broadcasting the game but they cut off the anthem.

I was like...."Fuck".

So thanks for the link.

:angry:

hadne you heard the hla leonard site version? its great. It makes you want to be american...

Oh, wow. So Williams has done two versions of the piece, I guess? Because the one at Hal Leonard is definitely different from the World Series performance. Here's the Hal Leonard version.

As an unrelated sidenote, wasn't there someone who found an easy way to remove the copy-protection "beeps" from mp3's on that site? :angry:

Ray Barnsbury

The one on the Hal Leonard site was written for the Rose Bowl a few years back. I actually did a cut and paste (becuase of legnth) arrangement of it this past summer for my old high school's marching band.

He should have kept right on playing after the anthem, just launch straight into a medley of his film themes. The announcer did mention Raiders after all... or better yet a sample of the new score!