Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

I thought the selection of Blu-rays in HMV Oxford Street was pretty dire.

OH, DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THAT!!!!! Apparently HMV had such a great offer on their flagship Oxford Circus site that they couldn't say "no". So, instead of a fantastic, vast 3-floor store, we have a piss-poor "regional" shop. Bulls**t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better of going to Sister Rays, in Soho, or the Notting Hill R+TE.Bah-humbug to HMV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

105570_large.jpg

Have seen the 2nd film only once and I don't remember anything, but the 1st is a huge favourite and looking forward to watching it again!

I think the last time I watched it may have been more than 17 years ago!!!

It was also the first Sigourney Weaver role I saw..

• 1 month later...

Zavvi has a sale in some Blurays, plus a 10% off discount code for 24 hours, so I'm buying these steelbooks (can't believe how i hadn't watched Die hards in my childhood/teens! They're so classic! And BTILC):

10811499-1370347156-295396.jpg10831040-1373473340-313897.jpg

BIG_TROUBLE_ILC_3D_SB_FRONT_V6comp.jpg

(can't believe how i hadn't watched Die hards in my childhood/teens! They're so classic!)

1 and 3 are. 2 isn't!

Big Trouble In Little China is hilarious.

Haven't watched 3 yet.

But I liked 2 better than 1. Because it was so over the top! :P

2 is even more over the top. And it's the reason why I prefer 1. Pretty much every single death in Die Hard 2 occurs in slow-motion. Talk about overkill.

3 is great, though. Love the thrillride through New York.

Well, yes, but that's in a series where we get only one death every week. Die Hard 2's body count is considerably larger.

Also, when you use slow-motion to make every death dramatic, they end up all looking the same. And when everything's dramatic, nothing is, really.

Is the cover the only difference?

probably. But there were a lot of good choices.

Finally purchased Schindler's List on Bluray, and looking forward to receiving it and watching it again!

Really exquisite performance by Fiennes that should have won the Oscar.

I wanted to ask, is this the original theatrical trailer? I'm not sure if I had ever seen it.

Does anyone know what is the music playing?

edit: Oh, i found out it's Kilar's Exodus.

Die Hard 3 is terrible. There is no reason for it to exist. Without bonnie the film has no reason for being. And talk about a terrible villain.

I love Die Hard 3, love it way more than 2. Best score of the three also.

Love Jeremy Iron's villain!

And Bonnie appears on the phone at the end.

I didn't think so either. He's on the phone with his wife, but we don't hear her voice, right?

We hear a voice, which sounds a bit different then Bonnies.

And she is not credited in the film, nor is Die Hard 3 listed on her IMDB page.

Jeremy Irons and Samuel Jackson suck ass in the 3rd. Die Hard has two films and 3 and eventually 4 bad follow ups.

Jeremy Irons and Samuel Jackson suck ass in the 3rd. Die Hard has two films and 3 and eventually 4 bad follow ups.

The series died hard when the accidental/reluctant hero become the focus and target.

Unless he's implying they are making a 6th right now. Are they? So then there will be two trilogies of DH films? Dear lord! I don't even know why/how the modern ones make money...

Don't do math Jason. 3 eventual 4 follow ups is correct. 3, 4, and 5. With the eventual 6 on its way.

And I agree about how they make money. But some folks like 3 4 5 and will love 6.

I don't know anybody that liked Die Hard 4 or 5

Here's what wiki says about 6:

Before production of A Good Day to Die Hard, Bruce Willis stated that he hoped to retire the character of John McClane after the sixth film. He said "At the moment, I can run and I can fight on screen. But there will come a time when I no longer want to do that. That’s when I’ll step away from the Die Hard films".
On February 7, 2013, one week before the release of the fifth film, talk of a sixth film was already beginning. In an interview to promote the fifth film, Bruce Willis simply replied "Yes", if there will be a Die Hard 6. Willis has stated he would like it if Reginald Veljohnson and Bonnie Bedelia would reprise their roles as Al Powell and Holly Gennero for the sixth film. Other possible actors include Samuel L. Jackson, Justin Long, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Jai Courtney. Willem Dafoe has been rumoured to play the film's main antagonist.As of October 2014, the project is still in the early pre-production phase

One can hope 6 is never made. Unlike some I do not disregard a great film just because of bad sequel

• 3 weeks later...

Going through my piles of un-looked-at mail today on my day off.

Recently arrived from Amazon:

Speed Dual Action Pack (Contains Speed and Speed 2: Cruise Control)

Yea, I know Speed 2 is a bad movie, but it's kind of a guilty pleasure (Willem Defoe as the bad guy!) and I freaking LOVE the score (and want to rip the unreleased bits in lossless)

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug (Extended Edition)

Gonna rip this lossless audio track too!

What, the film itself on blu ray? It arrived on my doorstep on release day, which was exactly 1 week ago today, I just hadn't mentioned it until now. Or did you think this was a soundtrack thread?

• 2 weeks later...

24246_large.jpg

These are the remastered German editions that have much better picture quality than the US ones.

Looking forward to watching the first film since its plot is around Christmas.

I will keep the others for later (spring -summer).

Love classic 80s action films!

Still can't believe (like Die Hard) how hadn't I watched Rambo till my 30 years.. (well, actually I had watched only the 2nd film)

And I'm really glad this box doesn't have the 4th movie.

I'm hoping to buy on Monday the Spielberg box set, and some Christmas classics (Christmas in Connecticut, Christmas Carol [1984], Holiday Inn, The Bishop's Wife)

I picked up a bunch of stuff on Amazon over the past couple days.

Out Of The Furnace [$7.99]

The King's Speech [$3.99]

Godzilla [$7.96]

Captain Phillips [$5.99]

The Rover [$6.96]

Blue Jasmine [$12.49]

Inside Man [$3.99]

Rain Man [$3.99]

And since B&N had a 30% off any item coupon for Black Friday I used it on their already 50% off Criterion sale and picked up Fanny & Alexander.

Got Eastern Promises and A History of Violence on BluRay in HMV in their 2 for €15 deal. Never seen them but I love the scores to both.

They're both very good. History of Violence has one of the most brilliant final scenes I've seen.

I picked up a bunch of stuff on Amazon over the past couple days.

Out Of The Furnace [$7.99]

The King's Speech [$3.99]

Godzilla [$7.96]

Captain Phillips [$5.99]

The Rover [$6.96]

Blue Jasmine [$12.49]

Inside Man [$3.99]

Rain Man [$3.99]

And since B&N had a 30% off any item coupon for Black Friday I used it on their already 50% off Criterion sale and picked up Fanny & Alexander.

I used it on the same Bluray! ;)

By the way, I would normally get Rainman too, but I've got a dilemma since it's been cropped and zoomed in!

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4618&disc2=4619&cap1=42952&cap2=43001&art=full&image=0&hd_multiID=1891&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Watched Eastern Promises last night and loved it. Will get to A History if Violence next weekend or the weekend after. I bought both on the strengths of their scores. (AHoV is very LotR sounding actually).

The only other colaboration between Shore and Cronenberg is The Fly. So after those three what would people recommend next?

The only other colaboration between Shore and Cronenberg is The Fly.

No, they've collaborated on tons of other films!