Worst 5 Composers

Koray Savas

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Face it, this thread is just begging for BS responses. This is one of those threads that does nothing but piss people off. So if someone is going to just say "Zimmer is crap," then by god I'll level the playing field with "Williams is crap." Otherwise it's just hypocrisy.

I think it's only pissed you off.

Everyone is entitled to an educated opinion.

Oh I'm not pissed off at all. But I think the guy who responded to my first post might be. I was proving a point - everyone is fine until someone names their favorite composer in their top 5.

Maurice Jarre

Leave Maurice out of it. The David Lean scores, the Peter Weir scores, Jesus of Nazareth......come on....Is Paris burning?????

"So long as the Zimmerites fight tribe against tribe, so long will they be a little people, a silly people - greedy, barbarous, and cruel, as you are."

Lawrence of Arabia is a terrible score.

So terrible it was used effectively in "The Fly Who Bugged Me" and parodied in "The Cannonball Run"

Next you'll be telling me Gabriel Yared's "The English Patient" is a crap score.

Oh I'm not pissed off at all. But I think the guy who responded to my first post might be. I was proving a point - everyone is fine until someone names their favorite composer in their top 5.

But, people have named your favorite composer. Surely you must not like that.

One name that has yet to be mentioned is Eric Serra.

His music is utter crap, what the producers of Goldeneye were thinking is beyond me.

I love Eric Serra! Although it may not be quality music, it's enjoyable. The producers were thinking they need a new hip kind of score for the new generation of Bond. I think they had a lot of problems with the score, considering they rejected 2 other composers.

Face it, this thread is just begging for BS responses. This is one of those threads that does nothing but piss people off. So if someone is going to just say "Zimmer is crap," then by god I'll level the playing field with "Williams is crap." Otherwise it's just hypocrisy.

This is a serious thread. I wanted everyone to discuss what they thought were the worst composers out there, but then Hitch had to come in and be an asshole and then it all went to the crapper.

This twit Hans%20Zimmer-SGG-070251.jpg

1 "Oscar and counting says otherwise"

See how worthless that response was?

I'm not agreeing with you, I'm just calling you a hypocrite.

I won't lose a nights sleep over it.

I forgot to mention Philip Glass, I can't stand him! All his scores have that same throbbing synth sound that causes migranes. You think his cues are building up to something, they go on and on for 12 minutes, and you're waiting for something different to finally happen, and NOTHING DOES!

And to think he was the 9th living genius of the world, according to that retarded British list.

I forgot to mention Philip Glass, I can't stand him! All his scores have that same throbbing synth sound that causes migranes. You think his cues are building up to something, they go on and on for 12 minutes, and you're waiting for something different to finally happen, and NOTHING DOES!

And to think he was the 9th living genius of the world, according to that retarded British list.

You must understand the significant impact Glass had on the modern Western music canon. He is one of the few modern composers to write for film as well as the concert halls, and there is no doubt his minimalistic style has affected both mediums.

Just putting the "living genius" thing into context.

You wouldn't know good music if it came up behind you and bit you in the ass. The only thing retarded in here is you.

This is a serious thread. I wanted everyone to discuss what they thought were the worst composers out there, but then Hitch had to come in and be an asshole and then it all went to the crapper.

Unless they amend the Constitution, I can say anything I damn well please. And for your information, I am the king of crap....both physically and metaphorically....now pass me the bog roll.

You wouldn't know good music if it came up behind you and bit you in the ass.

Says the one who wants to marry Gustavo Santaolalla.

Unless they amend the Constitution, I can say anything I damn well please. And for your information, I am the king of crap....both physically and metaphorically....now pass me the bog roll.

I never said you couldn't say what you want, I said you were an asshole.

Well at least we agree on that :cool:

I never said you couldn't say what you want, I said you were an asshole.

You'd never get past the size of my asshole.

Well at least we agree on that :thumbup:

Even if I did only post the picture but I never wrote what was underneath it now, did I? "1 "Oscar and counting says otherwise""

Next you'll be telling me Gabriel Yared's "The English Patient" is a crap score.

Well ... it is.

My personal list:

1. Krauthead and his cohort of Nurenberger Bratwürstel

2. Gustavo Santaolalla (the Oscar catapults him into this list, actually)

3. Eric Serra, whose performance in "The Experience Of Love" was enough to forfeit his entire carreer

4. Gabriel Yared, also known as Gentle Piano

5. Trevor Rabin

A special mentioning deserves Nicholas Hooper, whose first score for a major motion picture doesn't spell good news for his future.

3. Eric Serra, whose performance in "The Experience Of Love" was enough to forfeit his entire carreer

Singing and composing music is two different things. I would accept you saying he uses complete synth and that you hate that.

Singing and composing music is two different things. I would accept you saying he uses complete synth and that you hate that.

Honestly, I think making this little differentiation makes little difference; his scores are just one giant mess of synth crap.

I meant Indy4.

I know you love that score.

Unfortunately, you also rank Pirates 3 as high as ST:TMP.

Actually, I rank it as higher (but I do think that ST:TMP is a great score). I know that won't make my credibility any higher, but that is honestly my opinion, and there's nothing I can do to change that.

I thought OotP was the second best Potter score yet, but I seem to be alone in that thought. Honestly, Hooper would be my second choice behind JW to score DH and HBP (not that he's my second favorite composer, but for this franchise, I think he is).

One thing I don't understand about OotP is why it gets so much extra stuff none of the other Potter scores got. I mean, I love it, but I know that overall, it is a very unpopular score in the world of Potter and film scores. It got that "special edition," its own website, I just don't understand.

I agree on that. Considering there have only been 3 composers for the series, John Williams being obvious #1, and me hating Patrick Doyle as much as I do, I would want Hooper to do the others. I like Order Of The Phoenix, nice catchy themes and good action cues.

I know it's your opinion. It's just a ... strange one :thumbup:

That OotP gets that much publicity and attention is no mystery. The poorer your product is, the more glitter you need to cover it up.

I know it's your opinion. It's just a ... strange one :thumbup:

I agree (only comparing this to the fact that I'm in the minority by loving this score to death, and having nothing to do with the actual music) ....did I just bash myself?

Brian Tyler is one of the most talented young composers around, no idea why people come up with him. Zimmer is overrated, but certainly talented.

My worst (of major Hollywood composers):

1) John Carpenter

2) Tomas Newman

3) Nicholas Hooper

4) Bill Conti

5) James Horner

The Five Worst Composers... mmmm Let me see...

1. HANS THE IDIOT ZIMMER!!!

2. I HATE THE HANS ZIMMER!!!

3. ZIMMER!!!

4. Oh Its Zimmer AGAIN!

5. Its Hans Why Not Try Writing a Melody which doesnt sound like one youve already wrote Zimmer!!!!

Brian Tyler is one of the most talented young composers around, no idea why people come up with him. Zimmer is overrated, but certainly talented.

My worst (of major Hollywood composers):

1) John Carpenter

2) Thomas Newman

3) Nicholas Hooper

4) Bill Conti

5) James Horner

Holy f***. I'd seriously like to hear why.