Face it, Michael Giacchino is the new John Williams

David Coscina

I couldn't hum a single Thomas Newman melody right now if you paid me. Williams, Elfman, Zimmer, Goldsmith, Giacchino, Horner, all the other Star Trek composers, and definitely Alfred and David and Randy... But not Thomas. Hmmm.

I couldn't hum a single Thomas Newman melody right now if you paid me. Williams, Elfman, Zimmer, Goldsmith, Giacchino, Horner, all the other Star Trek composers, and definitely Alfred and David and Randy... But not Thomas. Hmmm.

Agreed with you except for David Newman. I'm even less familiar with his work than Thomas's. At least with Alfred I know the Fox Fanfare and Randy You Gotta Friend In Me and I Love LA

I'm humming Road to Chicago as you type.

The only David Newman I've committed to memory is The Brave Little Toaster, which I have a special nostalgic fondness for. But if I'm remembering the songs that he didn't do, scratch him off the list. I never listened to Thomas' Skyfall work. The Good German is great, but I don't remember it.

Were you assuming I'd be typing a response? Dude how the fuck you know that? What are tonight Powerball numbers?

For Thomas, I remember music from Shawshank pretty well after seeing the film so many times.

Skyfall is one of the most boring scores I've ever heard to an action movie.

Spelling is fundamental.

Not with a "smart" phone just get close enouvh.

This one is in my head on a regular basis. I find the main themes from Shawshank, Little Women, Finding Nemo, and even Cinderella Man quite hummable as well.

I never listened to Thomas' Skyfall work.

Give it a listen. M's Theme is quite memorable, though it's a homphonic brass chorale, so no long-lined melody. Classic Newman.

Wonder if that dude writes on paper.

You need to listen to more Newman.

If that's not a hummable melody, then I don't know what is...

Michael Giacchino is the old Michael Giacchino and John Williams is still the man.

Ahem: The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

My history is fuzzy...but wasn't keeper of the faith a title bestowed on the highest bidder? ;) how much did you pay?!

Ahem: The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

My history is fuzzy...but wasn't keeper of the faith a title bestowed on the highest bidder? ;) how much did you pay?!

No money changed hands. I called dibs on it first!

Oh that's is such sap.

Oh that's is such sap.

Agreed. It sounds hideous. About what I would expect a TV movie special to sound like.

• 4 weeks later...

So just for record keeping purposes:

John Williams selects Thomas Newman to replace him on Bridge of Spies

John Williams selects Erskine to ghost write his trailer music for Star Wars...for JJ Abrams' Star Wars.

Michael Giacchino: 0

Everyone Else: 2

Did i miss something in the last day about star wars news (too many posts..)